Files containing separate tracks

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
kajj

Post by kajj »

Hi, I was wondering if I can download the audacity project file from a book?

I want a file that I can see the individual tracks (voices) so I can delete one tracks and replace with my own.

Ex, remove the voice of hamlet and start training my self.

If I download one book they are as one I can't see the separate tracks.

If not a project file, any other way?

/thanks
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi there and welcome!

The only files you will find on here are .mp3 files that do not have multiple tracks. That's the only files we produce, and I doubt that many people will keep their .aup files beyond cataloging or even handing in their files.

I'm afraid, you're on your one with this one.

Good luck! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

kajj wrote: December 29th, 2018, 12:17 am I want a file that I can see the individual tracks (voices) so I can delete one tracks and replace with my own.

Ex, remove the voice of hamlet and start training my self.
Are you talking about a drama or dramatic reading here?

If yes:

As Availls already mentioned, there are no .aup files, the only thing you get in the catalog are .mp3 and the pictures for the cover in an extra link. That is because the volunteers use several different programs for recording and editing. It is true that most use Audacity, but there are other out there, too :)

So, if you like a drama but mind one of the voices, or would like to do it yourself, you probably need to make a new group project and claim the role you want to speak :)

You could, for training purposes, take the mp3 and punch in the role you want to read, but I'd recommend to start out with some quite normal little poems (after having done the 1-minute-test) for some collection just to get used to the workflow here. Doing a drama is a huge task for the BC and the editor, even more than a normal solo of a book.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No one stores the multi-track audio. In fact, there may not have been a multi-track audio to start with. When I make a dramatic work, the only place I use more than one track is when voices are speaking at the same time.

So about the only thing I would suggest is taking the final file (the only one available), opening it in Audacity, and replacing the "Hamlet" lines with silence. (Highlight the voice, then go to Generate / Silence. It'll put silence where the highlighted voice was.)

I do NOT recommend opening a dramatic work project, just so that you can read the role you want. That's WAY too much work and commitment to play one role. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart