COMPLETE[fantasy/romance] Khaled, A Tale of Arabia by F. Marion Crawford -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

by Carolin

awesome! thank you!

any chance i could convince you to read another chapter for this project? im enjoying it so much :lol:
HaHa! Thank you!
But noooo. I think I shall let this go for other narrators.
I've been whispering "Children's stories! Perhaps I should try those! Or ... straight reads, with no vocal characterizations!" Ahh. So far to go on creating deep male voices. It was good to practice with this story though!

I'm very pleased if you are enjoying these chapters and I WILL say that I had a moment of genuine sadness when reading further along to find that The Sultan was *WHACKED!* I had fun setting him down!

It's always exciting to me to see the results of other literary research efforts you've shared with us, Carolin.
And I'm always pleased to DPL your projects!
Please let me know what I can correct or what else I can help with.

Very Best,
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

by Carolin

chapter three is pl ok! that battle scene is well done! :)
Wonderful! Thank you, as always, for the PL. Your work is invaluable for creating worthwhile projects.
~Angelique
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thanks angelique! i didnt really think youd want to do another, but it never hurts to try! i am sitting on the sofa with my husband today (thats what we did so far and we are not planning to do anything else today), and we listened immediately :) nothing at all to correct! thank you for giving this project such a good start!
Carolin
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

*Much Love*
~Angelique
onhyattus

Post by onhyattus »

Hi

I'd be happy to be involved in this project.
Can I put my name down for 4,5+6?

Thanks

Helena (onhyattus - psudonym)
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you Helena! :thumbs:
Carolin
onhyattus

Post by onhyattus »

Hey Carolin

Chapter 4!
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/khaled_04_crawford_128kb.mp3
28:52

Let me know if it's ok and I'll get the next chapter over to you.

Thanks

Helena (onhyattus)
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Hello, Helena!
I'm Angelique, your dedicated proof-listener. *Smile*

First, a very nice read; it flows smoothly! The long reads are especially appreciated ... and difficult to get 100% correct on the first few tries.

A few notes for you ... and please let us know if we can help you with any of this. :)

There are a couple of instances of sirens in the background.
I've marked those for you as well as I can; the sirens begin very softly, at a distance, of course, so they could have started and ended a few seconds before and after I've noted the time. It should give you a good idea of where to make the correction though. *Smile*

5:05 Sirens begin
Becomes more clear at 5:13 to 5:40

6:02 *Thunk* (Please delete.)

11:16 Audible *TISK* (Please delete.)

24:49 "so that a splashing sound"
I hear "so that a plashing spound"
(Yes, indeed. That WOULD be a difficult sound combination to get down! *Smile*)

24:50 to about 26:07 Sirens audible

I'll be happy to spot check the file when you get the corrections to us.

Overall ... *Thank you* for your contribution here!

The long reads are especially appreciated ... and difficult to get 100% PL OK at first.

Happy to listen at your convenience
~Angelique
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you both :D

Helena, see if you can do anything about the sirens, but if you cant you can leave it as is. We all have to make do with the environment we live in and while we do expect readers to turn off sounds they can control (including family members haha), we cant do anything about the occasional passing car, siren, and chirping birds. As long as these sounds are not too distracting, thats okay :)
Carolin
onhyattus

Post by onhyattus »

BurgundyGrace wrote: March 6th, 2019, 5:19 pm
A few notes for you ... and please let us know if we can help you with any of this. :)
Hey Angelique

Thank you for your feedback.
I will take you up on your offer of assistance 😀
There are a couple of instances of sirens in the background.

5:05 Sirens begin
Becomes more clear at 5:13 to 5:40
I have WaveEditor app on an Android phone.
It has a fair few 'effects' 😀 but I'm not familiar with any of them. Can you suggest a function that will cancel out the sirens?

Lol I didn't even hear them when I was listening back the first time. Must be used to it as we live on the way to the hospital. Just hope I'm not giving my area a bad reputation, two sets of sirens in under 30 mins!
6:02 *Thunk* (Please delete.)
This is part of my breath, I think. When I tried to nip it out, I was taking part of the word - rest -

I'll have to rerecord the sentence (I'm doing more recording tomorrow).
24:49 "so that a splashing sound"
I hear "so that a plashing spound"
(Yes, indeed. That WOULD be a difficult sound combination to get down! *Smile*)
Hahaha - the text says "plashing sound" and I kept on doubting myself as to whether it was an error in the text, but plashing is also a word if archaic, so in the end decided to trust it - but clearly my tongue hadn't trusted and put the "p" sound in anyway! lol
Overall ... *Thank you* for your contribution here!
Thank you! For your clear and helpful feedback!
I should get the amendments up tomorrow evening 😀

Helena
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Hello, Helena!

I'm not familar with your editing software, so can't help you with any noise cancel effects.
"Help" forum may be better able to assist you, but really the only way I've ever found to cut out sirens ... is to cut it entirely and re-record. *frown*
Always a disappointment, I know ... but yessss indeed! I have hours of police sirens/ambulances/airplanes/helicopters/ neighbor dogs with deep chest barks and *shrug* ... neighbors who have a hobby of slamming plastic trash bin lids 8-10 times in succession ... multiple times per day.
*Laugh*
It can pose, shall we say, a "challenge."
Still, please ask in HELP for further assistance for software assistance; someone there may have a different, better answer for you.

I did hear the sirens in your recording while listening with "bare ear" ... just with the computer speakers at 65%, as I usually do.
Personally, *I* would want to know about them, but as Carolin indicated, if it doesn't bother you, then she's okay with you leaving it in.

Thunks, hisses, hard breaths, slithers, crackling will all happen; it's just part of recording ... groaning to say.
I only note those things if it creates a startle effect in me (and it's all subjective.) As such, if it doesn't sound distracting to you, please just let me know, don't change it and I'll know to not listen to that section in my Notes when spot checking.

Yes, that older style English employs language not necessarily common to contemporary speech ... and sometimes, I think we altered their common verbage EXACTLY because it can be difficult to pronounce!
So Very Many Tounge Twisters!

There is no huge rush to make any corrections you'd like.
If you feel that the sirens and what I could only describe, as I heard it, as a *Thunk*, then please leave it, indicate that you decline to make the change, and I'll listen only to that which you've decided to alter.

Again, thank you for your work here; this is a great book, and I'd like to see it finished within six months or so. Your contributions go a long way to that end!

Best,
~Angelique
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Hey helena, any chance you can find a computer on which to install audacity? It will make your experience a lot easier moving forward, audacity is considered by most of us the best free software for audio editing :)
Carolin
safasofia

Post by safasofia »

Hi there, I'd love to sign up for a chapter! :clap:
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thats great! Which one would you like? :)
Carolin
catem

Post by catem »

Hi! Please could I claim chapter X ?
cate
https://www.effectivealtruism.org/