[Complete] The Tale of Kiddie Katydid by Arthur Scott Bailey - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Nedge wrote: December 18th, 2018, 12:29 pm Did anyone claim one and two yet?
You would be the first, so I'll put you in for them.
It would be great to finish this before the end of the month in that final push to reach 1,000 projects for the year.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

laurie02 wrote: December 19th, 2018, 4:05 am I'm new to Librivox - really new! But I would like to try my hand at recording, would it be ok if I was to do chapter one? That is if nobody else has claimed it :)
Hi! Well, another claim for sections 1 an 2 came in just before you, so I need to assign them to that person.

And, before you record for a project, we do ask that you complete a one-minute test recording to check out the specifications. Look at point 2 in the initial post in this, or any project thread and follow the link to the Newbie Guide to Recording. There is a lot of information there that you need to know including how to record and submit that 1-min recording.

Hope to hear you on another project.
~ Larry
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

I will give up the claim to Laurie. Since she is new, I want her to have it. If you have any difficulty, I'll be glad to do them. :)

Nan
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

I will PL these over the weekend, not feeling my best, so want to feel a little better to listen.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Nedge wrote: December 19th, 2018, 5:12 pm I will give up the claim to Laurie. Since she is new, I want her to have it. If you have any difficulty, I'll be glad to do them. :)

Nan
Well, I'll leave you in for now.
I sent her a PM about the 1-min test, but haven't heard back.
I hope she'll get a good start, so let's see.
Thanks for your understanding.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

jenniferrd wrote: December 19th, 2018, 7:18 pm I will PL these over the weekend, not feeling my best, so want to feel a little better to listen.
Sure, take the time you need.
I really appreciate all your good work! :9:
~ Larry
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Chapter 13 - PL OK! Very nice! :clap: :clap:
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Chapter 17 - PL Ok!
Hi Aleacia,
I know this is among your first recording, so I wanted to give a little advice, because I noticed a lot of plosives in your recording. These are where the hard consonants really pop in the recording, like P, T and D, and it makes it a little uncomfortable for the listener. There are several things you can do, and there are whole forum posts if you want to look for other advice as well. One thing it to create a foam shield or even make one out of an embroidery hoop and nylon stockings. One of the easiest, and I'm going to suggest this for you, it sounds like you're right on top of the microphone, so back off or turn your gain down. Also try not to talk directly into the microphone, rather go off to the side or over the top so your breath doesn't go directly in the microphone. Here is a guide to start you off and explain a little better: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Improve_Your_Recording.

You have a very nice reading voice, I look forward to listening to your future recordings!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thanks for the PL!
If we can get these last three done, we'll have this finished for the 2018 catalog!
~ Larry
TroubleATM

Post by TroubleATM »

jenniferrd wrote: December 24th, 2018, 12:43 pm Chapter 17 - PL Ok!
Hi Aleacia,
I know this is among your first recording, so I wanted to give a little advice, because I noticed a lot of plosives in your recording. These are where the hard consonants really pop in the recording, like P, T and D, and it makes it a little uncomfortable for the listener. There are several things you can do, and there are whole forum posts if you want to look for other advice as well. One thing it to create a foam shield or even make one out of an embroidery hoop and nylon stockings. One of the easiest, and I'm going to suggest this for you, it sounds like you're right on top of the microphone, so back off or turn your gain down. Also try not to talk directly into the microphone, rather go off to the side or over the top so your breath doesn't go directly in the microphone. Here is a guide to start you off and explain a little better: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Improve_Your_Recording.

You have a very nice reading voice, I look forward to listening to your future recordings!
Thank you for the advice! I noticed I do tend to pop my p’s, but I didn’t have a foam shield for my mic until this past weekend, so I’ll keep this in mind for future recordings. It’s been about a year since I took a class at my university dealing with voice and diction (which covered vowels, consonants, scoring a script, etc.) and I haven’t practiced a lot with not popping consonants. Thank you again for the tips and I will put forth the effort to get better! 😊
Aleacia Messiah
TroubleATM

Post by TroubleATM »

TroubleATM wrote: December 24th, 2018, 1:14 pm
jenniferrd wrote: December 24th, 2018, 12:43 pm Chapter 17 - PL Ok!
Hi Aleacia,

Thank you for the advice! I noticed I do tend to pop my p’s, but I didn’t have a foam shield for my mic until this past weekend, so I’ll keep this in mind for future recordings. It’s been about a year since I took a class at my university dealing with voice and diction (which covered vowels, consonants, scoring a script, etc.) and I haven’t practiced a lot with not popping consonants. Thank you again for the tips and I will put forth the effort to get better! 😊
Also, I believe I pronounced Katydid wrong in this section, so I made a note to pronounce it correctly in section 3. Do you want me to re-record Section 17 so it is consistent?
Aleacia Messiah
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Oh, I don't know. I say onward and upwards. If you wanted to do anything, maybe go through the reading and reduce the audio where the plosives are so they are not that high in the mix (maybe reduce by -4db??), you could even rerecord the sentences that have them and where the mispronounced words are - you're not the only one that pronounced it that way if that makes you feel better, just note if you don't have the exact same setup that might sound different. I think most of us just try to get better on the next recording. I really liked your reading and it's PL OK as it is.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I agree.
There is nothing here that needs to be recorded again, unless you really want to. We all vary in pronunciation and we enjoy that variety. The plosives are something to work on, but they aren't serious enough in this recording to need correction.

Jennifer has given you some good pointers and resources, so this is just part of the learning process. We don't expect perfection by any means (or I'd have to quit :roll: ), so just do the best you can. We appreciate your participation so very much! :clap:
~ Larry
TroubleATM

Post by TroubleATM »

silverquill wrote: December 24th, 2018, 8:47 pm I agree.
There is nothing here that needs to be recorded again, unless you really want to. We all vary in pronunciation and we enjoy that variety. The plosives are something to work on, but they aren't serious enough in this recording to need correction.

Jennifer has given you some good pointers and resources, so this is just part of the learning process. We don't expect perfection by any means (or I'd have to quit :roll: ), so just do the best you can. We appreciate your participation so very much! :clap:
Will do! Thank you Jennifer and Larry for the feedback!
Aleacia Messiah
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Lynnett, I am sorry! I was under the impression that I had relinquished these two chapters to someone, and that if you needed someone to finish them up, you'd PM. I'm embarrassed. :oops:

Here are chapters 1 and 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/kiddiekatydid_01_bailey_128kb.mp3 3:56
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/kiddiekatydid_02_bailey_128kb.mp3 3:37
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021