Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin
openbookdavid

Post by openbookdavid »

Hi there,

I'd like to sign up for the remaining section, #3, "The Lazarette of the 'Huntress.'" (My first LibriVox recording!)

All the best,
David
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Hi david, thats great!

To be able to sign you up, i need to know under which name or pseudonym you would like to appear in the catalog. We can also link to your personal website or blog.

I see you have already completed your one minute test :thumbs: so i only need your catalog info to get you started :D
Carolin
openbookdavid

Post by openbookdavid »

Hi Carolin,

Thanks for your reply, and happy holidays! You can use my name, David McKay. My website is www.openbooktranslation.com. I've completed the recording (length 38:55, see link below), amplified to the required level, and reduced the background noise. The checker says the file is OK. I started to edit out some of the breath sounds between phrases and sentences, but about 5 minutes into the recording I started to wonder whether that was really necessary and stopped doing it. It would be great if the DPL could let me know whether any of the remaining noises seem disturbing, and whether there's any additional editing work that I should do. (I'm even happy to re-record from scratch if that seems like a good idea for some reason, but I don't anticipate that that will be necessary.)

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/phantomdeath_03_russell_128kb.mp3

There are a few little slip-ups (like "stall and strong" instead of "tall and strong"), but I either left them uncorrected (and in some cases unnoticed) as I was reading or else (maybe only in one case) corrected them as I went along, but not in a way that makes the mistake easy to find in the file or to edit out. So I've learned that lesson from my first recording; next time I'll make sure that I correct mistakes as I go, in a way that makes them easy to find and edit. I've read the suggestions about how to do that in the guide for newbies and on some of the forums here.

I also noticed myself correcting some typos as I read; I hope that's OK. In at least one case, the misspelled word wouldn't even have been pronounceable.

Any constructive criticism of any kind, from you or from the DPL, is more than welcome. I enjoyed recording the story!

All the best,
David
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

great, thank you!

i have signed you up, your personal catalog page is here: https://librivox.org/reader/12988

peter will listen to your file shortly and give you feedback :) thank you!
Carolin
macgriff

Post by macgriff »

Merry Christmas!

This is macgriff. I just wanted to post an update to let you know that I have not forgotten about the chapter I signed up to read. I had a very busy end of the semester, and now that the holidays are over, I should have the minute test and then the full recording finished soon.

I hope everyone has had a great holiday season,

MG
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you for letting us know :thumbs:
Carolin
macgriff

Post by macgriff »

Posting a link to my 1-minute test here as per the instructions on the wiki. :clap:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=73009
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs: someone will give you feedback shortly!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

we have orphans!
Carolin
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

Hi Clay and Carolin,

DPL OK for Section 8 and Section 11 :)

Clay, I really enjoy your English accent!

Best,
Pete

alphareadsbooks wrote: December 22nd, 2018, 6:27 pm Finished Section 11 - The Transport 'Palestine'. Also well written, this one made for a pretty suspenseful murder mystery.
Again, the checker said everything was fine, but please let me know if any particular problems flew over my head.
Section 11 (57:49): https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/phantomdeath_11_russell_128kb.mp3
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."
~ Charles Bukowski
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you peter!
Carolin
alphareadsbooks

Post by alphareadsbooks »

PeterMusgrove wrote: December 27th, 2018, 1:40 pm DPL OK for Section 8 and Section 11 :)

Clay, I really enjoy your English accent!
Thank you! Glad to know all those hours watching Masterpiece Mystery are paying off.
Clay Beauchamp
"It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense."
-Mark Twain
Twitter Youtube ACX
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

Hi David,

Section 3, The Lazarette of the Huntress

16:36 Repeat - "should know .... not know" (page 46)

30:10 Repeat "chief off-officer" (page 53)

31:45 "captain/cabin" (page 53)

1.5 seconds of silence at beginning to be trimmed to between 0.5 and 1.0 second.

You did such a nice job of narration that I really don't enjoy pointing out the above! :)

Best,
Pete
~ Charles Bukowski
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

Hi Carolin,

I'll sign up for Section 6, The Major's Commission.

Pete :)

Carolin wrote: December 27th, 2018, 12:32 am we have orphans!
~ Charles Bukowski