COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 062 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
soupy

Post by soupy »

The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

soupy wrote: December 17th, 2018, 12:50 pm The Vanity of Arts and Sciences (excerpt)
Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa von Nettesheim 1486-1565
Craig
Hi Craig, Thanks for this! :) What a marvelously fantastical list of enemies Agrippa von Nettesheim dreams up, who, he claims will seek to destroy him for his adherence to Scripture in preference to the Arts and Sciences!

You have one small slip of the tongue at 3:19 .The text reads: "The wenches will deny to kiss me. The giggling girls will laugh and cry "I dance like a camel." The lewd players will kill me in a tragedy." You said "kiss me in a tragedy." (which makes sense in the context of punishments for Nettesheim, I admit).

A couple of other small slips: at the top of page 5. the text reads "because I see that so many men, pufft up with Humane Knowledge and Learning..." You say "feel" for "see" and "human" for "humane" [from "humanistic].

And, a little further down on the same page, the text reads "yet attribute more authority to the maximes of philosophers than to the holy prophets of God..." It sounded to me as if you said "prophet" in the singular.

Regards,
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Sue :D Yes it is quite the list.

I think he was mainly complaining against the philosophers who would allow no questioning of their doctrines about Aristotle.

Corrections made

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

soupy wrote: December 17th, 2018, 4:04 pm Thanks Sue :D Yes it is quite the list.

I think he was mainly complaining against the philosophers who would allow no questioning of their doctrines about Aristotle.

Corrections made

Craig
PL OK! :)
mitsuw

Post by mitsuw »

soupy wrote: December 17th, 2018, 8:32 am Thanks for the reading of TS Eliot's work Sumit :D

a few errors noted.

1:56 we only conclude (we are such unconscious people) that the French are “more critical” than we – repeated we only conclude

12:45-13:18 – Section one ends by TS Eliot …. No need to read that – the only thing that should be read is “section 2” - no need to have 5 seconds silence between two sections

13:48 – no need to read section 1 – we just read the text as it appears in print.

15:42 the presence of the transforming catalyst, are of two kinds: emotions and feelings – repeated are of two kinds

25:14 – 25:31 – the only thing you should read is “section 3”

Craig
Thank you soupy for that! Oh..will remember those things in further recordings. I have corrected the file and uploaded it.
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf062_traditiontalent_eliot_sw_128kb.mp3
Recoding Time: 26 min 18 second

PS: I just had a doubt! How does one uploads corrected file?? Have I done it right?
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thank you soupy for that! Oh..will remember those things in further recordings. I have corrected the file and uploaded it.
PS: I just had a doubt! How does one uploads corrected file?? Have I done it right?
You did everything correctly Sumit :D Your corrections and the uploaded file are PLOK :thumbs:

Thanks

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
leightongarner

Post by leightongarner »

Hi! Please consider my entry with the following info:

Title of the work: Sermon 73, 1856 – Effectual Calling
Author of the work: Charles Haddon Spurgeon
LibriVox Link of Uploaded File:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf062_effectualcalling_spurgeon_lg_128kb.mp3

URL to the source: https://archive.org/details/SpurgeonNewParkPt02/page/n327

Length in minutes: 36 min 07 seconds

Name as I would like it to appear in the LibriVox catalog: Leighton Garner

Thank you!
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

leightongarner wrote: December 18th, 2018, 8:05 am Hi! Please consider my entry with the following info:

Title of the work: Sermon 73, 1856 – Effectual Calling
Author of the work: Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Thank you!
Thank you, Leighton! :) Craig will proof listen (PL) your contribution.
mitsuw

Post by mitsuw »

soupy wrote: December 18th, 2018, 5:35 am
You did everything correctly Sumit :D Your corrections and the uploaded file are PLOK :thumbs:

Thanks

Craig
Thanks Craig!! :D

Sumit
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for the great sermon about God's calling by Spurgeon Leighton :thumbs:

Very well read.

There was one typo in the reading that you missed.

27:19 Do you feel that a strong hand has god hold of you, … seems to be a typo – should be got hold

There isn't much noticable difference in the sound of it. You can correct it if you want.

Craig

I marked it PLOK :thumbs:

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Grothmann

Post by Grothmann »

Hi:

The American Flag
By Henry Ward Beecher
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 5:07

Gutenberg file --
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19926/19926-h/19926-h.htm#THE_AMERICAN_FLAG35

LV file—
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf062_americanflag_beecher_dg_128kb.mp3
Let me know if there are corrections.

Thanks
Dale
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Grothmann wrote: December 18th, 2018, 8:42 pm Hi:

The American Flag
By Henry Ward Beecher
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 5:07

Thanks
Dale
Thank you, Dale! :)
soupy

Post by soupy »

The American Flag is PlOK :thumbs:

Thanks Dale

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

"The Follies of Legislatures" by Eltweed Pomeroy (Green Bag, January 1900)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf062_folliesoflegislatures_pomeroy_cm_128kb.mp3

15:32

source: https://archive.org/details/greenbagvolume00baldgoog/page/n31

Colleen McMahon
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

ColleenMc wrote: December 20th, 2018, 2:48 pm "The Follies of Legislatures" by Eltweed Pomeroy (Green Bag, January 1900)

Colleen McMahon
Thank you, Colleen! :)

I see you've given me another new author to add to the LibriVox catalog, this time an author with a little more distinctive name than your last addition ... Eltweed Pomeroy was named after an ancestor of the same name who lived from 1585-1613, but this Eltweed lived from 1860-1924. Here is a short bio I found on the web: https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fpo13. Pomeroy "became director of the Direct Legislation League of New Jersey in 1892 and was president of the National Direct Legislation League in 1896. In this connection he wrote By the People (1900), edited the Direct Legislation Record, and was associate editor of The Arena. His accumulated papers dealing with initiative and referendum are filed in the Library of Congress."

After retirement, Pomeroy was instrumental in introducing pink grapefruit cultivation into Texas! :)