[COMPLETE] Isaac Bickerstaff, Physician and Astrologer by Sir Richard Steele - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

Section 7 is better than seciton 6, but it is also having issues with background noise. Specifically at 5:30, 7:55, 8:50 and 13:30 there are noises that sound like a cupboard closing or a door closing. One of the places sounds almost like someone coughing.

If you could re record those spots and edit them in, it would be better. I can't PL OK it until some of those obvious noises are gone. I'm not sure how to fix the other subtle, overall background noises that sound like an echo or voices from another room. Can you hear them? :?:

aniroo
aniroo :wink:
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I use an old ematic mp3 player to record. I then go to audacity and fix the recordings from there. Yes I also hear those noises, and I've have tried my hardest to try and get rid of them. I've found that when I run the noise reduction over the recording, then those odd background noises come. When I first started recording on librivox, that was never an issue for me, so I don't know what happened and I don't remember what I was doing before.

From my first couple chapters I've read for this project, have you noticed that the further I've gone that the background noise has gone away, or did it get worse? To be honest though, this is something I have tried to fix, but does it now seem like I've made it worse? Did I make the background noise worse somehow? I'm totally fine with your thoughts, so don't feel like you'd offend me somehow because I'm learning something in this process.

My biggest question is this though: are my recordings getting worse or better?

Thank you so much for helping me out, if you have any tips please let me know.
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

ej400 wrote: December 15th, 2018, 9:52 pm I use an old ematic mp3 player to record. I then go to audacity and fix the recordings from there. Yes I also hear those noises, and I've have tried my hardest to try and get rid of them. I've found that when I run the noise reduction over the recording, then those odd background noises come. When I first started recording on librivox, that was never an issue for me, so I don't know what happened and I don't remember what I was doing before.

From my first couple chapters I've read for this project, have you noticed that the further I've gone that the background noise has gone away, or did it get worse? To be honest though, this is something I have tried to fix, but does it now seem like I've made it worse? Did I make the background noise worse somehow? I'm totally fine with your thoughts, so don't feel like you'd offend me somehow because I'm learning something in this process.

My biggest question is this though: are my recordings getting worse or better?

Your readings are getting much better. Have you tried recording with audacity? It's pretty easy and there are lots of YouTube videos to give some help . The background noises come and go, I haven't listened to 8 or 9 nine yet Wil probably get to it tomorrow.

Thank you so much for helping me out, if you have any tips please let me know.
An idol
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I can't record with audacity though. I read online from a chromebook, so I can't download audacity on it. I edit my recordings using my mom's work computer which I can only use once in awhile. I'll look around on youtube then and see what I can find. Thanks again :thumbs:
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Well, I looked around on youtube but didn't find anything that could relate to the noise we are hearing. I do believe I have a backup plan though. I am guessing that I haven't made any noise reduction to the noise in the last few recordings. So with fingers crossed, I think this will be an easy fix. I'll let you know if I have any problems doing it. Thank you again!
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

ej400 wrote: December 16th, 2018, 5:14 pm Well, I looked around on youtube but didn't find anything that could relate to the noise we are hearing. I do believe I have a backup plan though. I am guessing that I haven't made any noise reduction to the noise in the last few recordings. So with fingers crossed, I think this will be an easy fix. I'll let you know if I have any problems doing it. Thank you again!
https://techguylabs.com/episodes/1368/can-i-record-and-edit-audio-chromebook
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nchsoftware.pocketwavepad_free&hl=en_US

I found theses article about recording non Chromebooks. Have you tried these?

I don't think the noises I hear are going to be affected by the noise reduction process. It's not the right kind of noise.

If you do end up recording on your Chromebook, you might not need audacity at all if you meet the requirements of MP3, 86-92 dB, Mono track, etc.

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording Here are some helpful hints.

Let me know how that works, if it works.

aniroo
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I don't think that a new recording system would be necessary, I think all I need to do is figure out a way to get rid of the background noise. I do meet the requirements with what I have right now. My family was probably doing something in the kitchen, and that's what has probably been causing the cupboard doors closing noise. I do appreciate your help though, but I'm sure I can find a way to fix it. If I can't, I'll keep in mind a new recording system. Thank you for the advice I really really really do appreciate your help. :D
Last edited by ej400 on December 16th, 2018, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

ej400 wrote: December 16th, 2018, 9:09 pm I don't think that a new recording system would be necessary, I think all I need to do is figure out a way to get rid of the background noise. My family was probably doing something in the kitchen, and that's what has probably been causing the cupboard doors closing noise. I do appreciate your help though, but I'm sure I can find a way to fix it. If I can't, I'll keep in mind a new recording system. Thank you for the advice I really really really do appreciate your help. :D
:thumbs:
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

Sections #8 and 9 are PL OK. :D

I didn't hear that odd noise in either of these. I did hear a few background clashy , banging sort of noises that were not as loud as others,so I OKd it. JUst be careful to record when no one is around to open or close doors or cupboards. They can be heard.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

You were right. Noise reduction wouldn't get rid of the noise, and I'm actually going to start recording with something else. The link that you sent me wouldn't download on my chromebook, but I have found some things that might work. When I find one, I'm going to be doing a one minute test to make sure it works. Thank you again
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I forgot that I have another mp3 player which is newer than the last one, and can record much better. I made my own practice test to see how it does with noise reduction and amplifying, and it worked excellent. There wasn't any background noise really. As for the noise that we keep hearing (I don't know what to call it :lol: ), there was only the very slightest amount of it but it didn't affect much of the vocals. I think it was better than section 8 and 9, since it only comes when I'm reading. I'll still do the one minute test though. I was wondering if you could PL the one minute test though, since you know what noise were listening for?

Thank you
Elijah.
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

The one minute test sounds good. So do you want to re record those sections where I gave notes, 5, 6, and 7 I think. :D

aniroo
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I literally just got finished re-reading :lol: I should have them in soon (after lunch). Thank you