PD release party!

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Forget celebrating the new year with your family and friends. Let's celebrate this new year, and all the new books that will be available to us, right here! How will that work, with all the different time zones we represent? I really don't know! Post here when midnight hits in your area? Maybe those of us who wish can create recordings, or even videos, of themselves counting down to the new year, and sharing with us what 1923 books they wish to work on?

Or maybe (this came to me just now, as I typed), we could even compile these recordings together to become the next podcast? I've never done a podcast before, and I have no idea how it works, but what do you guys think?
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

YES! I can finally do Emily of New Moon, by Lucy Maud Montgomery!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: SO excited! :D :D
A podcast is a good idea- How exactly might that work? :wink:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

No idea! We used to do them on a regular basis (and by we, I mean they, because that was before I joined), and still do one occasionally, but I've never been involved in that process.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

There seems to be less interest in them these days, certainly from contributors. Maybe the world has changed, maybe much of what can be said has been said, and the last few ideas don't seem to have got very far, but you can start one if you like. I'm being sort of Cassandra-ish and I don't claim to be infallible :D

Anne
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Let me know if you decide to go ahead with this podcast, and Bachelor #1 and I will work up some sort of a routine.

Cheers,
Chris

P.S. Bachelor #1 wants to go with a transcendentalist schtick for what it’s worth. :wink:
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I think I'd like to try, but as I've said, I've never done anything remotely related to a LV podcast before. Anyone want to give me some pointers? I guess I could try the wiki.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

cori used to do a lot of them, she might be willing to lend you a hand to get this rolling :)

i think the only thing thats needed to get the podcasts moving again is a handful of people who want to move them. if you have three or four enthousiastic podcasters others will join in - or not, but you dont absolutely need more than three people for one of the librivox style podcasts :)
Carolin
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Here's a thread Bob Gonzalez had put together. Some of it is outdated, but it might help: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37182
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Cori

Post by Cori »

That's good info from Bob, yes. Here's the summary (edited to simplify a bit):

HOW TO HOST A PODCAST
To get started:
* Post a thread in Volunteers Wanted: Other Projects announcing the podcast (ALREADY DONE, HERE! :thumbs: )
And/or start PMing people you know for contributions
* Collect contributions - people can use the ‘cs – cori’ folder
* Note to participants that their contributions may be edited in service of making a good show (because we don't, for example, want to listen to 10 people reading the same question before getting to their answer!)

To make the podcast:
* Arrange all the files in a sequence
* Script & record your introductions, transitions, conclusion, etc. as well as your own contribution, if any
* Edit together all the files, as you would do with a dramatic reading - you may need to noise-clean, change volumes, etc.
* Export as mp3 with all normal LV settings
* Upload to ‘cs – cori’ folder

To cast the pod: (this is not proper terminology, but y'all know what I mean ;) )
* Post show notes in the podcast planning thread - use viewtopic.php?p=1532463#p1532463 as a template (this is copied and pasted into the blog, so it's good to keep it standard!) The uploader link goes in place of the archive.org mp3 link temporarily.
* If an MC doesn't post that they're picking it up, you may need to PM and ask. Any MC can do it in theory, but usually it's Tricia or sometimes me (I'm not always able to, energy-wise.)
* Sit back and enjoy
* Come back in a year's time and be completely bewildered by the show that you will then have no memory of (I did a New Year show last year!?! :D )
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks Cori! I have a bit of a short attention span- this had already kind of dropped off my radar. Thanks for reminding me! We're running out of time before the new year begins, so if I do this, it'll be kind of "quick and dirty," so to speak. Also I'm in the middle of trying to wrap up this year's Christmas short works collection. :roll:

So if anybody really wants to twist my arm to make sure this happens, go ahead and record something for me to use so that I'll feel obligated! :lol:

How do you plan to ring in the new year?
What 1923 books, if any, are you most excited about? Do you plan to record it/them as a solo or start a group project? (This is mainly what I'll try to focus on!)
Do you have any LV goals for the coming year, or did you set any goals in 2018 that you'd like to review?
Anything else you'd like to share?
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Hi Devorah,

While Bachelor #1 and I don't actually have any 1923 books themselves ready waiting in the holding pen, we thought you might perhaps have use for a short opening prologue to warm up the audience.

https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/podcast_nye_2018_sote_prologue.mp3

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Chris! I may not use the whole thing, but then again, I might! We certainly can't leave out Bachelor #1! I will start a new thread in Volunteers Wanted, summarizing the important info for potential contributors.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

progressingamerica

Post by progressingamerica »

Will this be a recurring annual party?

In other words, 1923 works go PD in 2019; 1924 works PD in 2020; 1925 works in 2021; etc etc
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Current copyright law in the US is that works enter PD 95 years after publication, so yes, books published in 1924 will become PD in 2020 and so forth. Under current law*. It's still possible that could change again.

Even if it doesn't change, that doesn't mean that this kind of podcast (or what I'm calling "release party") will happen every year. That will depend on whether anyone feels like organizing it next year.

*US law is further complicated by several other factors, one of them being that eventually, it will become Life+70. I think that will begin for authors who died in 1970-something, but I can't remember the year for sure.