COMPLETE [Play] The Gondoliers by W.S. Gilbert - annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Please start with your voice credit "Giulia read by..." Then say Act 1, then read all the female chorus lines (also called contadine) with breaks of about 2 seconds between each section.

If you see "etc" please repeat the whole chorus as you would if you were singing, don't say "etc".

Yes, the formatting is a bit tricky especially in Act 1. Sometimes the chorus is called "All" so watch for that as well especially in the finale of each act.

If you get stuck just post back here - I've performed Gondoliers on stage enough times that I know the material pretty well! I was actually thinking of doing it again when I retired from performing, so I remember it fondly! My last actual performance on stage ended up being "Tales of Hoffmann", which is opera rather than operetta - maybe I'll do a Librivox version of that one next!
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Hi, just wondering before I record and submit my lines - for the chorus (and just generally for anything that several people read at the same time), I assume whoever records first sets the 'pace' and everyone follows just to make the editor's life easier? :D has this been done yet or shall I take the lead?

Also, for the songs, just wondering if you wanted me to use a particular melody or just to make up my own thing.
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Update: just saw there's meant to be no singing, so I'll do that lol
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

You are actually the last of the female chorus to get your recording done - if you want to hear the pace of the others both Vittoria and Fiametta are PL OK and down the bottom of the MW.
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Okay thanks - one more thing - for the chorus lines, do I only have to read 'Chorus of Girls', or read for every single time there is a Chorus part?
benderca

Post by benderca »

Elizabby wrote: December 12th, 2018, 5:13 am You are actually the last of the female chorus to get your recording done - if you want to hear the pace of the others both Vittoria and Fiametta are PL OK and down the bottom of the MW.
I listened to both of those when I recorded the Chorus of Contadines (Vittoria & Fiamentta), and one was fast and one was slow, so I went in the middle (but am prepared to rerecord if ncessary).

In the quartettes with Tomas, Leanne, whoever plays Marco and me, and the quintette including Beth, no one had submitted, so I just set my own pace. I hope to post soon.
Last edited by benderca on December 12th, 2018, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
benderca

Post by benderca »

leanneyauyau wrote: December 12th, 2018, 5:46 am Okay thanks - one more thing - for the chorus lines, do I only have to read 'Chorus of Girls', or read for every single time there is a Chorus part?
I interpretted that Tessa and Gianetta belong to the Chorus of Contadine in the first scene, but later after they get married and the gondoliers are getting ready to leave, it seems they don’t belong to the chorus of girls. (The chorus sings about them in third person, I believe).
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

benderca wrote: December 12th, 2018, 9:14 am
leanneyauyau wrote: December 12th, 2018, 5:46 am Okay thanks - one more thing - for the chorus lines, do I only have to read 'Chorus of Girls', or read for every single time there is a Chorus part?
I interpretted that Tessa and Gianetta belong to the Chorus of Contadine in the first scene, but later after they get married and the gondoliers are getting ready to leave, it seems they don’t belong to the chorus of girls. (The chorus sings about them in third person, I believe).
Right...I'll read for both Chorus of Contadine and the Chorus of Girls (since that was in the mw?) unless otherwise instructed then.
Last edited by leanneyauyau on December 12th, 2018, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

If everyone could do all the chorus parts for their gender please, then we can mix and match.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Here is the Duke.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gondoliers_duke_1.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/gondoliers_duke_2.mp3

So hard not to sing! I may have recorded too many chorus lines but figure that is better than the reverse.

Thanks, Todd
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks Todd! I'm away at the beach at the moment but it's on my PL list for when I get back!
nimnom

Post by nimnom »

Guilia Act 1 (and chorus)

5 mins 39 secs

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/gondoliers_guilia_1.mp3

I hope I got it all and not the wrong Chorus bits - was a tad fiddly, but I see I'm not the only one to find it so :-)

Happy New Year to all.

Naomi
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Foon wrote: November 13th, 2018, 12:14 pm Hi Beth,

Here are the files with corrections:

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/gondoliers_duchess_1.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/gondoliers_duchess_2.mp3
Thanks! I've had a little time to do some quick spot PLs, and The Duchess of Plaza-Toro is now fully PL OK! :thumbs:
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Carolin wrote: December 2nd, 2018, 3:34 am inez, 0:44
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/gondoliers_inez_2.mp3

thanks!
Thanks Carolin, Inez is PL OK! (Shortest file of the lot, so I did it today before I leave home again tomorrow!)