Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
schrm

Post by schrm »

Carolin wrote: November 23rd, 2018, 3:51 am
This coved is extremely beautiful. Super-well done :9:
agreed: that is stunning!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
mahne

Post by mahne »

schrm wrote: November 23rd, 2018, 6:38 am
Carolin wrote: November 23rd, 2018, 3:51 am
This coved is extremely beautiful. Super-well done :9:
agreed: that is stunning!
Thanks a lot!
all covers made by mahne, constructive criticism appreciated
schrm

Post by schrm »

but how?
:shock:

did you make them of salt-dough?
did you use some polymer?
or did you add some text?

absolutely beautiful! :thumbs:
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
msfry

Post by msfry »

Sorry, schrm, I don't understand your questions. If you look at the CD case, there is an attribution for where I got the PD artwork.
schrm

Post by schrm »

msfry wrote: December 5th, 2018, 7:02 am Sorry, schrm, I don't understand your questions. If you look at the CD case, there is an attribution for where I got the PD artwork.
well, didnt saw it.
i was asking, if you made these statues yourself or how you did that..
anyways: well done!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
msfry

Post by msfry »

schrm wrote: December 5th, 2018, 7:32 am
i was asking, if you made these statues yourself or how you did that..
anyways: well done!
Thanks. Aren't they the cutest little mice!
schrm

Post by schrm »

msfry wrote: December 5th, 2018, 7:48 am Thanks. Aren't they the cutest little mice!
yes, they are :wink: :lol:
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi guys,

Since none of us are extremely good at copyright, licensing, and the likes, we've been uncertain about how to treat recent images and art for our covers. As you can imagine, we are not keen on getting sued over this.

So we've been trying to create guidelines for just this sort of art. To be clear, this does not concern pre-1926 art. If you use those works, you are fine :thumbs:

1. Be sure of the license under which you can use the art!
We can only accept art that has been released into the public domain or is released with a cc0 or similar license. You can't use art with restrictions such as non-commercial. This is not new of course, but it is the most important rule and so I emphasise it.

2. Avoid trouble!
If there is any doubt about the status of an image you like, don't use it. Logos or trademarks? Don't use it. People might have been photographed without their consent? Don't use it. Any other component you are in doubt about, or you can imagine we are in doubt about? Don't use it.

3. We will avoid trouble too!
Look at it from our perspective. We have to check cover art based on a system of rules which even copyright experts hardly understand, and which is notorious for litigation. None of us had any proper training. So you will understand that we choose to be careful. For us, this means that if we are uncertain, for whatever reason, we cannot accept your cover art. There are so many images that are clearly okay to use that we feel little remorse when we do not accept images where this is not clear. We will also take down existing cover art immediately if doubt arises.

This might sound harsh, but essentially nothing changes - we've always applied these rules though we have not yet written them down.

What can you do?
- you have probably already collected a little treasure of images for future use. Go through them and make sure they comply with these rules. When adding new images, make sure these are no doubt okay.
- the sources you use, do they clearly state the license for use, and is it public domain? Probably they are, or you wouldn't have been using them, but it is good to double-check.
- look for pre-1926 illustrations. You can avoid all risk by using those :thumbs:

Finally, I'd like to apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. We do not create rules to make your lives harder but to protect all of us from this can of worms that is copyright. We don't want to make the pre 1926 rule as hard and fast as we do with books, but we can only be flexible if we are careful.

If you have any questions, let us know! Thank you!

edited to update pd year -annise
Carolin
schrm

Post by schrm »

knowing the situation in germany, where you eg must not fotograph buildings possessed by the state, statues and so on, when you are not standing on some public street areas..
where a fotograph of a plate with spaghetti caused a copyright lawsuit..
while we in german lv try to look for translators lifedates, co-authors lfedates, illustrators lifedates, if there is the publication date printed or not on the first page...and so on..
for some of my covers i even looked up the museums rules and conditions...
which may vary, i realized, even when the museum has several locations internationally.
i totally understand this policy and try to respect both rules yod+70 and before 1924 (and some more, including museum rules) in my covers.

so, just a thumbs up and a heads up to everyone: let's continue to do our best work for the books!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
msfry

Post by msfry »

Could Carolin's writeup of the rules be posted in the First Post or as a separate sticky on the Covers forum so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle?
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thanks schrm!

michele, personally i dont think thats necessary since these have been the unwritten rules from the start of cover-making. well see how it goes :)
Carolin
Foon

Post by Foon »

For whoever claims the cover for Bumper the White Rabbit, the book has some really cute illustrations in it, and I personally think they'd be excellent for a cover. Of course, it's all up to the covermaker... Just putting it out there ;)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you Carolin, for the gorgeous cover of my last solo!
I love the simplicity and elegance of it. And it perfectly fits the "these are the last poems I'll publish before I retire or die" attitude that Housman had in this volume!
(If anyone wants to see it, here: https://librivox.org/last-poems-by-a-e-housman/)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

im glad you like it :)
Carolin
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you Michele for the lovely cover for Bumper the White Rabbit! The cover looks just as cute as the story is! :D
https://librivox.org/bumper-the-white-rabbit-by-george-ethelbert-walsh/

Readers needed: