Sharing advice for crocheting

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Hi all,
I am new to crocheting and need advice. I am making an afghan and I can't figure out how to keep my edging rectangular :oops: My stitches keep decreasing/increasing. I am currently trying to figure out how to work a dc into the turning chain :hmm:

Also, if anyone else has questions, feel free to post here!

Best,
JayKitty
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Hi JayKitty,

I am sure a true crocheter will give you the real advice, so take mine with a grain of salt. Eons ago when I tried needle/crochet craft, my understanding of methods for keeping the result even was to (a) relax and (b) pick a tempo and follow it. Slowing down and speeding up what kept my loops from being even/equal and with practice they got better. Also, don't tighten up your knitting (this is where relaxing helps). The tightness is (I think) controlled by the thickness of the yarn and the size of the tool(s), not by the force with which you pull.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Thank you very much, Tovarisch. I will certainly try to find a proper tempo- that is interesting, I hadn’t considered that as a cause of skipping stitches before :hmm:

Thanks for your advice!
Best,
JayKitty
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

The only advice I can give you aside from what I said in the other thread is to go very carefully for awhile. Pay attention especially to what you do at the beginning and end of each row, because in my experience it's there that you'll tend to lose or gain stitches. Maybe even snap a picture of where your stitches are at the beginning and end of each row. Then at the end of each row, recount before you go any further to make sure the stitch count hasn't changed. Pretty soon, you should hopefully begin to see what works and what doesn't.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Thank you, Devorah. I will try taking a picture and see if it helps. Thank you for your time and consideration in order to help me figure this out :wink:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I wish I could help you in person. I'm sure if I could take a look at your piece, I'd be able to figure out quickly what is happening. Best of luck!
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Thank you so much, Devorah. Your encouragement boosts my crocheting confidence, so thank you! I'll see if I can figure out a way to post a picture (or two) of my piece soon.

Thank you, Devorah!