[COMPLETE] Multilingual Christmas Carol Collection 2018 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 8243
Joined: June 15th, 2006, 3:54 pm
Location: Belgium

Post by ezwa » December 7th, 2018, 11:36 pm

Hello Maria,

Here's another French one:
* https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ccc18_noel_ez.mp3
* https://archive.org/details/cihm_61493/page/n137 - tune by Ezwa, put in the public domain
* French
* Unknown author
* Noël
* 3:10
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau


Lecteurs de poésie : RDV ici.

commonsparrow3
Posts: 2565
Joined: January 17th, 2013, 9:16 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Post by commonsparrow3 » December 8th, 2018, 8:35 pm

ezwa wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 11:36 pm
Hello Maria,

Here's another French one:
* https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ccc18_noel_ez.mp3
* https://archive.org/details/cihm_61493/page/n137 - tune by Ezwa, put in the public domain
* French
* Unknown author
* Noël
* 3:10
Oh, yes! Very much PL OK! What beautiful harmony! Thank you, Ezwa!

ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 8243
Joined: June 15th, 2006, 3:54 pm
Location: Belgium

Post by ezwa » December 9th, 2018, 12:32 am

Thank you, Maria!

Here is yet another one in French:
* https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ccc18_deravissantesvoix_ez_128kb.mp3
* https://archive.org/details/recueildecantiqu00basl/page/20 - tune by Ezwa, put in the public domain
* French
* Unknown author
* De vos ravissantes voix
* 2:50
I was not happy wil the alteration noisecleaning brought so I didn't do anything. Hopefully, the background noise is not too disturbing.

I realise I had forgotten "_128kb" in the previous filename, so, I changed it to https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ccc18_noel_ez_128kb.mp3 in the MW and on the server.

EDTA:
* https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ccc18_soisbenis_ez_128kb.mp3
* https://archive.org/details/recueildecantiqu00basl/page/30 - tune by Ezwa, put in the public domain
* French
* Unknown author
* Sois bénis
* 3:12
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau


Lecteurs de poésie : RDV ici.

commonsparrow3
Posts: 2565
Joined: January 17th, 2013, 9:16 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Post by commonsparrow3 » December 9th, 2018, 7:50 pm

Thank you, Ezwa. I find your original melodies and harmonies enchanting. :9:
ezwa wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 12:32 am
Here is yet another one in French:
* https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ccc18_deravissantesvoix_ez_128kb.mp3
* https://archive.org/details/recueildecantiqu00basl/page/20 - tune by Ezwa, put in the public domain
* French
* Unknown author
* De vos ravissantes voix
* 2:50
I was not happy with the alteration noisecleaning brought so I didn't do anything. Hopefully, the background noise is not too disturbing.
The Checker program mentions a warning for a very slight amount of background noise in this file, but my ear finds nothing particularly disturbing in the noise level. I'm happy to leave it as it is. This is PL OK!

ezwa wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 12:32 am
* https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ccc18_soisbenis_ez_128kb.mp3
* https://archive.org/details/recueildecantiqu00basl/page/30 - tune by Ezwa, put in the public domain
* French
* Unknown author
* Sois bénis
* 3:12
And this one is also PL OK!
ezwa wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 12:32 am
I realise I had forgotten "_128kb" in the previous filename, so, I changed it to https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ccc18_noel_ez_128kb.mp3 in the MW and on the server.
:oops: Careless PL'er as I am, I hadn't even noticed that! Thank you for catching and correcting it for me, Ezwa!

ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 8243
Joined: June 15th, 2006, 3:54 pm
Location: Belgium

Post by ezwa » December 10th, 2018, 11:10 am

Thank you, Maria! :-)

EDTA: and here's yet another one :
* https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ccc18_cabergers_ez_128kb.mp3
* https://archive.org/details/cihm_61493/page/n139 - tune by Ezwa, put in the public domain
* French
* Unknown author
* Ca bergers
* 2:20
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau


Lecteurs de poésie : RDV ici.

commonsparrow3
Posts: 2565
Joined: January 17th, 2013, 9:16 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Post by commonsparrow3 » December 13th, 2018, 12:48 pm

ezwa wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 11:10 am
Thank you, Maria! :-)

EDTA: and here's yet another one :
* https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ccc18_cabergers_ez_128kb.mp3
* https://archive.org/details/cihm_61493/page/n139 - tune by Ezwa, put in the public domain
* French
* Unknown author
* Ca bergers
* 2:20
Thank you once again, Ezwa! I've just listened to this one and it's scrumptious, and PL OK!

commonsparrow3
Posts: 2565
Joined: January 17th, 2013, 9:16 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Post by commonsparrow3 » December 13th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Here's one more from me. Would someone please PL it for me?

* Link to your recording, as shown on the Uploader - https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ccc18_manyhundredyears_mk_128kb.mp3
* Link to the text (and music) source - https://archive.org/details/hymntunesandcaro00martuoft/page/136
* Language in which the carol is written - English
* Author's name, birth and death dates - Bernard Reynolds (1850? - ??)
* Composer's name, birth and death dates - George Currie Martin (1865-1937)
* Title of the carol - Many Hundred Years Ago (from a book published in 1908)
* Duration (runtime) of the file in mm:ss - 3:45

Tricia, Bernard Reynolds isn't in the drop-down menu for authors.
I can't find him on Wikipedia. There is a Bernard Reynolds there, but he wasn't born until 1915, and so he can't have been writing hymns in 1908!
I did find a link here which looks like it might be the right person, but unfortunately it only gives a birth date, not a death date. :(
Sorry I'm always choosing works by obscure authors. I swear I'm not doing it just to make your life difficult!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 43328
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » December 13th, 2018, 2:25 pm

No worries. There will always be new authors to add. :)

He should be in the drop-down now, after a refresh.
Christmas Lore: LINK
Proofs the Earth Isn't a Globe: LINK
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries

commonsparrow3
Posts: 2565
Joined: January 17th, 2013, 9:16 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Post by commonsparrow3 » December 13th, 2018, 3:30 pm

TriciaG wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 2:25 pm
No worries. There will always be new authors to add. :)

He should be in the drop-down now, after a refresh.
Thanks, Tricia!

alanmapstone
Posts: 1202
Joined: February 15th, 2012, 12:20 pm
Location: Oxford

Post by alanmapstone » December 14th, 2018, 8:26 pm

commonsparrow3 wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 1:06 pm
Here's one more from me. Would someone please PL it for me?

* Link to your recording, as shown on the Uploader - https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ccc18_manyhundredyears_mk_128kb.mp3
* Link to the text (and music) source - https://archive.org/details/hymntunesandcaro00martuoft/page/136
* Language in which the carol is written - English
* Author's name, birth and death dates - Bernard Reynolds (1850? - ??)
* Composer's name, birth and death dates - George Currie Martin (1865-1937)
* Title of the carol - Many Hundred Years Ago (from a book published in 1908)
* Duration (runtime) of the file in mm:ss - 3:45
I have listened to this recording and it is correct for the 5 verses included. But you have not included the chorus on page 138 which is supposed to be sung at the end of each verse. Was this deliberate or an oversight?
alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose

DeRamos
Posts: 327
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 3:27 am
Location: California
Contact:

Post by DeRamos » December 15th, 2018, 4:31 pm

Hi, Everybody! :D

This is my tenth year in a row :shock: contributing to the holiday compilation. I might have run out of Christmas carols by now, so I recorded the one for the week after. "Auld Lang Syne" was in It's a Wonderful Life, so it totally counts as a Christmastime song. Hopefully. :hmm: Anyway ...

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ccc18_auldlangsyne_rd_128kb.mp3

Various sources for the pre-1922 lyrics and melody:
https://hymnary.org/tune/auld_lang_syne
https://hymnary.org/text/should_auld_acquaintance_be_forgot
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auld_Lang_Syne

Scots-Language (and English)

Lyrics: Robert Burns (25 January 1759 – 21 July 1796)
Music: "Scotch Melody"

Auld Lang Syne

1:21

(Crossing my fingers that this recording gets placed at the end of the album. :wink:)

Cheers!
Ryan
Ryan DeRamos
LibriVox Instagram Blog

commonsparrow3
Posts: 2565
Joined: January 17th, 2013, 9:16 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Post by commonsparrow3 » December 15th, 2018, 8:07 pm

alanmapstone wrote:
December 14th, 2018, 8:26 pm
commonsparrow3 wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 1:06 pm
Here's one more from me. Would someone please PL it for me?
* Title of the carol - Many Hundred Years Ago
I have listened to this recording and it is correct for the 5 verses included. But you have not included the chorus on page 138 which is supposed to be sung at the end of each verse. Was this deliberate or an oversight?
I first found this carol in a different book, with only the words and no tune. When I hunted for a version with tune, I found that odd chorus on the next page. My original source had included only the five verses, and no chorus, so I felt that the chorus was dispensable. Especially when I attempted to sing it, and discovered that it doesn't match the verses at all. (Verses are in a minor key, 4/4 time, chorus is in a major key, 6/8 time, and words seem to be from some other carol entirely!) Anyway, yes, I deliberately decided to pretend I hadn't seen that chorus and ignore it. :roll:

This may be more of an explanation than is really necessary, but I think I'll add it anyway, just to clarify what I've been allowing in the carol collections: Since I started BC-ing the carols, I've hashed out PD questions with my various MC's, and the consensus seems to be that the carol collection is a special case that is a bit of an exception to the usual "read every single word" rule. In past years' collections, we have dealt with the PD issue by excluding anything that is most likely to be not-PD. That is, we haven't allowed the use of carols that were not published for the first time until after 1922, or the use of recent verses which were added to older carols after that date. But we have allowed singers to use as many or as few of the older PD verses as they please, to choose between various available PD melodies, to create their own melodies for lyrics for which no melody was published, and to compose their own original accompaniment. That's a fairly free range of options. (That's why I felt okay with omitting that chorus, with allowing several singers to omit verses, or others to make up their own melodies.)

But, Tricia, as MC, I'd be happy to hear what you think. I'm going by what happened in other years with other MC's, and I may have misinterpreted the amount of leeway I ought to be allowing in carols. :?

commonsparrow3
Posts: 2565
Joined: January 17th, 2013, 9:16 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Post by commonsparrow3 » December 15th, 2018, 8:15 pm

DeRamos wrote:
December 15th, 2018, 4:31 pm
Hi, Everybody! :D

This is my tenth year in a row :shock: contributing to the holiday compilation. I might have run out of Christmas carols by now, so I recorded the one for the week after. "Auld Lang Syne" was in It's a Wonderful Life, so it totally counts as a Christmastime song. Hopefully. :hmm: Anyway ...

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ccc18_auldlangsyne_rd_128kb.mp3

Various sources for the pre-1922 lyrics and melody:
https://hymnary.org/tune/auld_lang_syne
https://hymnary.org/text/should_auld_acquaintance_be_forgot
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auld_Lang_Syne

Scots-Language (and English)

Lyrics: Robert Burns (25 January 1759 – 21 July 1796)
Music: "Scotch Melody"

Auld Lang Syne

1:21

(Crossing my fingers that this recording gets placed at the end of the album. :wink:)

Cheers!
Ryan
Thank you, Ryan! :clap: This is wonderful, as all your contributions are! For the tenth year in a row, you've really livened up the collection! This is PL OK!

I was planning to arrange the carols in alphabetical order, for the most part, but I agree that "Auld Lang Syne" really ought to come at the end of the collection, as a suitable conclusion, so that's where I shall put it!

Kate Dog (or is it Cake Dog?) will unfortunately not have a credit in the MW, but give your duet partner a dog biscuit and a pat on the head for a spirited and musical bark!

commonsparrow3
Posts: 2565
Joined: January 17th, 2013, 9:16 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Post by commonsparrow3 » December 15th, 2018, 8:24 pm

UPDATE ON DEADLINE DATE:
The first post for this project lists Sunday December 16th as the deadline for contributions. I will be working all day on Sunday and until mid afternoon Monday. So I won't close the collection until I get home from work on Monday. That'll be about 4 pm New York, US, time. I leave it to everybody to do the math and figure out what time that is in your own time zone.

Tricia, I'll send you the updated summary at that time. (I've contacted Twinkle to let her know, so she knows she has an extra day to send the Silent Night chorus to me.)

DeRamos
Posts: 327
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 3:27 am
Location: California
Contact:

Post by DeRamos » December 15th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Thanks for the compliments! :9: My dog's name is Kate, and I think this is her second contribution on here. :lol: She barked on my recording in ... Christmas 2015? This time, she not only barked, she also "played" the squeaky ball in the first half of the song. 8-) Okay, studio magic let her squeak in rhythm.

Hooray, I'll finally get the last track! Thank you!

I'm off to upload my contribution to the "Silent Night" choir ...

Cheers,
Ryan
Ryan DeRamos
LibriVox Instagram Blog

Post Reply