[COMPLETE] The Curious Lore of Precious Stones by George F Kunz - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 43383
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » November 27th, 2018, 9:57 am

Absolutely. After having been gone a week myself, I can understand getting behind!
Christmas Lore: LINK
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 43383
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » November 27th, 2018, 12:48 pm

The version you uploaded was only 28:57. Did you add on some end silence at some point but upload the shorter version?

It's all good and very well read, but the volume is too low (84.8 dB, and we aim for 89). You've got some spikes due to plosives (where your breath directly hits the mic) or just loud click sounds in your speech, which will prevent enough amplification. So, I recommend doing compression with make-up gain:

Highlight the recording and do Effect/Compressor set at:
Threshold: -18 dB
Noise Floor: -40 dB
Ratio: 3:1
Attack: 0.1
Decay: 1.0
And check the box to do make-up gain to 0 dB.

This puts the recording much closer to the correct volume, at 88.7 dB.

And the file I checked had only about 1.5 seconds of silence at the end. Please make sure it's about 5.

That's it! Please upload the corrected file using the same file name.
Christmas Lore: LINK
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries

MrMike79
Posts: 34
Joined: September 19th, 2018, 6:38 pm
Location: Lowell, MI

Post by MrMike79 » December 2nd, 2018, 8:08 pm

Hi Tricia- Here is section 6. It is 20:15.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/preciousstones_6_kunz.mp3

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 43383
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » December 3rd, 2018, 7:38 am

Thank you!
Christmas Lore: LINK
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 43383
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » December 3rd, 2018, 12:50 pm

Section 6:

0:00-0:06 - wrong chapter part given in intro, and info is in the wrong order. Should be "Chapter 2 part 3 of The curious lore of precious stones."
("This is a LV recording...LV dot org - OK)
0:16 - after the LV blurb and before the text, say "The Curious Lore of Precious Stones, by George Frederick Kunz."

We have the chapter (or section) number as the very first thing so that those with visual impairment can quickly hear it when "paging" through files in a work. :)
Christmas Lore: LINK
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries

dustynovels
Posts: 51
Joined: July 16th, 2018, 10:35 pm

Post by dustynovels » December 4th, 2018, 7:59 pm

I just would like to apologize for my absence and delay with the chapters assigned to me. With the holidays, and my moving into a new house I got distracted. I was hoping to find out if I could still do the remaining parts assigned to me. I understand Librivox has a policy, and I hope I can still help.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 43383
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » December 5th, 2018, 6:44 am

Thanks for checking in!

You're still assigned those sections. I haven't pulled you from them yet. So go ahead with recording. I will make a note that you've checked in, so tomorrow when I forget, I won't remove you from them. ;)
Christmas Lore: LINK
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries

dustynovels
Posts: 51
Joined: July 16th, 2018, 10:35 pm

Post by dustynovels » December 5th, 2018, 7:48 pm

Thank you so much!! :D

MrMike79
Posts: 34
Joined: September 19th, 2018, 6:38 pm
Location: Lowell, MI

Post by MrMike79 » December 5th, 2018, 9:03 pm

Hi Tricia- I made the corrections you needed. Thank you for your patience! It is 20:24

Mike G.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/preciousstones_6_kunz.mp3

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 43383
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » December 6th, 2018, 3:41 pm

MrMike79 wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 9:03 pm
Hi Tricia- I made the corrections you needed. Thank you for your patience! It is 20:24

Mike G.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/preciousstones_6_kunz.mp3
PL OK. thanks!
Christmas Lore: LINK
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries

heironymouslex
Posts: 16
Joined: November 15th, 2018, 5:15 pm
Location: UTC ±0

Post by heironymouslex » December 8th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Hi, Tricia,

I think I've made the proper amendments to the gain and to the silence at the end.

I'm using Reaper, so I used some different methods to increase the gain. Hopefully they work!

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/preciousstones_08_kunz_128kb.mp3 [29:00]

All Best,

Mal
TriciaG wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 12:48 pm
The version you uploaded was only 28:57. Did you add on some end silence at some point but upload the shorter version?

It's all good and very well read, but the volume is too low (84.8 dB, and we aim for 89). You've got some spikes due to plosives (where your breath directly hits the mic) or just loud click sounds in your speech, which will prevent enough amplification. So, I recommend doing compression with make-up gain:

Highlight the recording and do Effect/Compressor set at:
Threshold: -18 dB
Noise Floor: -40 dB
Ratio: 3:1
Attack: 0.1
Decay: 1.0
And check the box to do make-up gain to 0 dB.

This puts the recording much closer to the correct volume, at 88.7 dB.

And the file I checked had only about 1.5 seconds of silence at the end. Please make sure it's about 5.

That's it! Please upload the corrected file using the same file name.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 43383
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » December 8th, 2018, 3:26 pm

Seems to have worked. Volume is OK now. Thanks!
Christmas Lore: LINK
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16815
Joined: August 1st, 2009, 11:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Availle » December 21st, 2018, 6:40 am

TriciaG wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 9:57 am
Absolutely. After having been gone a week myself, I can understand getting behind!
Just a quick heads-up: I have recorded one of my sections, pending edits... I might actually have some free time over Christmas, so I hope I can finish this before the New Year. Sorry for holding this up, I don't like letting people down.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 43383
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » December 21st, 2018, 7:50 am

Thanks for the update. You're not the very last reader before cataloging, so I'm not worried about it. :)
Christmas Lore: LINK
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries

Jabus
Posts: 2
Joined: December 26th, 2015, 3:41 pm

Post by Jabus » December 27th, 2018, 2:53 pm

I'd like to give Section 9 a shot. (I'm new but hopefully that's okay)

Post Reply