Can anyone make a help/problem thread?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Hi,
I was wondering, can any volunteer make a help/problem thread (like the official HELP! I have an Audacity problem thread) in, say, Off-Topic if needed? I'm assuming admins are only allowed to do official problem-solving threads in the other forums, but does this rule change in Off-Topic? I've noticed mostly admins start this kind of thing.
Best,
JayKitty
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

You just started a thread. Does it not constitute "making"? As far as "official", I am not sure what you mean. An admin can make it a sticky, or lock it, or change other properties of the thread, like move it from one forum to another...

Some of our forums are closed to starting new threads, like "Readers Wanted/Found" or "Going solo", in which threads can only migrate from the Launch Pad. But in Off-topic you can start any thread you like.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

With the proviso, any Admin may delete any thread which is deemed unsuitable and is very unlikely to sticky any thread without due consideration
And before you ask what is unsuitable and what is due consideration, it depends :D :D :D

Anne
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

JayKitty76 wrote: ↑December 4th, 2018, 5:31 pm I'm assuming admins are only allowed to do official problem-solving threads in the other forums, but does this rule change in Off-Topic? I've noticed mostly admins start this kind of thing.
Most admins start this kind of thing because it is sort of in the job description - youve got to help other volunteers :D that doesnt mean that anyone else cant help too! On the contrary, actually. Our community is only what it is because everyone helps everyone :wink:
Carolin
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Thank you all for your advice!
I was considering making a crocheting/knitting help thread in Off-Topic where any volunteer can ask a question and other volunteers can answer it. (I would not answer every question myself since I don't know everything about crocheting/knitting.) Since there are a few threads in Off-Topic dedicated to crocheting and that type of needlework (but none for specific help with it) I think it would be fine to make one in Off-Topic, but please tell me if it is unsuitable.

Thanks!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It would be Ok, but fairly pointless in my opinion. Anyone wanting help would probably be better to ask in an existing thread as the people are more likely to answer in a thread they may be subscribed to.
The main reason the Audacity thread was set up was to give people a place where they may be able to get the answer quickly than to have to wait till someone signed on.

Anne
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Hmm. Thanks...that makes a lot of sense. With two volunteers corresponding, you never know when the other volunteer will come back online...

Thanks, Anne! :)