[COMPLETE] Isaac Bickerstaff, Physician and Astrologer by Sir Richard Steele - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've added you in as DPL, aniroo. Thank you!
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

Section #1 is PL OK.

The intro is Ok up until the outro where for some reason the word introduction comes out as intro DUC tion with the volume of the syllable DUC is much louder than the other syllables. It is jarring. So I think that if you just re record the whole outro it will be oK.

Section 2 sounds very hesitant, as though you are reading it for the first time almost. But there are a few places that are garbled enough that I couldn't understand it at all

at 1:59 the sentence " This shows ???????nature. " according to the text it should read great, good nature, but I couldn't understand it at all. It kind of sounds like a splice that didn't quite make it.

at 5:35 it is a direct quote and one of the words is garbled it should read " She half consents who silently denies" It should be an easy fix since it stands out as a quote. Just re record the whole sentence and cut the old one out.

at 5:51 "to talk to" is what you read it should be to talk LiKE" and the next word is garbled.

at 7:47 " He afterwords is ????????????????? not sure what you read.

at 8:35 it is jumpy here like you did an edit and left parts out.

Look forward to hearing the rest. :thumbs:

I can give you some general hints to make your recordings smoother, if you want. This section is a little hard to listen to as it is so hesitant in nature. It could just be that you need more practice editing.

I am looking forward to this project. I will work on the other sections later today.

aniroo
aniroo :wink:
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Thank you so much.

If it sounds hesitant, it's because I'm not used to some of the 1600's grammar and slang :lol:
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

ej400 wrote: December 1st, 2018, 12:54 pm Thank you so much.

If it sounds hesitant, it's because I'm not used to some of the 1600's grammar and slang :lol:
I know it's awkward phrasing, maybe practice? or listen to other readings from the same time perios? :D
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

Section #3 is too quiet, the volume registers under the 86 Db level. It makes it hard to listen to as the volume fluctuates mildly from time to time as you adopt a new voice for a new character, or maybe you're moving back and forth in front of the mic?

Anyway, amplify the volume a little and resubmit and it will be PL OK.

aniroo
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Alright, I've fixed all three and they are ready for Spot check PL. Funny thing about the introduction, the speed if the recording was changed somehow, so it's probably a good thing there needed to be edits made because otherwise my voice sounds like a chipmunk :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/isaacbickerstaff_00_steele_128kb.mp3 -6:39
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/isaacbickerstaff_02_steele_128kb.mp3 -12:28
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/isaacbickerstaff_03_steele_128kb.mp3 -13:00

Thank you so much :thumbs:
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

Section 00, 2, and 3 are PL OK.

aniroo
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Awesome, thank you so much.

I've recorded 4-9, so some more will be coming soon. :D
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

ej400 wrote: December 4th, 2018, 11:38 am Here is chapter 4!

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/isaacbickerstaff_04_steele_128kb.mp3 - 12:13

Thank you again
Section #4 PL OK

I am hearing some improvement, keep practicing.

Some parts are a little choppy, I suspect because of editing. Over all, though this section is the best so far.

aniroo
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Yay. I'm finding some editing secrets now, so that might explain why. Glad to hear it's getting better, thank you so much for the feedback :D
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

Section #5 - There is a whole sentence in Latin that you left out. I'm sorry, but you 'll have to read it. It happened to me too. I was reading a section and realized there was some Latin phrases that I had no idea how to pronounce. I was told to "do my best." I looked up some youtube videos and other places that will help out if you search for how to pronounce "??????" You can write the words down phonetically and read them that way. Just do your best. Most people listening won't know the difference if you sound sure of yourself when you do your best.

Also in both sections I've listened to so far, Sections 5 & 6 there is an annoying background noise, quiet,but discernible. I'm not sure what is causing it so I can't tell you how to fix it. Are you in a room where you can hear people in anther room? Do you wear head phones when recording? Play them back for yourself and see if you can hear faint, background noises. Do you use Audacity to record? Did you record in MONO or Stereo? I'll keep researching it, but I won't PL OK them yet. If you have another mic you could try?

Anyway, section 6 sounds smoother than the others, so practice must be helping.

aniroo