[Complete] State of the Union Addresses 1857-1860 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

Here was as far as I was able to get. https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/stateoftheunion1857_1860_05_various_128kb.mp3
linny wrote: October 21st, 2018, 10:58 am Section 5 PL notes:
1:11 – We have been exposed to many threatening and alarming difficulties in our progress, but on each successive occasion the impending cloud has been dissipated at the moment it appeared ready to burst upon our head, and the danger to our institutions has passed away. May we ever be under the divine guidance and protection.
I hear impeding
Word does not repeat during reading. If you can fix this please let me know how you did it. The only thing I can think of is to take the e from the opening We.

8:17 Now emigrants from the North and the South, the East and the West, will meet in the Territories on a common platform, having brought with them that species of property best adapted, in their own opinion, to promote their welfare.
I hear beast
I switched this one. Please spot check. (Picked up from 29:04)

9:35 After a most careful and rigorous examination of our coasts and a thorough investigation of the subject, we have not been able to discover that any slaves have been imported into the United States except the cargo by the Wanderer, numbering between three and four hundred.
I hear costs
I switched this one. Please spot check.

14:27 - And even if all the States had separately passed laws prohibiting the importation of slaves, these laws would have failed of effect for want of a naval force to capture the slavers and to guard the coast.
I hear or
I switched this one. Please spot check. (Picked up from 31:35)

17:26 - The numerous victims required to supply it would convert the whole slave coast into a perfect pandemonium, for which this country would be held responsible in the eyes both of God and man.
I hear state
I switched this one. Please spot check.

22:55 - No doubt is entertained that they will be ratified and exchanged by the Chinese Government should this be thought advisable; but under the circumstances presented I shall consider them binding engagements from their date on both parties, and cause them to be published as such for the information and guidance of our merchants trading with the Chinese Empire.
I hear parts
I switched this one. Please spot check. (Picked up from 31:42)

33:32 - General Scott has recently returned from his mission, having successfully accomplished its objects, and there is no longer any good reason to apprehend a collision between the forces of the two countries during the pendency of the existing negotiations.
I hear mansion
I switched this one. Please spot check. (Picked up from 23:42)
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

added 1 second at start
1:11 changed impeding to impending = found an "en" sound and wiggled it in

8:17 removed additional "s" from best adapted

9:35 our coast > our coasts

14:27 failed "of" effect = perfect

17:26 whole slave coast -> sounded like hold slave coast...played with fading to reduce "d" = meh

22:55 parties = perfect
33:32 mission = perfect

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/stateoftheunion1857_1860_05_various_128kb.mp3
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you for saving this section! That is certainly above and beyond. :9:

I think it's close enough to mark as PL OK. I'll let the reader know.
realisticspeakers

Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
linny

Post by linny »

I'm finally catching up. Now I'm only a week behind. :roll:

It’s difficult to imagine a world where the Secretary of War didn’t use the full budget allotted.

47:59 missing sentence (more numbers, your favorite) - …leaving an estimated balance in the Treasury on June 30, 1860, of $14,381,808.40.

The estimated receipts during the next fiscal year, ending June 30, 1861, are $66,225,000, which, with the balance estimated, as before stated, as remaining in the Treasury on the 30th June, 1860, will make an aggregate for the service of the next fiscal year of $80,606,808.40.

The estimated receipts during the next fiscal year, ...
realisticspeakers

To the text of the file at https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/stateoftheunion1857_1860_06_various_128kb.mp3 was inserted at 47:59 the paragraph ending with $80,606,808.40 resulting in an aggregate file duration of 55 minutes and 26 seconds.
Disclaimer:
linny

Post by linny »

Spot check PL OK.

Thank you for your extra support on this project. You certainly went above and beyond with this one. As for the 1861-1868 project I watched a movie on Netflix last night. The Free State of Jones. It was a different perspective than what is typically depicted. I found it interesting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_State_of_Jones_(film)
linny

Post by linny »

Lynne,
When you have time to catalog we are all ready for you. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

linny wrote: December 1st, 2018, 10:46 am Lynne,
When you have time to catalog we are all ready for you. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Working on it
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

linny

Post by linny »

Thank you! :D

When you have a moment, please add the project to the group search. https://librivox.org/search?q=state%20of%20the%20union&search_form=advanced
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Done :thumbs:
linny

Post by linny »

Awesome! Thank you for all of your help with this project and the series.