[COMPLETE][Psychology]Popular Superstitions, and the Truths Contained Therein, by Herbert Mayo - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
rampantant

Post by rampantant »

Popular Superstitions, and the Truths Contained Therein by Herbert Mayo (1796-1852).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/popular-superstitions-and-the-truths-contained-therein-by-herbert-mayo/
In the following Letters I have endeavoured to exhibit in their true light the singular natural phenomena of which old superstition and modern charlatanism in turn availed themselves—to indicate their laws, and to develop their theory. ( Herbert Mayo)
Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/58197

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
===========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording: Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of Popular Superstitions, and the Truths Contained Therein.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Popular Superstitions, and the Truths Contained Therein, by Herbert Mayo.
Section Title." (see MW for full title)
End of recording:
Say:
"End of Section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Popular Superstitions, and the Truths Contained Therein, by Herbert Mayo."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: popularsuperstitions_##_mayo_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. popularsuperstitions_01_mayo_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Reader Page

Feedback always welcome!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi Rampant . You have the green light and i will set this up for you. Have you handled the magic window before?
EDIT: I have shortened the save file name for ease of handling and picked a genre that you should check out. If you want another one just let me know.
Also added a tilde~ to the title to advertise for a DPL. Ask if anything is confusing. :thumbs:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
rampantant

Post by rampantant »

Thank you, Phil!
I'm familiar with the magic window. I'll get started on calculating the word count for the sections :)
Hope we'll find a DPL for this interesting title!
Thanks again
Reader Page

Feedback always welcome!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Excellent. Should be a fun and educational project. :thumbs:
rampantant

Post by rampantant »

Reader Page

Feedback always welcome!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

rampantant wrote: October 30th, 2018, 5:17 pm Thank you, Phil!
I'm familiar with the magic window. I'll get started on calculating the word count for the sections :)
Hope we'll find a DPL for this interesting title!
Thanks again
Since this is a solo you don't need to post word counts.
EDIT: unless you really want to of course :D
rampantant

Post by rampantant »

Okay, thanks :D
Reader Page

Feedback always welcome!
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi rampantant--

I can sign on as DPL for this project if you still need one. I downloaded your file and listened today.
Section 01 PL OK

I will mention a couple of things for you to consider. There is a 4-line poem (in Italian?) in the Prefatory Remarks that is omitted from the recording. You may have deliberately chosen to do that (rather than an accidental omission), so I will leave it up to you and Phil if it should be included.

Also, there is some clipping in your recording where the volume has spiked. (If you use Audacity to record, there is a setting that will show any clipping in red so that it is easy to spot. It can be selected under the "View" menu in Audacity.) So perhaps consider using the Compressor effect on your tracks to even out the volume variations--and then the track can be amplified easily if needed. Here are links to a couple of short, helpful videos that you might want to check out: Some Parts of My Recording are TOO LOUD and Others Too Soft and also The Compressor Effect Explained.

Looks like an interesting project--I enjoyed your first section! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Thank you for volunteering to be DPL Lucrecia. I think the poem needs to be included and we will talk about it when the soloist returns. :D
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Checking to see if the soloist plans to return soon. If not I will be opening this up as a group or moving it to abandoned.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Moving t his to Abandoned
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

philchenevert wrote: May 3rd, 2019, 8:53 pmThank you for volunteering to be DPL Lucrecia. I think the poem needs to be included and we will talk about it when the soloist returns. :D
I am resurrecting this abandoned solo as group project to finish it.

I was able to keep the first section from the original reader, but since the preface lacked the poem, I decided to cut that one out, keep only "Letter I" by the reader and I will record the preface myself as section 0, including the Italian poem.

The other sections now are open for interested readers to claim. :)

Lucretia informed me via PM that she has to step down from the DPL job, so I will DPL this one myself. Looking forward to those essays with such intriguing titles.

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

May I start out with Sections 6 & 7?

Thanks!

Greg
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: April 1st, 2022, 2:34 amMay I start out with Sections 6 & 7?
thanks for your interest, they are reserved for you. 8-) Sounds very interesting.

Oh could you please also include the summary words right after the title for each chapter ? The initial reader included them, so I want to do that throughout.

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

I guess I will start from the top: may I claim sections 2-5. Jim :)