[COMPLETE][DR]Dave Brings Home A Wife, by Steele Rudd-kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wo-hoooo, now I'm rooting for Joe, here. The guy is so good-humoured, I love the chuckling, Nemo. :thumbs: And at least he also dares to give Dad some lip. :lol: If hadn't desecrated Lily's mum's nightie, I bet she would have loved the guy.

All chapters PL ok. Great character ! I wish he had more to say.

Sonia
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

Hey Everyone,

Just checking in to see which parts remain unclaimed; e.g., Joe appears as Open, but is assigned.

Also wanted to ask where the story takes place. Since Parliament was mentioned, I'm thinking maybe the U.K.? I've not been able to access any recordings via the "listen" option to see what accents people are using.

Thanks in advance,
Pete :-)
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."
~ Charles Bukowski
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hey Pete ! (remember me ?)

I see you found the drama forum. And going straight for the Australian dramatic reading, I notice :lol: Chris will be thrilled (it's his project, he's a fellow Aussie).
PeterMusgrove wrote: December 1st, 2018, 7:31 amJust checking in to see which parts remain unclaimed; e.g., Joe appears as Open, but is assigned.
no the only part that is still open is Barty, actually. You have to check the last column in the Magic Window in the first post, there you can read which parts are OPEN or Assigned.
Also wanted to ask where the story takes place. Since Parliament was mentioned, I'm thinking maybe the U.K.? I've not been able to access any recordings via the "listen" option to see what accents people are using.
we don't encourage listening to projects which are not finished yet, so our servers won't be overloaded ;) as for accents, you will fit right in, as it's set somewhere in rural Australia. Chris might give you more details. But accents don't matter much. I play a crucial role in two chapters, and I'm not even a native speaker. That didn't prevent me from giving "Dad Rudd" hell :lol:

If you want Barty as your drama debut, just let me know and I give you a few pointers on how to record dramatic readings.

Sonia
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

Hi Sonia, (of course I remember you!)

Yes, indeed, I found the drama forum :-) There are several manics living inside me that need to get out lol.

Thanks for the heads-up re finding what's open.

You've mentioned Chris a couple of times now. Is he involved in this project and if so, what's his user name?

Since Barty is Open, I'd love to take him on, so please send those pointers my way!

Best,
Pete
~ Charles Bukowski
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PeterMusgrove wrote: December 1st, 2018, 9:09 amYes, indeed, I found the drama forum :-) There are several manics living inside me that need to get out lol.
excellent. Let's hope Barty is manic enough for you
You've mentioned Chris a couple of times now. Is he involved in this project and if so, what's his user name?
well since I said it's his project, you only need to see the first poster ;) (SonOfTheExiles) I'm sure he's gonna pop up to welcome you soon
Since Barty is Open, I'd love to take him on, so please send those pointers my way!
ok great ! He seems to be only in two chapters, so I guess the role is not that huge, good for starters. In the first post, you'll see the link to the colour-coded script. Read only from that text, there will be your lines coloured for easy reference.

So special "rules" for drama recordings:

1) no need to do an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which here should be: "Barty, read by Pete Musgrove" (or whatever you want your reader name to be)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. While it may not be necessary to read the whole play, especially here for this small role, it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as dramatic as you can in your character. That's the fun in drama :9:

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [coughs] or [sneers], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting :mrgreen:

4) and very important: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 2-3 seconds. Even when you have "said he" in the middle of your speech, also leave 2 seconds of pause there, because our editor later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his master file and it's helpful if he has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I hope you have fun ! And once this part is done, I have already a suggestion in store for you :mrgreen:

Sonia
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

Hi Sonia,

Thanks so much for the tips - again, much appreciated!!!

I'm just little confused about 4/ Gotcha re leaving a few seconds for the editor, but regarding "said he", does that mean that I record the narrator's "said he" (or he said, etc) as well as the character's lines?

Looking forward to whatever you have in store for me :-)

Pete
~ Charles Bukowski
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PeterMusgrove wrote: December 1st, 2018, 11:22 am I'm just little confused about 4/ Gotcha re leaving a few seconds for the editor, but regarding "said he", does that mean that I record the narrator's "said he" (or he said, etc) as well as the character's lines?
oh sorry, no, you just read your lines, what Barty actually says. We have a narrator for everything else. That's why you need to leave 2 seconds to edit in the narrator's part later.

Look at the coloured doc-sheet. Only read what is in your colour. :)

Sonia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Welcome to another Aussie! Yay!

But before this project is declared "full" I just wanted to flag that cowguy02 had his part in Dr Dolittle orphaned recently, so I suspect he may not be around any more. Might be worth checking.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

PeterMusgrove wrote: December 1st, 2018, 9:09 am Hi Sonia, (of course I remember you!)

Yes, indeed, I found the drama forum :-) There are several manics living inside me that need to get out lol.

Thanks for the heads-up re finding what's open.

Best,
Pete
Hey, Peter! Great to have you onboard!

I’m the Chris that Sonia spoke of. My username is “Son of the Exiles”. I also answer to the acronym SOTE, just so long as it’s understood that the initials don’t stand for “Scum of the Earth” :lol:

I’m to play the Dad Rudd character in this Dramatic Reading. Barty’s main interaction is with Dad Rudd. I’m waiting for my hayfever to clear up so that I can record Dad Rudd, but if you want to hear what he will sound like, I did him in this recording: https://librivox.org/dads-trip-to-brisbane-by-steele-rudd/

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for popping your head up, mate! I didn't realise until I saw some footage on YouTube that the stories are Dad and Dave stories - what a blast from the past and what fun!

I had a listen to some of your recordings and it's SO GOOD to hear an Aussie accent (I'm an ex-pat now living in New Jersey). And I really like your narration and character voices too. Good work!

Thanks again for touching base, my username is PeterMusgrove (I go by "Pete"). Feel free to PM me, I tried to message you, but for some reason was unable to.

Take care and don't worry, I won't call you scum of the earth hehe

Pete :-)
~ Charles Bukowski
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

Thanks for clarifying, Sonia :-)

Pete
~ Charles Bukowski
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

Thanks so much for the welcome!
[

quote=Elizabby post_id=1529543 time=1543696733 user_id=46043]
Welcome to another Aussie! Yay!

But before this project is declared "full" I just wanted to flag that cowguy02 had his part in Dr Dolittle orphaned recently, so I suspect he may not be around any more. Might be worth checking.
[/quote]
~ Charles Bukowski
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

Hello hello!

And here is the mammoth role of Barty, Chapter 10! I love me a good whiner...

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/davebringshomeawife_barty_10_128kb.mp3

Pete :D
~ Charles Bukowski
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

PeterMusgrove wrote: December 9th, 2018, 12:46 pm Hello hello!

And here is the mammoth role of Barty, Chapter 10! I love me a good whiner...

Pete :D
Excellent, Pete!

Kitty will be along presently to PL, but I had a listen myself first, and Barty is perfectly characterised. You sound as though you've been being hit by hammers all your life. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PeterMusgrove wrote: December 9th, 2018, 12:46 pmAnd here is the mammoth role of Barty, Chapter 10! I love me a good whiner...
:lol: indeed, the poor guy has to give us the whole range of Ooohs available :mrgreen: I hope you have a bit more to say in the other chapter ;)

Excellently whined, Pete and the spaces between quotes are really handy :thumbs:

only one small note to make for the final quote:

> at 0:27: “You’ll h-h—hit me with it. . . . Oo—h !”. – here you forgot to give us a final OOOOhhh, or maybe it was cut out by mistake. Could you re-upload once more with a final good whine (before you flee from Dad's wrath).

Also, this was chapter 11, your filename states chapter 10. This is not so important in stage plays, as your file will be deleted once we have all your bits in the masterfile. But in other projects, take extra care that you use the correct section number, or there may be confusion.

Thanks, great start ! Looking forward to more. 8-)

Sonia