COMPLETE[PLAY]The Funeral: or Grief A-La-Mode by Richard Steele - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

Hi,
I was working on the Mademoiselle D'Epingle part this week and I am having a tough time figuring out what she is trying to say! :P
Can someone help me make out the intent? I have it recorded, but am thinking of redoing some parts to make more sense.
Here is where I'm stuck:
(Act 3)
Cam: But prithee, mademoiselle, why have you lost your English tongue all of a sudden? Methought when the fellow called us French whores, as we came along... you gave him pretty plain English...

?I thought she had a "fake French accent"-- so where does she 'lose her English tongue'? :help:

Mad.: ...As dese me drop it so monsieur run take it up. :?:
L. Ha.: Will you give me my letter or not?
Mad.: Oui. But dus he do. Dere de letter-- very well, very well. O l'amour! You act de manner Mr. Campley-- take it up better den I, do' you no see it.

The meaning escapes me. :(

Thank you!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thestorygirl wrote: November 18th, 2018, 1:39 pmHere is where I'm stuck:
(Act 3)
Cam: But prithee, mademoiselle, why have you lost your English tongue all of a sudden? Methought when the fellow called us French whores, as we came along... you gave him pretty plain English...

?I thought she had a "fake French accent"-- so where does she 'lose her English tongue'? :help:
my take on this is that in reality she is a plain English girl, only giving herself airs of being a sophisticated French dame. That's why she has a "fake" French accent. ;) And when she was insulted, the real "English street-girl" came out and she probably abused the guy verbally with some coarse English (maybe even Cockney) and ruined the illusion of being French.
Mad.: ...As dese me drop it so monsieur run take it up. :?:
L. Ha.: Will you give me my letter or not?
Mad.: Oui. But dus he do. Dere de letter-- very well, very well. O l'amour! You act de manner Mr. Campley-- take it up better den I, do' you no see it.

The meaning escapes me. :(
I think she explains the scene how she dropped the letter to the ground so that Mr Campley had to stoop to pick it up, instead of simply giving it into his hands. It would be more cavalier for a gallant to pick up a letter that a lady dropped.

But indeed, the scene sounds a bit confusing. But this is how I interpret it. Maybe someone else has a better idea ?

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Messy scene. Phonetic writing of accented language can be very confusing to interpret - I have had to give up some roles where I could not figure out what I was saying. But I think Sonia's interpretation is good here.

Thanks, Todd
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

Thanks, guys! I think what I will do (esp. with the latter line) is capture the 'spirit of the message', even if my exact understanding of it is fuzzy! :P
And so I will do the whole thing with the French accent... I had thought at one point a few lines were delivered in the English, before Campley makes reference to it, but now that doesn't quite seem right. So I'll redo that part.
I will get it finished and turned in as soon as I can.
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

This is a tad late because I've been mighty perfectionistic about it. I really, really hope this doesn't have clips in it. :( Something in the pit of my stomach tells me it does.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/funeralorgriefalamode_mademoiselledepingle_23_128kb.mp3
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

BTW, pardon my French. I don't speak a lick of it. :oops:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thestorygirl wrote: November 22nd, 2018, 9:30 pm This is a tad late because I've been mighty perfectionistic about it. I really, really hope this doesn't have clips in it. :( Something in the pit of my stomach tells me it does.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/funeralorgriefalamode_mademoiselledepingle_23_128kb.mp3
it's a won-der-ful performance :clap: no seriously, I really enjoyed this character. Don't worry about the French, you did it well enough, and you managed quite a believable "faux-French" accent when you speak English. :thumbs: Anyway, seeing that she is also only a fake French lady, it is totally fitting that you don't have a perfect accent either. Oh but the most funny part is when you fall back into "plain English", now that is a great accent you're doing there. That was my favourite quote actually.

I have only a couple of notes to mark down:

> from 4:53-5:15: this is an unedited repeat of the previous speech and can be cut out. Instead another speech is missing which should have been at this place: “No, me tell you, me did drop it, to see Mr. Campley how cavalier to take it up. As dese me drop it so monsieur run take it up.”

> from 6:58-7:13: seems to be some line practicing ;) can be cut out as well

Thank you for this excellent role characterisation. :9:

Sonia
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

the lines are all in now but for some reason the bitrate is now 192 kbps :? could you do one final reupload with the right bitrate please ? Nothing else to change in the recording though

Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:thumbs: all PL ok now, thanks :)

Sonia
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hello,

Can I claim Second Lady, please? Thanks!
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SaraHale wrote: November 27th, 2018, 10:02 am Can I claim Second Lady, please? Thanks!
yay, cool. Thank you, Sarah, I sign you up. Have fun !

Sonia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi todd, i can be the fourth lady :thumbs:
Carolin
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Carolin wrote: November 28th, 2018, 9:15 am hi todd, i can be the fourth lady :thumbs:
thank you, Carolin, fourth Lady it is :)

Sonia