[COMPLETE]World's Story 4: Greece and Rome - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

This is a first response without the distraction of having to follow the text or for that matter to think very long. I like the additional information in the footnotes but not so much the mention of footnote and end of footnote. It seems more dramatic if omitted and with your voice doing what it does throughout as the narrator. But I was not interested in random footnotes about irrelevant information such as the value of a minae. The drama itself was wonderful. I will listen tonight with the text. And of course I always think you know best. Jim :)
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Actually, speaking for myself, I think the explanation of what modern sum each of the philosophers is fetching adds to the comedy.

Betcha Sandra starts referring to me by that name.

“Hello, About-Eight-Cents...”. :lol:

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Section 33 is PL OK! Kudos to all. Excellently rendered; highly entertaining. :clap: :clap: Or should I doubt its reality? :?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote:This is a first response without the distraction of having to follow the text or for that matter to think very long. I like the additional information in the footnotes but not so much the mention of footnote and end of footnote. It seems more dramatic if omitted and with your voice doing what it does throughout as the narrator. But I was not interested in random footnotes about irrelevant information such as the value of a minae.
thank you for the feedback. Unfortunately we need to border the footnotes as such, since they are only footnotes :? As for "minae" and the like trivia, I agree with Chris, I think especially the money value adds to the comedy, and I personally like such small tidbits. :lol: I feared more that the long lectures on philosophy would distract from the play, but apparently they don't. :9:
SonOfTheExiles wrote:Betcha Sandra starts referring to me by that name.
:lol: console yourself with the fact that 8 cents back then are probably worth more nowadays...you may get called "About-two-dollars-and-a-half" :mrgreen:
neecheelok70 wrote:Section 33 is PL OK! Kudos to all. Excellently rendered; highly entertaining. :clap: :clap: Or should I doubt its reality? :?
:mrgreen: I see the philosophers had an influence on you. :lol:
Thanks for the quick PL, Jim !

Only 3 sections left and one with PL notes. :9: We're getting to the end of this.

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Awesome! :thumbs:
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Kitty wrote: November 26th, 2018, 11:54 pm
SonOfTheExiles wrote:Betcha Sandra starts referring to me by that name.
:lol: console yourself with the fact that 8 cents back then are probably worth more nowadays...you may get called "About-two-dollars-and-a-half" :mrgreen:
Hmm, so purchase-wise, I would rank somewhere between morning cappuccino and chewing gum.

I can live with that. :mrgreen:

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: November 27th, 2018, 2:53 am Hmm, so purchase-wise, I would rank somewhere between morning cappuccino and chewing gum.
only difference: morning cappucino doesn't bark back at the customer :lol:

Found a good site to calculate the value of US Dollars through the ages, here's your answer:
A simple Purchasing Power Calculator would say the relative value is $2.02. This answer is obtained by multiplying $0.08 by the percentage increase in the CPI from 1914 to 2017.

This may not be the best answer.

The best measure of the relative value over time depends on if you are interested in comparing the cost or value of a Commodity , Income or Wealth , or a Project .

If you want to compare the value of a $0.08 Commodity in 1914.
In 2017 the relative:
real price of that commodity is $2.02
real value in consumption of that commodity is $4.22
labor value of that commodity is $8.73 (using the unskilled wage) or $13.00 (using production worker compensation)
income value of that commodity is $12.90
economic share of that commodity is $42.30

so your maximum worth is actually 42.30 Dollars, not bad

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: November 27th, 2018, 2:53 am
Hmm, so purchase-wise, I would rank somewhere between morning cappuccino and chewing gum.

Chris
To me, the morning cappuccino is priceless.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

So this project is really coming to an end here. Only 3 more sections left, so I hope we can finish this before the end of the year. :9:

I haven't heard back from KTBMedia, unfortunately, but to clean up the MW, I decided to repair his file myself. I dug out my original PL notes, here:
Kitty wrote: September 22nd, 2018, 5:29 am
KTBMedia wrote: September 21st, 2018, 5:07 pm Section 18:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_18_tappan_128kb.mp3
Yikes, the hardest part about this for me is figuring out the pronunciation of certain words.
I just had a listen to this interesting story. And I think you did a wonderful job with all the Greek names :thumbs: They sound quite accurate to my ears at least :lol: Wonderfully narrated, all of it, it was a pleasure to listen to.

I only have a few notes to make, nothing difficult:

> at 3:19: (p. 113) could you please place the footnote immediately after the words "two oboli to every one" at 3:11. This also enables you to stick to our "do not change what the author wrote"-rule, so just say "Footnote - about eight cents - End of Footnote".

> at 5:06: (p. 114) "by the party which Themistocles headed" - you say "heeded" which is a change in meaning

> at 14:18: between the end of the story and the final disclaimer, this pause seems too long. 2 seconds is fully enough.

> also careful at the end, we should leave 5 seconds. You have 6 here, which is ok, you don't need to change it this time, but don't let them become even longer ;)

Thanks for yet another informative story

Sonia
I had to leave the error at 14:18 (heeded instead of headed) because I was unable to change this. :? But I think just this one error doesn't warrant discarding the whole section which was well narrated, so I decided to use it and correct the remaining notes.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_18_tappan_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 14:25 min.

Jim, if you have time (no hurry) could you please Spot check the changes I made, at these time-stamps. Just check if I didn't cut out part of the surrounding text by mistake.

> at 3:11: inserted "Footnote - about eight cents - End of Footnote"
> at 3:21: removed this same footnote here
> at 14:16: reduced the pause between end of text and outro
> at 14:20: reduced end pause to 5 seconds

Thank you :)

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Absolutely! I'll check today.
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Yes, all is well in 18! Jim
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: December 1st, 2018, 4:38 pm Yes, all is well in 18! Jim
thanks, I'm glad that's cleared up

Sonia
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thestorygirl wrote: December 5th, 2018, 7:14 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_85_tappan_128kb.mp3
(14:39)
Please tell me it did not clip.
it did not clip :thumbs: no worries, I think the sound was excellent. I also loved the story and the dialogue you did in different voices. Especially Zenobia sounds very regal. A very entertaining chapter, probably taken from a novel (need to check that).

I only found a small textual deviation and the ending silence to correct:

> at 12:58: (p. 521) “Let it be so, then,” said the queen; - you forgot the last part, though one can argue that it is clear who is speaking this sentence, also by the voice you are doing

> at 14:38: only 1 second of silence at the end, instead of the standard 5

the rest was perfectly read and I could even say, enacted :9:

thank you storygirl, for yet another beautiful chapter, well worth the wait

Sonia
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

Thank you for your kind words and patience. I loved doing it!
The mistakes should be easy to fix and I will try to get that in by the end of the week.