Editing my own audio? Help!!

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
apoorvachourasia123

Post by apoorvachourasia123 »

Help!
Do I have to be the one to edit out my own audio? I don't get to have much free time, or know anything about editing audio at all. It'd be a great help if someone else could edit the recordings. Thank you.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Welcome at LibriVox :)
apoorvachourasia123 wrote: November 25th, 2018, 9:09 am Do I have to be the one to edit out my own audio?
Usually, yes. There are afaik people here who edit special things, like fitting dramas together. But I am not aware of someone editing normal recordings for others on a regular basic.
apoorvachourasia123 wrote: November 25th, 2018, 9:09 am I don't get to have much free time,
I don't either, and a lot of other volunteers here probably don't have much free time as well. :)
apoorvachourasia123 wrote: November 25th, 2018, 9:09 am or know anything about editing audio at all.
Oh, I didn't know in the beginning. But it's really not that bad, only time-consuming. There are plenty of tips and videos for Audacity and this program is free, so it is a nice program to start with.
apoorvachourasia123 wrote: November 25th, 2018, 9:09 am It'd be a great help if someone else could edit the recordings.
Sometimes, like just in the moment, I think that, too, when I am editing something and get bored because it seems to last forever. But I haven't found anyone yet to take this task away from me. Image
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

moniaqua wrote: November 25th, 2018, 9:25 am
apoorvachourasia123 wrote: November 25th, 2018, 9:09 am Do I have to be the one to edit out my own audio?
Usually, yes. There are afaik people here who edit special things, like fitting dramas together. But I am not aware of someone editing normal recordings for others on a regular basic.
Of course you mean here on LibriVox, Monika, yes? There are real-world people who edit normal recordings for a living (IOW on a regular basis), they are called "sound engineers" or "editors", and they are paid to do that for various audio productions (and audio parts of video productions).

Apoor, if you can find somebody willing to do the work for you for the compensation you manage to provide, you are going to be an exception here on LV. AFAIK, even professional narrators edit their own recordings (at least some of them).
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

apoorvachourasia123 wrote: November 25th, 2018, 9:09 am Help!
Do I have to be the one to edit out my own audio? I don't get to have much free time, or know anything about editing audio at all. It'd be a great help if someone else could edit the recordings. Thank you.
Yep you do - for LibriVox at least. but relax, it is not that difficult and we all learned it. I will guide you on your journey if you wish. Let's start with the recording program 90% of us use: AUDACITY. It is free for download. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Audacity_1-2-3 Here is a video I made that may help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rraizMiOf8s&feature=youtu.be

2. Once you have this program, here is a video on all those buttons and thingies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4QpD1vAJkY Audacity: a guide for the completely bewildered

3. Once you do that, here is a video on editing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9NuSuWYaWg&feature=youtu.be

Do not be discouraged. Even with limited time, you can learn these simple processes and have fun recording, editing and posting your wonderful recordings for the world to hear. Ask me for speciliazed videos if you want one. If you do make a recording, I will make a video showing how I would edit it as an example. Neat, eh? :thumbs:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

tovarisch wrote: November 25th, 2018, 9:39 am Of course you mean here on LibriVox, Monika, yes?
Sure I do :D
tovarisch wrote: November 25th, 2018, 9:39 am and they are paid to do that for various audio productions (and audio parts of video productions).
And they are doing much more than we do with our recordings here on LibriVox.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No, you don't have to edit your own audio. I myself have edited solos done by people on two different occasions, but it's not fun nor easy, and finding a willing editor can be very difficult. It happens so rarely that people don't think it can be done. ;) (And no, I'm not willing to edit someone else's recordings right now. It has to be at the right time, for the right person.)

You can advertise for an editor over in Listeners & Editors Wanted, but be prepared for a long wait. It's probably easier and quicker to learn how to edit yourself rather than waiting on someone to edit for you.

A tip if you're recording for someone else to edit for you: when you make a mistake, make a loud noise such as a clapping sound into the recording, causing a spike. Then your editor can quickly edit out the majority of the mistakes without as much work. Make it as easy for an editor as possible!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

You can find TONS of helpful videos in Phil (philchenevert)'s signature, too!
Once you start editing, you'll get better, faster and more efficient, so don't give up! Also, as you read you'll become more and more fluent, so you won't make as many mistakes.
My main words of advice are stick with it, keep trying and don't give up! You'll eventually get great at it, just like the pros!
It doesn't take all that long to edit, once you get the hang of it, and if you stick to shorter pieces (like poetry or short chapters) the prooflistening and editing process is much smoother and shorter.
Good luck!
Best,
JayKitty
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~