[COMPLETE] Helps to Holiness by SL Brengle - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Helps to Holiness by Samuel Logan Brengle (1860 - 1936).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/helps-to-holiness-by-samuel-logan-brengle/
Samuel Logan Brengle was a commissioner in the Salvation Army. His books are known for the practicality, joyfulness and authenticity. His life was spent working with people on the streets, so his insights into the work of the Holy Spirit are relevant to everyday life. His holiness was that of the street, the kitchen, and everyday life. His stories are of men and women living their daily lives. This book is the first in his "Holiness" trilogy, explaining what Holiness is and how to get it. (Summary by Beth Thomas)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!):
      https://archive.org/details/helpstoholiness_zip/
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Other

Keywords that describe the book: Christian living, salvation army, evangelism, holiness

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of Helps to Holiness. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Helps to Holiness, by Samuel Logan Brengle. [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Helps to Holiness, by Samuel Logan Brengle. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      helpstoholiness_##_brengle_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. helpstoholiness_01_brengle_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dlolso21
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by Elizabby on April 29th, 2019, 4:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

:hmm: the source isn't exactly a dated scan is it? And he didn't die till 1936, so we would be trusting that kindle got it right and used a pre-1923 edition? Think I need some more expert advice.

Anne
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

I got the download and can dpl this. :)
Pattymarie
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Sorry, I think I put the wrong link by mistake - I've now changed it to the one TriciaG approved on a previous thread: https://archive.org/download/HelpsToHoliness

(Thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69322&p=1516882&hilit=brengle+PD#p1516882)

As previously arranged, Patty will DPL for this project.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I can view the epub book, so I'll definitely read something here. I'll wait for the MW. :D
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

There seems to be a bit of confusion. I didn't green light this text source - I said I couldn't access the text on it. We'd need to find out what source was used for it.

Is there any sort of source information given in the epub?
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Sorry, when you said "I think the Archive ones are OK to use" in direct response to my question "Are the Archive downloads OK to use?" I assumed that included this one, although several were mentioned. The Kindle format SixBooksByBrengle listed on the same thread seems to me clumsy to use, but I can if you prefer.

The epub has the 1896 original forward in it, no other dates are given that I can see. The metadata says it is open source, uploaded in 2010, for what that's worth.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Or there's this one which is declared by the library holding it to be PD, made from a PD copy from 1896: http://wesley.nnu.edu/wesleyctr/books/0301-0400/HDM0348.PDF

I didn't go with this one originally because it appears to be made from a CD scan, but I suppose a library declaration of OD is more reliable than Archive or Kindle?
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

If you get a “GO” for launch, PD-wise, I’d like to nominate for Chapter 6 - Fight The Good Fight of Faith please.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm sorry to say that we can't accept either of the links and no one I've talked with can find a clearly PD one. So it seems like there isn't a copy we can use on line .

Anne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Bummer! Well, I gave in and finally bought the 1912 copy I told you about. I should receive it in about a week or so, and then I will see what I can do.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Go Devorah!

Do you want to use this project template and have me BC and Patty DPL off your scan? Or shall we delete this project and you can start a new one?

I had really thought that one of the online versions would be acceptable - it's a book from 1896, but I guess first editions are hard to find!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

This project can probably be moved to Book Suggestions while we work out the details.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I've got this on my watch list. :D
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm happy to let you BC and just provide the text. Or, I think one of our admins (can't remember who) said that I might be able to check my copy against one of the texts we have to see if it matches? But anyway, I'll let you know when the book arrives, and then we'll see what can be done. It will take some time, of course, to scan it, but I'm willing to do that if we need to.

I'm a sucker for old books anyway. I mean, not just books that were written a long time ago, but actual physical books that are a hundred years or more old. So it didn't take much convincing to get me to buy it, and the price wasn't bad. And anyway, it's for a good cause, right??? :wink: :lol: