Book suggestions in languages other than English

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Hello i found this book from the National Library of Chile
http://www.memoriachilena.cl/602/w3-article-9315.html
In that page they say that material is free of copyright property and could be used for anyone freely I know that mention that date of 1972 but they also explain that this particular translation is part of "Patrimonio cultural comun" and the publisher gave up its copyright
It can be used as a valid source?
I paste the explanation of that kind of material (in spanish unfortunately, i´ll try to translate it, but i can make some mistakes) Este documento pertenece al patrimonio cultural común, por lo que puede ser utilizado y reproducido libremente (This document belongs to "patrimonio cultural comun" and can be used and reproduced freely)
Objetos digitales:
Todos los documentos, imágenes y archivos audiovisuales digitalizados que forman parte de la colección de Memoria Chilena se rigen por la Ley N° 17.336 sobre Propiedad Intelectual. De acuerdo con esto, se pueden identificar los siguientes casos:
(All the digitalized documents, images and audiovisual material that belongs to Memoria Chilena are under Law Nº 17336 about Intelectual Properties, and we can distiguish the following cases:)

1.- Objetos digitales que forman parte del Patrimonio Cultural Común:
(1-Digitalized Objects that belongs to Patrimonio cultural comun:)

En Memoria Chilena se pueden encontrar obras de gran valor patrimonial que forman parte del Patrimonio Cultural Común. Tales creaciones, pueden ser utilizadas por cualquiera, siempre que se respete la paternidad y la integridad de la obra.
(We can find many works of high value in Memoria Chilena that integrate part of Patrimonio Cultural comun, they can be used freely and by any who desire it but they always have to mention the author and respect its integrity)
En tal sentido, la Ley mencionada señala que este patrimonio se compone por:
In that sense that mentioned Law points that this Patrimonio ii integrated by:
a) Las obras cuyo plazo de protección se haya extinguido;
a) Works which date of protection is finished
b) La obra de autor desconocido, incluyéndose las canciones, leyendas, danzas y las expresiones del acervo folklórico;
b) Works of unknown authors, including songs, legends, dances and expresions of folk heritage
c) Las obras cuyos titulares renunciaron a la protección que otorga esta ley;
c) Works which their makers resigned the protection of that law (This is the case of this book in particular)
d) Las obras de autores extranjeros, domiciliados en el exterior, que no estén protegidos en la forma establecida en el artículo 2° de la Ley N° 17.336;
d)Works of foreign authors, addressed in foreign countries, that are not specifically protected under the 2nd article of that law
e) Las obras que fueren expropiadas por el Estado, salvo que la ley especifique un beneficiario.
e) Works expropiated by the Estate, unless the law specify a beneficiary
One book to rule them all and in the Public Domain bind them
floramiller

Post by floramiller »

I was just wondering whether this has been done in Polish yet? Could be quite fun, but have no idea where to start...
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Hello Flora,
you wrote:I was just wondering whether this has been done in Polish yet? Could be quite fun, but have no idea where to start...
What is the "this" you are referring to? There are recordings in Polish on LV, you can find them here.

As to where to start, have you visited the Wiki yet? See the 'Volunteering' section on that page...

Welcome to LibriVox! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Riesenkoenig

Post by Riesenkoenig »

Hi,
there seems to be no free version of the german animal farm, Farm der Tiere, by George Orwell. I would ofcourse volunteer to read that, i just need green light :)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Since Animal Farm was published in 1945, that'll be a long, long time until it's PD in the US - and since Orwell lived until 1950, none of his books will be PD in Europe until 2021.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Riesenkoenig

Post by Riesenkoenig »

Thank you! Good to know, but also kinda sad, its a great read :)
schrm

Post by schrm »

Hint for admins: I didn't post it correctly, in the thread "Book suggestions in languages other than English" - I am sorry. Please, add it to this thread!
Note from admin: done! :)
thank you! :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[German - Deutsch] 'Freiland. Ein sociales Zukunftsbild' by Theodor Hertzka

Copyrights:
Unten verlinkt die vierte Ausgabe von 1890 - Hertzka lebte von 1845 bis 1924

Link:
https://archive.org/stream/freilandeinsocia00hert#page/n7/mode/2up

Autor:
Hertzka studierte an der Universität Wien Ökonomie, war Redakteur bei der 'Neuen Freien Presse' und gründete die 'Wiener Allgemeine Zeitung'.
Laut Wikipedia schlug er zB einen günstigen Einheitstarif pro Person im Eisenbahnverkehr vor - damals als Utopie verkannt, heutzutage Normalität.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodor_Hertzka

Buch:
Im Stil einer Reportage beschreibt Hertzka, auf universitären Theorien und ökonomischem Fachwissen aufbauend, "die Utopie einer freiwirtschaftlichen Siedlungsgenossenschaft im heutigen Kenia." (zitiert aus Wikipedia, Artikel Theodor Hertzka).
Viele Zeitgenossen von Hertzka beachteten dieses Werk, so zB Hertzl im Vorwort zu seinem 'Der Judenstaat', Franz Oppenheimer oder die Gebrüder Lilienthal, aber lehnten die Utopie als solche ab.
"Unter atemloser Spannung aller Anwesenden nahm der Vorsitzende - Dr. Strahl - das Wort', um die Versammlung zu eröffnen und zu begrüßen. Die alle Erwartungen der Einberufer überflügelnde Zahl der neuen Mitglieder und die Höhe der gezeichneten Beiträge zeuge dafür, daß die Bedeutung des von der Internationalen freien Gesellschaft beabsichtigten Unternehmens heute schon, noch bevor die Thatsachen gesprochen, vollauf erkannt worden sei von Tausenden aus allen Teilen der bewohnten Erde ohne Unterschied des Geschlechtes und der Lebensstellung." (Zitat Seite 5)
Ein Kleinod österreichischer, jüdischer Literatur aus der produktiven, kreativen Zeit der Jahrhundertwende:
Laut Wikipedia gab es mehrere Auswirkungen und auf diesem Buch aufbauende Genossenschaftsprojekte - wobei das im Buch als Utopie beschriebene, in Kenia tatsächlich versuchte, scheiterte.
(schrm)

Administratives:
- 335 Seiten
- sehr kurzes Vorwort + 27 Kapitel + Schlusswort = 29 Abschnitte
- die Kapitel sind grossteils eher mittel-lang, mit Ausnahmen. Rein rechnerisch (335/28) liegt die Durchschnittslänge pro Abschnitt bei 12 Seiten. Die Projektabschnitte eignen sich meiner Meinung nach als Gruppenprojekt: zB auch zur Vorbereitung eines Solo, um das Lesen längerer Abschnitte zu üben, oder zur Abwechslung nebenher für Leser eines Solo.
- Die Vorlage auf archiv.org ist in Fraktur gedruckt, was mMn gegen eine Verwendung als Gruppenprojekt sprechen könnte.
Last edited by schrm on March 25th, 2018, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Next time, you might want to post German suggestions here:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=53741

:P
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
schrm

Post by schrm »

Availle wrote: March 25th, 2018, 6:17 am Next time, you might want to post German suggestions here:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=53741

:P
Ich glaube, den kannte ich noch gar nicht?
Ging auf jeden Fall unter..

Danke!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Darro

Post by Darro »

Hello,
I'd like to suggest a French book : "Les lettres persanes", as in my opinion, the epistolary format of the book is very interesting for a collaborative reading project as the multiple readers can correspond to the different writers. What's more a few characters have many letters for those very involved, but some also have a few or only one letter, which is really easier / less intimidating than a full chapter for beginners and may make the "missing parts" easier to fill.
Here is the link to the first volume on Guttemberg : http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/30268
Tell me what you think :)

Darro
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

We did the first book:
https://librivox.org/les-lettres-persanes-tome-premier-by-charles-louis-de-secondat-baron-de-la-brede-et-de-montesquieu/

It was even meant as a kind of dramatic reading, where people would read the letters of a single writer, but it did break down in the end a bit. Took ages to complete...

Not sure how many other "books" are out there. Would be a worthwhile thing to do, but it might take a long time to complete (especially if set up as the first time).
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Darro

Post by Darro »

:O Hadn't seen it.
There are two tomes, the second being about the same number of letters.
ChristianeJehanne

Post by ChristianeJehanne »

Bonjour, Darro,

J’avais suggéré ce tome 2, dans notre rubrique Française.
Ezwa a répondu.

Enregistrer des lettres, oui, je veux bien.
Organiser le Livre audio, je ne le pourrai pas. Je n’ai pas du tout le temps.

Voilà, cher Darro.

Si quelqu’un a le temps de mettre en place, de contrôler, je participerai volontiers pour enregistrer.

A bientôt,
bien cordialement, :)
Christiane Jehanne.
Myon

Post by Myon »

Hi, I'd like to suggest some books in Chinese
https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%B8%89%E8%A8%80%E4%BA%8C%E6%8B%8D
They're first published in the 1600s so definitely in public domain.
:D
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Myon wrote: November 24th, 2018, 3:05 pm Hi, I'd like to suggest some books in Chinese
https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%B8%89%E8%A8%80%E4%BA%8C%E6%8B%8D
They're first published in the 1600s so definitely in public domain.
:D
Hi and welcome to librivox!

It would be great to have more chinese recordings in the catalog :D theres only one thing to take into account:
make sure that the texts you want to record are at least 95 years old!
This is an oddity of american copyright. We can only (with some exceptions) record texts from 1922 or older. So if you would like to record a very old text, thats great! But you do need to find a printed source from 1922 or older.

Does that make sense? Any chance i can convince you to record and add to our chinese language database?
Carolin