Peter Block near Portland, Oregon, USA

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
PeterBlock

Post by PeterBlock »

Hello! Peter here. I'm new.

I've been aware of Librivox and enjoyed the recordings for a number of years. As an autodidact, I'm catching up on the classics I didn't get around to in school--making use of time when my body is busy but my mind is free to listen. There's a lot more of that time than meets the eye.

I was a radio announcer for 17 years, working at various AM and FM stations on the West Coast of the United States from Portland to San Jose. I made a little extra money on the side doing television commercial voiceovers. I've been out of radio for some years now and don't miss the workload I had, but I would like to make use of my skills now and then in service to a good cause. I have a little home studio I'm using for two commentary podcasts, so I think my system is pretty much ready to go for my first Librivox project.

Incidentally, everything I do (with a computer) I do on Linux. The distribution I happen to use is Ubuntu Studio, which has a nice assortment of software with it, including Audacity, which I use for simple recording projects. When I tell Windows and Mac users all my software is free, some of them think I'm stealing it. I remember my initial disbelief when I first checked into what Linux had to offer and began to realize I was going to leave Windows behind, probably forever.

I live in the woods and am caretaker to my 91-year-old mother, who takes a walk every day and isn't on any medications. I hope I'm that healthy when I'm her age.

I'm looking forward to making a contribution, and thank you in advance for the help I'll probably ask for at some point.

Peter
The Story of a Movie is a "making-of" featurette for your ears.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Welcome Peter, we hope you join us in recording lots of PD books for the universe.
Follow your welcome email; it is full of great information.
Do your 1 minute test and get an OK on your tech specs. I am sure your voice will be great and this is just to be sure your specs match the ones we use.

ask lots of questions and have fun. :thumbs:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
PeterBlock

Post by PeterBlock »

Thanks, Phil.

Glad to be here.
The Story of a Movie is a "making-of" featurette for your ears.