Don't you hate...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

When you are recording and the dog you dog-sit comes into the room behind you and gives a good shake, cheerfully jingling her tags and making you jump, and then you just keep going and re-read the sentence thus interrupted...

And then when editing a day later in a different house with no dogs and no tags, having forgotten the dog interruption the previous day, you hit that section of the recording and jump AGAIN and look wildly around for the invisible ghost dog with the noisy tags?

Or is that just me....

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
linny

Post by linny »

:lol: Love it! Thanks for the story Colleen.
SlickWiggler

Post by SlickWiggler »

...when you record for an hour and a half, and your headphones are plugged into your audio interface for direct monitoring, so it sounds like you're recording through your good mic, but then you go to edit and you realize you recorded every single bit of it with your awful laptop mic because Audacity defaulted to it rather than the interface... So then you go start to re-record it all when your baby brother wakes up from his nap and starts screaming...
Please give me feedback! I'm always trying to improve!

Matt Bounds
Mmemari

Post by Mmemari »

Yes, that has happened, but since I'm new to recording and Librivox, I couldn't figure out why the two recordings were different :hmm:
I thought something was wrong with my mike, it took three days to figure out that the laptop mike took over.

-Mari
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I've done that multiple times. Two hints I've learned:

1) if you are using Audacity to record, make sure microphone is plugged in BEFORE opening Audacity. If it's there, Audacity defaults to it. If it isn't, it defaults to the built-in one. If you plug the mike in after Audacity is open, you usually have to manually select the USB microphone.

2) If you are recording, and notice that though you are reading in your usual tone but the scrolling volume line (I'm not sure what the official term is but the squiggly blue line that scrolls across the screen while you are recording) seems unusually tiny, check the mike selection.

I've learned these the hard way, but between the two I've been able to avoid this problem or at least catch it early, before I've read a 30 minute piece!

Colleen
Last edited by ColleenMc on November 13th, 2018, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

In my current solo, I'm happily recording the next chapter. My character sits down to an organ and starts playing various hymns.

I don't know them.

The first one, I was able to find a YouTube video and music score, and I got through it fine.

The second one, I have a score, but no way to hear the thing. Do you know how hard it is to sight read music without any auditory help? Ugh!

Scanning the chapter, there are a couple other songs. I am scared to think how hard they'll be to find and sing. :?

I could make up tunes, I suppose, or use other hymns that fit. But it's nice to be authentic.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

There are virtual piano and guitars online and the output can be recorded, but I'm not sure it would help me - just suggesting.

Anne
SlickWiggler

Post by SlickWiggler »

TriciaG wrote: November 13th, 2018, 1:15 pm In my current solo, I'm happily recording the next chapter. My character sits down to an organ and starts playing various hymns.

I don't know them.

The first one, I was able to find a YouTube video and music score, and I got through it fine.

The second one, I have a score, but no way to hear the thing. Do you know how hard it is to sight read music without any auditory help? Ugh!

Scanning the chapter, there are a couple other songs. I am scared to think how hard they'll be to find and sing. :?

I could make up tunes, I suppose, or use other hymns that fit. But it's nice to be authentic.
I actually might have an old Methodist hymnal lying around. What hymns are they? I'll see if they're in the hymnal. I have experience with music production too, so if I have them I can render them into mp3s for you if you want.
Please give me feedback! I'm always trying to improve!

Matt Bounds
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I also have access to a few hymnals, but assuming they're not there, could you share the score here? I'm sure there are several folks (myself included) who would be willing to record the melody or create an mp3 for you.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

TriciaG wrote: November 13th, 2018, 1:15 pm The second one, I have a score, but no way to hear the thing. Do you know how hard it is to sight read music without any auditory help? Ugh!
Very much. I double Devorah, if you post the scores you might get help :)
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

The very night that the frogs outside the back-door pipe down for once, and you think you can get a recording session in ... and the cicada hatch kicks in.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: November 14th, 2018, 2:15 am The very night that the frogs outside the back-door pipe down for once, and you think you can get a recording session in ... and the cicada hatch kicks in.

Chris
:lol:

I laugh... only to keep from weeping.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks, folks!

Here's a link to a PDF of one of the tunes: https://hymnary.org/media/fetch/
The hymn: https://hymnary.org/text/the_day_of_rest_once_more_comes_round

Second song:
https://hymnary.org/text/father_in_thy_mysterious_presence_kneeli
PDF of the tune: https://hymnary.org/media/fetch/109437
Or a PDF of another tune for the same song: https://www.ccel.org/cceh/0010/001053a.pdf

I'm an alto, so I'll have to transpose any high and potentially screechy tunes. :lol:

EDIT: I'm going to request help in a new thread. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Kozmique

Post by Kozmique »

When you decide to jump feet first into recording and immediately several new construction projects start up on both ends of your block, a neighbor decides to renovate their apartment, and another neighbor has a newborn baby :help:
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

... When you have five days off and plan to spend lots of it on Librivox, and your PC suddenly and inexplicably demands a password to even open.
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021