COMPLETE[PLAY]The Funeral: or Grief A-La-Mode by Richard Steele - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Serendipity1 wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 1:31 pm I can go by Kay for my reader name.
all right, short and to the point :)

here is your reader page then: https://librivox.org/reader/12891

All your projects will be listed here, so in time you'll have quite a cool portfolio hopefully :D you can see which sections are still outstanding, which have PL notes and which are PL ok already, if you click on "Reader Section Details".

And now, have fun with your first role :9: If you wish, you can do one act and upload that one already and I can give you feedback before you start on the others. But it's up to you.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Serendipity1

Post by Serendipity1 »

I have managed to complete it! I'd say I did pretty okay for my first time!
I'm a bit angry at my voice, as I'm sure it's not as mature and cool as I'd like it to be, but I did try, right?
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/funeralorgriefalamode_servant_1_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/funeralorgriefalamode_servant_2_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/funeralorgriefalamode_servant_5_128kb.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Serendipity1 wrote: November 12th, 2018, 8:32 pmI have managed to complete it! I'd say I did pretty okay for my first time!
I'm a bit angry at my voice, as I'm sure it's not as mature and cool as I'd like it to be, but I did try, right?
thank you, Kay, and it's normal that we are always our biggest critic in voice-recording ;) I thought you did very well. You gave the servant a gruff voice, he seems to be a no-nonsense kind of person. It's a good characterisation and you kept it consistent in the three acts. What more can one want ;)

I would like to mention the volume and background noise though, which especially in the first Act is really too excessive and it spoils the listening experience. Now we can edit it out in the editing phase, but I wanted to give you a step-by-step to clean your own files, because you will definitely need this tool in future ;)

Let's hope you have the Audacity program, then here is how to do it:

Please try with your first act:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (a good place here is between 0:04 and 0:05)
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK

you will see that the fuzzy lines will be much smoother and if you listen again, the noise will be less

Also, your volume is way too loud. Again, the editor will equalize the volumes of all readers in the dramas, but if you do chapters in other books, which are not drama, you are supposed to edit this yourself, so here is how to do it:

again, on the first Act, which is over 93 dB (preferable would be around 89, anything over 92 is outside our limits)

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input -3 (don't forget the MINUS sign !) in the first slot on TOP (amplification dB)
> press ok

the wavy lines will become shorter, and this will also further decrease the background noise ;)

could you try this will all your sections, just to get a bit of practice in please ?

Also I have one PL note for Act 3:

> at 0:15: "Oh, you dog, you could speak loud enough just now, sirrah, when your brother rogues mauled Mr. Sable. We'll make you speak, sirrah." – for some reason you left out both times the “sirrah”. I was wondering why ? :hmm: Could you maybe redo that line and include them, so that it’s really sure he is speaking with contempt to the man ?

To edit errors, simply record the sentence in another audacity window, try to match the same tone of voice ;) then copy/paste it over your initial recording that was faulty. Also try to give it the same volume and noise-cleaning treatment.

The other two acts were textually ok :) I could give them the PL ok, but I would prefer if you reuploaded with a bit of noise-cleaning and volume reduction, just to get the hang of it for further sections.

If anything is still unclear, don't hesitate to ask.

Sonia
Serendipity1

Post by Serendipity1 »

Absolutely! I was actually hoping to ask you about editing, to make it easier on the editors!
I'll make sure I make all the proper corrections, and thank you for telling me how. It's kind of ironic for act one, I was worried that it was too quiet! :lol:
Thank you for the feedback! I want to make sure I do this right, so I appreciate it!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Serendipity1 wrote: November 13th, 2018, 7:13 amAbsolutely! I was actually hoping to ask you about editing, to make it easier on the editors!
ah great, thanks for understanding. Well normally we don't really ask for re-uploads in drama if it's only the background noise and no other errors (of course our hard-working editor (Todd) always appreciates the best possible quality :9: ), but I wanted you to learn the editing process a bit, because in all other projects, you are indeed responsible to deliver the edited version ;) so best learn it from the start.

And it's really easy once you do it a few times. Especially if you have Audacity, you will do it in your sleep soon :mrgreen:
I'll make sure I make all the proper corrections, and thank you for telling me how. It's kind of ironic for act one, I was worried that it was too quiet! :lol:
well, your playing and calm voice was "quiet" in a way (not a bad thing though, it's your "composed" persona, which is cool). But the volume made it loud :lol:

If you need any further help, let me know. You'll get the hang of it soon. The first sections are always the hardest.

Sonia
Serendipity1

Post by Serendipity1 »

Thank you for your support, and here are the revised entries!

Ah, and one more thing!
I noticed that occasionally, I hear the rush of air when I pronounce letters like P,T, etc. Is there a way I can reduce those, or would I need to redo it?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Serendipity1 wrote: November 13th, 2018, 8:35 am Thank you for your support, and here are the revised entries!

Ah, and one more thing!
I noticed that occasionally, I hear the rush of air when I pronounce letters like P,T, etc. Is there a way I can reduce those, or would I need to redo it?
The rush of air sounds are hard to edit out. Best way is to prevent them with a "pop filter". There are commercial ones available, but I had one for 5 years made from a piece of pantyhose stretched over a small picture frame that I mounted in front of my microphone. The mesh breaks up the air stream so you don't hear the pop sounds but your voice is otherwise unaffected.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

sorry, but these are the exact same files than before. :? Maybe you uploaded the wrong files twice by mistake. The volume is still the same and the missing words still missing.
Ah, and one more thing!
also remember that your volume was very loud, so clipping may have occured. In that case the plosives are even more pronounced. Todd's idea for a pop-filter is already good. Another thing that helps is putting your microphone a bit to the side of your face, so that you don't "blow" straight into it. The air will then pass more alongside it and this will reduce the plosives. Other than that, you can train yourself and wil practice you'll get better at controlling them. If you have Audacity, a good idea is to watch the waves appear while you speak. You will soon see a pattern what the plosives look like and if the spikes are getting too high and frizzy, a good thing is to re-record that sentence ;)

Could you reupload the correct files once more please ? I hope you didn't forget to save them :hmm:

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: November 14th, 2018, 9:34 am Tom the clerk - act 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/funeralorgriefalamode_clerk_1.mp3
:lol: excellent, Alan, this scene will be so funny. First, there's you rattling off this list of bequeaths and then Leanne as the lawyer repeating it all in highly dubious Latin :mrgreen: It will be a very comic scene.

Clerk is immediately PL ok. Thanks !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Lord Brumpton recorded and in the MW for PL. New microphone and recording setup - hope it meets with approval!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: November 14th, 2018, 11:41 amLord Brumpton recorded and in the MW for PL. New microphone and recording setup - hope it meets with approval!
how exciting, your first recording with the Yeti ! I was already curious, and it didn't disappoint. :9: I love the sound and I hope you had fun again recording with it.

As for Lord Brumpton...excellent job. :thumbs: No errors and PL ok immediately. You start out as a bit of a naive fop, but soon he wisens up quite a bit; a good character development. And as you probably have guessed, I love the scene where you can bring in your wonderfully desperate "oh's" and "ah's" again :lol: I was spoilt this time.

Thanks, wonderful acting, wonderful sound !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Serendipity1

Post by Serendipity1 »

Kitty wrote: November 14th, 2018, 12:52 am
sorry, but these are the exact same files than before. :? Maybe you uploaded the wrong files twice by mistake. The volume is still the same and the missing words still missing.
Ah, and one more thing!
also remember that your volume was very loud, so clipping may have occured. In that case the plosives are even more pronounced. Todd's idea for a pop-filter is already good. Another thing that helps is putting your microphone a bit to the side of your face, so that you don't "blow" straight into it. The air will then pass more alongside it and this will reduce the plosives. Other than that, you can train yourself and wil practice you'll get better at controlling them. If you have Audacity, a good idea is to watch the waves appear while you speak. You will soon see a pattern what the plosives look like and if the spikes are getting too high and frizzy, a good thing is to re-record that sentence ;)

Could you reupload the correct files once more please ? I hope you didn't forget to save them :hmm:

Sonia

Hmm, that was weird! I think it was because I copied the original files to music instead of deleting them, and when I revised it I confused the revised files with the originals. I'm sorry you've had to listen to my lines over and over again due to my mistake!
I hadn't thought of placing the microphone to the side of my face! Thank you for the ideas, and I may just use all of them!
Here are the actual files, and sorry again!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Serendipity1 wrote: November 15th, 2018, 10:41 amHmm, that was weird! I think it was because I copied the original files to music instead of deleting them, and when I revised it I confused the revised files with the originals. I'm sorry you've had to listen to my lines over and over again due to my mistake!
no worries. I actually noticed straight away because I got the same warning from the Checker program when I ran the files through it. :lol: So I knew they must have been the old files.
I hadn't thought of placing the microphone to the side of my face! Thank you for the ideas, and I may just use all of them!
yes try the microphone position. It helps me a lot.
Here are the actual files, and sorry again!
yes there's the "sirrah" in there. I can mark them all PL ok now.

Even though...now your volume is way below our limits, only 82 dB. :? This should not have happened if you had decreased with -3 as I suggested. This looks like you decrease with -10. :shock:

Or maybe you put in the number in the wrong box. Did you put it in the UPPER box, called Amplification (dB) ? Not in the LOWER box called New Peak Amplitude (dB). That one should always stay at 0.

But no matter, Todd can amplify again, it's not big deal. No need to reupload again. Your first role is finished :clap: I hope you liked the process enough so we can hear you soon in another play. There's still plenty on offer that need help to fill in the roles. :mrgreen:

Thank you

Sonia