COMPLETE: Doctor Syn by Russell Thorndike -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

You may open a discussion in suggestions and comments. viewforum.php?f=24

I imagine it would require a change to our technical specifications. Currently, as long as a section is between 86 and92dB it is acceptable and it does mean that you could listen to one section at 86 and the next at 92. At cataloging all the sections can be brought closer together in volume but only if there are no spikes in the lower dB sections.

As for the noise floor, it can be mentioned at time of PL but, as long as the words can be heard then they pass standard PL.
PaleWriter

Post by PaleWriter »

If I'm not mistaken, this 28:28 is the last missing link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/doctorsyn_33_thorndike_128kb.mp3

See, now - that wasn't so easy, was it?
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

33 PL OK. Finished!
PaleWriter

Post by PaleWriter »

linny wrote: November 1st, 2018, 1:44 am You may open a discussion in suggestions and comments. viewforum.php?f=24

I imagine it would require a change to our technical specifications. Currently, as long as a section is between 86 and92dB it is acceptable and it does mean that you could listen to one section at 86 and the next at 92. At cataloging all the sections can be brought closer together in volume but only if there are no spikes in the lower dB sections.

As for the noise floor, it can be mentioned at time of PL but, as long as the words can be heard then they pass standard PL.

Hi

I would be willing to batch process this project's chapter files IF YOU WANT - and you can take or leave my effort - no obligation, as they say.

At the very least, I could re-norm my own chapters to better fit the others, which I suspect were normalized to a lower level than mine (probably another spec that escaped my attention at some point).

Either way, having a zip to D/L all at once would be helpful - if it's feasible.

Soon we're off to press, eh?

Thanks!!!

pw
linny

Post by linny »

PaleWriter,
Thank you for your offer however we don’t tend to alter any other readers recording and they would all have to be spot checked after you uploaded them. It’s really not something we can do. If policies are changed then it would be fine but not at this time.
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you readers for helping to bring this project to completion and a special thanks to Dave fo4 all the PL work.

Jo, we are ready when you have the time. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
PaleWriter

Post by PaleWriter »

Well, fine - but what then of my toning mine down to better match the others???
linny

Post by linny »

Jo,
It looks like you have begun the cataloging process. :help:

Do you know which versions of PaleWriter's files you have? Did you by any chance start the process prior to his last upload? With the latest version I'm going to need to PL 28, 29, and 31 again as the times do not match the original PL ok version. The rest have been spot checked and are fine.

EDIT: Jo, the latest versions of 28, 29, and 31 are also PL OK. Whichever version you have processing are fine.
Last edited by linny on November 2nd, 2018, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
linny

Post by linny »

PaleWriter,
Please keep in mind that we ask that unless you are the BC or Pling that you do not download files prior to catalog. This request is above the MW of all projects.
Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!
PaleWriter

Post by PaleWriter »

I understand - which is why I mentioned a zip file before. That idea being denied, but wanting to tend my own (which of course I have here) I simply grabbed one sample chapter from each of the 3 other readers - to try to minimize the impact, in keeping with the rule of thumb. Not to mention the ungodly time (wee hours) that I was doing this, so interference was unlikely.

As for length of files, all but one were within 1 second, due apparently to rounding up or down. I think it was 28, however, that was 4 or 5 seconds off according to the magic window list on page 1. If you'll drop back to my post when I submitted that chapter, you'll find that same discrepancy. I checked my source here again and it matched what I sent at that time, so - like the rest of my chapters, all I did was re-normalize, nothing that would change length or any other manner of editing that would change anything OTHER THAN the volume level.

I do intend to await the official posting to D/L the zip - but I had the temerity to deem this a necessary evil for the good of the project.

So fire me - as it seems my hopes for a raise are unlikely to be honored.

tee hee
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

linny wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 6:45 am Jo,
It looks like you have begun the cataloging process. :help:

Do you know which versions of PaleWriter's files you have? Did you by any chance start the process prior to his last upload? With the latest version I'm going to need to PL 28, 29, and 31 again as the times do not match the original PL ok version. The rest have been spot checked and are fine.

EDIT: Jo, the latest versions of 28, 29, and 31 are also PL OK. Whichever version you have processing are fine.
No worries. I hadn't imported the files I to the Validation process yet, so the latest versions will be used.

As a note for future projects, there is a volume adjustment that is built into the cataloging process. We use mp3gain so if you are using an mp3 player to listen, then it should apply the changes. Streaming on a computer may or may not recognize the volume adjustment. No clipping is allowed so some files can not be adjusted unless the MC downloads the file, makes adjustment by hand and reuploads. I will only do this if something is way off.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Congratulations! This book is now in the LibriVox catalog and available for listeners to download. Please check the catalog page and let me know if any changes are needed.

https://librivox.org/doctor-syn-by-russell-thorndike/
Jo
linny

Post by linny »

Jo,
The production details are showing as a solo. Other than that it looks good.

Thank you for your help on this project. :clap:
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Ah, thanks for catching that! Fixed.
Jo