[COMPLETE] Finnish Legends by R. Eivind-arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

A usable copy for section 17 is here:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.31158004857420;view=1up;seq=128

There are actually two pages of text missing, pages 94-95 in the text linked to above.
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

fantastic - I tried Archive as it often has PG scans but no luck.

Anne
Of course, it doesn't show for me in Australia :roll: limited search only
Can you download the pages somehow, or do you have to be a member? If you could we could make it available in the catalogued project, if you need to be a member I'll ask someone else. I don't know where banana tree comes from-, I assume he will tell us if he can read it
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

Sections 32 and 33 PL OK ! :thumbs:

Thanks,
aniroo
aniroo :wink:
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Anne -

I can download them as individual pages. I have them both as PDF and JPG files; the PDF files are more readable. How can I send them to you?

I also sent an errata to PG, but it may be awhile before they can make the correction.
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Fritz

Trollope
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

No, it's not, Google don't bother about other countries PD rules - it's just easier to ban us. I usually write to them but I don't think it does any good.

I'm not sure if the uploader accepts pdfs - try and use my folder . If it doesn't could you zip them ?

Anne
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Uploader didn't like PDFs, but the JPG's seem to have gone over alright. Are they useable? Another option would be to post the text here, if that is okay.
Fritz

Trollope
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That would be OK
I'll have a look at the jpg to see how hard they are to read when I'm not doing something else - I'm editing an mp3 and need to concentrate :D
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Okay - here comes the text.
Last edited by pschempf on October 26th, 2018, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fritz

Trollope
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

The missing text from section 17 -

..., and a magic staff of the strongest metal, as he was going to seek the lost words from the wise Wipunen. Ilmarinen made him the shoes and gloves and staff, but said: 'The wise magician Wipunen died long ages ago, he surely cannot tell thee the magic words'.

Still Wainamoinen was not disheartened, but began his journey. The first day he hurried along over the points of needles, and all the second day over the sword edges, and on the evening of the third day he had come across the edges of the hatchets and reached the spot where Wipunen lay buried. From Wipunen's shoulders grew great aspens, on each temple grew a birch-tree, on his mighty chin an alder, from his beard grew willows, from his mouth a fir-tree, and an oak upon his forehead.

Then Wainamoinen drew his magic hatchet from its leather sheath, and cut down all the trees that were growing over Wipunen. And then he took his magic staff and thrust it between Wipunen's teeth and prized open his mouth, and as he did so he sang to spell to bring Wipunen's spirit back from the Deathland, Tuonela. And when the spell was sung, Wipunen felt the pain of the staff within his mouth, and bit it so hard that he cut clear through the iron outside, but the center was of steel, too hard even for Wipunen's teeth. So he opened his mouth wide in anguish, and as he did so Wainamoinen slipped and fell headlong, armor and all, right down his throat. And Wipunen said, as he swallowed him: 'I have eaten sheep and reindeer, bears and oxen, but I have never tasted a sweeter morsel than this.'

But now Wainamoinen was sorely perplexed to know what he should do. After pondering over the matter, he took a dagger that he wore, and from the wooden handle he built a boat by the aid of magic spells, and began to row all through the old magician's body, through every single vein and vessel, but Wipunen scarcely felt it, and paid no attention to him. Then Wainamoinen thought again, and taking off his armour he made it into a forge with bellows and all complete, and used his knees for an anvil and his arm for a hammer, and started to work. For three days he worked away inside the magician's body, until the bellows blew a perfect whirlwind and the anvil rang like thunder.

At length old Wipunen could bear it no longer and cried out: 'What great magician art thou, for I have eaten many men and heroes, but never such an one as thou: for the smoke is pouring from my nostrils, and the fire streams from my mouth, and my throat is full of iron clinkers. Go and leave me, wretched torturer. Why hast thou come hither to hurt me? Art thou a trial sent by mighty Ukko,...
Fritz

Trollope
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Fantastic. I'll think about the best way to include it in the catalogue for the sake of those who like "reading along with the text"

Anne
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

I haven't heard back from PG and don't expect to for a few days, but eventually they will fix their scan. I can provide the patch if they will accept it from a second party other than those that originally created the ebook.
Fritz

Trollope
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Ok, I'll keep an eye on the PG text, we've a bit of a way to go to finish There are easy ways to add extra text links if I need to then
Nice to feel that because the reader noticed the missing text, and you found the scan, we are contributing to PG :9: :9: :9:

Anne
bananatree

Post by bananatree »

Brilliant, hats off to you guys!
bananatree

Post by bananatree »