[COMPLETE] The New Republic by William H Mallock - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Foon

Post by Foon »

The New Republic; or Culture, Faith and Philosophy in an English Country House by William Hurrell Mallock (1849 - 1923).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-new-republic-or-culture-faith-and-philosophy-in-an-english-country-house-by-william-hurrell-mallock/

The novel is a satire mocking most of the important figures at Oxford University at the time of publication, with regards to aestheticism and Hellenism.
The book became a best seller in its time and retains much of its humour and satirical bite today. As author David Daiches wrote in 1951, "If we can read through The New Republic without at one point or another being made to feel a little foolish, we are wise indeed." ( will be updated )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/newrepublic00mall/page/n9
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: OxeH3SBx

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (William Hurrell Mallock) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hurrell_Mallock

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Republic_(novel)
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 19
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1877
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: Historical Fiction; Satire

Keywords that describe the book: humor, oxford, oxford university, intellectual

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Book [number] Chapter [number] of The New Republic; or Culture, Faith and Philosophy in an English Country House. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The New Republic; or Culture, Faith and Philosophy in an English Country House, by William Hurrell Mallock. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Book [number] Chapter [number] of The New Republic by William Hurrell Mallock. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The New Republic; or Culture, Faith and Philosophy in an English Country House, by William Hurrell Mallock. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename newrepublic_##_mallock_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. newrepublic_01_mallock_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: William Hurrell Mallock
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: The New Republic; or Culture, Faith and Philosophy in an English Country House

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by Foon on October 26th, 2018, 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Hi Foon! I can MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Your MW is ready for you. We will wait here a day or so to see if we can pick up a DPL.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you!
This should be a fun read :)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Moving on to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Foon

Post by Foon »

I've uploaded the first chapter. :)

Readers needed:
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

I'd like to volunteer as DPL for this project.
Foon

Post by Foon »

That would be lovely, thank you! :)

Readers needed:
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

hdcn wrote: October 25th, 2018, 2:31 pm I'd like to volunteer as DPL for this project.

You have access to the MW now! Thank you so much!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Foon

Post by Foon »

Jeff, I just want to say, I'm happy with any kind of comments you have. I'd rather have more comments, more editing work, and a better recording, than doing little work while there's still room for improvement.

Of course you absolutely don't have to, since this is standard PL, but if you notice anything like mispronunciation, sloppy pronunciation, putting the emphasis in a sentence wrong, etc etc, I'd be happy to hear it. After all, that's the best way to improve. And in particular, I'd love to hear from what things you are able to tell that English is not my native language. :)

Again, I DO NOT want to give you more work, absolutely not. But if there are things you notice and are doubting whether to bring it up or not, please do. :D

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

I've uploaded chapter 2. :)

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Ann, what is the max length a recording should be? Chapter 3 is a looooong one, and it looks like it'll be ~73 minutes long.

Edit: I see a lot mentioned around the forum that a recording shouldn't exceed 72 minutes so it can fit on an audio cd. But, the length of an audio cd is 74 minutes. So I'm not sure if 73 minutes is OK. Of course I could split it, but if possible, I'd like to keep 1 section for 1 chapter.

Readers needed:
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Foon wrote: October 26th, 2018, 8:54 am Ann, what is the max length a recording should be? Chapter 3 is a looooong one, and it looks like it'll be ~73 minutes long.

Edit: I see a lot mentioned around the forum that a recording shouldn't exceed 72 minutes so it can fit on an audio cd. But, the length of an audio cd is 74 minutes. So I'm not sure if 73 minutes is OK. Of course I could split it, but if possible, I'd like to keep 1 section for 1 chapter.

I have seen that the max for an audio CD is 79 minutes, but if you are around 73 minutes, I think you should be fine.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thanks Ann!

Chapter 3 is uploaded :)

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Chapter 4 is uploaded too. :)

Readers needed: