[COMPLETE] The Art of War by Niccolo Machiavelli - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

The Art of War by Niccolo Machiavelli (1649 - 1527). Translated by Henry Neville (1620 - 1694)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-art-of-war-neville-translation-by-niccolo-machiavelli/

The Art of War (1521) is the only book published by Niccolo Machiavelli during his lifetime, and he saw it as one of his finest achievements. The Art of War develops many themes introduced in Machiavelli’s earlier works “The Prince” and “Discourses” and presents them as the collected wisdom of a fictional leader Lord Fabrizio Colonna. The book is constructed as a series of dialogues supposedly held during a summer afternoon spent in the Orti Oricellari gardens in Florence.

The stated aim is “To honor and reward virtu, not to have contempt for poverty, to esteem the modes and orders of military discipline, to constrain citizens to love one another, to live without factions, to esteem less the private than the public good, and other such things which could easily be added in these times.” As in “The Prince” Machiavelli develops the idea of limited warfare, where force is used as an extension of politics, but now also introduces elements of psychological warfare. In the first part of the book Machiavelli strongly warns that any state establishing a standing army must take special measures are taken to prevent military leaders gaining too much control. If the state ignores this it risks a military coup: something we still see today.

The Art of War was a standard text on military tactics for three hundred years, only losing favour when developments in the range and accuracy of firearms made the Linear Tactics it described obsolete.

This translation by Henry Neville was published in 1675 when The Art of War was still considered a practical military manual.
( Clive Catterall)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://oll.libertyfund.org/titles/machiavelli-the-art-of-war-neville-trans
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Art of War. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Art of War, by Niccolo Machiavelli. Translated by Henry Neville. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Art of War by Niccolo Machiavelli. Translated by Henry Neville. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Art of War, by Niccolo Machiavelli. Translated by Henry Neville."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename artofwar_##_machiavelli_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. artofwar_01_machiavelli_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by CliveCatterall on October 24th, 2018, 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll MC. Be back in a bit with the MW.

Do you have a DPL lined up, or will you need one?
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

Thanks Tricia

I have no DPL lined up at the mo'. Volunteers from DPLs who like Non Fic, political/military philosophy etc would be welcome...

As with my other projects this will be relatively slow (about 1 section every 2 weeks or so). Hence the 1 year completion date.

Thanks
Clive
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved to Going Solo.

When you have a section or two up, we will advertise for a DPL. :)
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

OK, no rush.
I've uploaded the preface, but we'll probably get more interest if I write a summary and get section 1 up. I'll get around to that in the next week or so.

Clive
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

Still here on this. I'm having to reorganise the way I record. I never seem to get a free day any more, so I'll have to record in the evenings in little chunks and edit them together. This will only work if I can leave the microphone set up ready to go etc. so I have to work out how to do this and have the sound always the same.

I expect this is the way many people do this.

Clive
NobelActual

Post by NobelActual »

Hi my name is Michael. I noticed that you didn’t have a DPL or Pl’s. I would like to help you with your project. LibriVox ID NobelActual.
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

You would be very welcome to DPL or PL as much or as little as you like! As you can tell from the postings I'm not adopting a very ahem heavy production schedule. I hope to get things moving a little quicker now, but even with improvements things won't be too hard to keep up with. :)

I notice you are quite new to LV - how much do you know about the PL process? I think there are some good resources on the wiki to look through. I doubt I'll be posting the first part of book 1 before the end of next week, so you should have time to pick up how it works!

Clive
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hi, Michael!

Feel free to dig in! Information on what to listen for is here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Guide_for_Proof-listeners
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

Section 01 uploaded and ready for PL

Clive
linny

Post by linny »

Clive,
Wow! You have a great reading style for this text. Preface and book one, part one are both PL OK.

I can't DPL but I'll certainly keep an eye out for more sections to PL until a DPL comes along.

Note to PLer (if following text): Book one, part two begins: COSIMO: If we first desired to hear your discussion of these matters, truly what you have said up to now redoubles that desire. We thank you, therefore, for what we have had and ask you for the rest.
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

Thanks linny.

Here is the second half of book 2. I’ve been sitting on it for a few days, as I’m going to write a decent summary to get PLers interested. But it makes no sense not to upload it. I’ll try and write the summary today.

Hopefully that will encourage a DPLer (it makes sense to let people know what is in the book)

Clive
linny

Post by linny »

A good description should help. As long as the ~ in the in the subject line you shouldn't have too many problems getting things PLed. I wouldn't hold up recording or uploading because you don't have a DPL. Everything around here eventually gets done. :D
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

First go at the description uploaded.
Clive
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Hi Clive,

I'll be happy to DPL this project, if you'd like. :)

Don
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World