Author Name in catalog but no works?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I was looking through older posts on the Suggestions board and found one for a book by Octave Thanet, pen name of Alice French. She is in the Librivox catalog under both names but no works, either in progress or completed. I was curious how that would happen. An abandoned project maybe? Or something recorded and removed for whatever reason?

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've seen this a lot, and I don't understand it myself.

I think some of them are for projects that were set up but were deleted (if a project is abandoned with no recordings, we'll recycle the project's database entry). But that can't account for the number of authors without any projects. *shrug*
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

This can mean two things:

Either a project was started and abandoned or deleted before completion.

Or, there is a piece by her in a current collection that has not been catalogued yet. Collections that are in progress are not searchable in the database, so while the author is already present in the database (if the MC is doing her job, meaning: other than me... :oops: ) the section will only show up on cataloging.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

I did some snooping. There are at least two stories by her.

I was able to make one show up in search by making a slight change. Most of the rest in this series were cataloged with the authors searchable, so I took the liberty of changing it to the same format: https://librivox.org/the-wit-and-humor-of-america-volume-6-by-various/ (It is #10)

The other story, the authors are not entered, but I found it by searching the forum with the name. It is section 8 in this book, if you care to listen: https://librivox.org/different-girls-by-elizabeth-jordan/
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

I've noticed that you can find an IP book on the catalogue by browsing, but I didn't realize that you couldn't find it by searching. Is there a specific reason for this?
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Because you are Browsing the catalogue
And searching the database. :D

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

JayKitty76 wrote: ↑December 13th, 2018, 2:58 pm I've noticed that you can find an IP book on the catalogue by browsing, but I didn't realize that you couldn't find it by searching. Is there a specific reason for this?
When I search on "huckleberry finn", I find your in progress group project. Do you not have the same experience?

Or did you mean this the opposite - you can find an in-progress work by searching, but they aren't there when browsing? :hmm:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I assumed she had it the wrong way round so worded my answer that way - I apologise if my assumption was wrong :hmm:

Anne
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Of course, it could simply be a cri de coeur from the souls of as-yet-unrecorded PD authors condemned to wander the endless corridors of the Librivox catalogue until such time as someone records them.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You think we should mount a rescue effort ? We could have an "adopt an unrecorded author" campaign, we'd need a good slogan
"Out of voice, out of Mind"
Save our words" ...
"Please read me.."
All not good enough

Anne
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

annise wrote: ↑December 13th, 2018, 7:38 pm we'd need a good slogan

Anne
How about β€œIt’s either this, or an exorcism”.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

TriciaG wrote: ↑December 13th, 2018, 5:51 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: ↑December 13th, 2018, 2:58 pm I've noticed that you can find an IP book on the catalogue by browsing, but I didn't realize that you couldn't find it by searching. Is there a specific reason for this?
When I search on "huckleberry finn", I find your in progress group project. Do you not have the same experience?

Or did you mean this the opposite - you can find an in-progress work by searching, but they aren't there when browsing? :hmm:
Hmm. Odd. No, I think I meant exactly what I worded it as...but now I’m sort of confused :hmm: Sometimes I can’t find an IP project by searching, which is weird...
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Sometimes the database is not filled in perfectly until cataloging, which is (one reason/ how id explain away) why you might not find in progress works sometimes. The title should always be there but authors and other details arent always entered perfectly from the start :)

So you should always be able to find in progress works when searching the catalog by title, but not always with other details.
Carolin
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Also, I think there's a lag in the catalog database/search. I can't remember how long, but it may take... a couple hours? 6 hours?... for a new project to show up in search results.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Oh, that may be my problem. I think I had just begun a new project and then for some reason looked it up in the catalog...??
Anyway. Thanks, all of you, for your help :thumbs: