Greetings from Stockwell, London

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Kalou

Post by Kalou »

Hello all,

I wanted to write and introduce myself. I'm Sam, an audio producer and musician. I enjoy documenting feelings, thoughts, and actions, my own and those of others.

I discovered Librivox when I went to an event at the Internet Archive and was really taken by the idea, and how it can benefit people. I want to contribute to that. Plus, I think it's a positive way to help get me reading books again and gain more recording experience.

I will record that demo very soon and look forward to finding out how I can contribute to Librivox.

Sam
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Sam, welcome to the forum. I see you have already posted your test, so that's a good way to start :thumbs: Tovarisch gave you some feedback on it (it needs a bit of technical adjustment still ;) )

I saw the Internet Archive event on youtube, it was a great publicity for LV :9: Glad you found your way here like that.

Have fun with your first recordings. And since you're a musician, you may have volunteered at a great timing, since we will probably start some Christmas carol project soon. :D I think there is a Silent Night project already launched somewhere here.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kalou

Post by Kalou »

Hello Sonia,

Thanks for you message and welcome! I will check out the feedback on the test (thought I would get a notification on additions to that thread but must not have clicked for it).

Yes, the presentation at the IA event really sold it to me and my friend who also works in radio and she plans to follow in my footsteps and join.

Christmas Carol project sounds fun, it all does really but first to figure out my audio!

Sam
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kalou wrote: October 24th, 2018, 6:50 am I will check out the feedback on the test (thought I would get a notification on additions to that thread but must not have clicked for it).
I think you can automatically set it somewhere in your profile. Get email notification on threads you're subscribed to. Quite handy, you don't have to check in every hour but get notified when there is a reply. I have that for all my projects.

Welcome to your friend too then !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah good news, the Christmas Carol project has been launched:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=72258

Sonia
Kalou

Post by Kalou »

Welcome to your friend too then !
Yes indeed, in fact I'm going to give her a nudge now

Just waiting for my test to be verified now. The Christmas Carol project sounds like a solid one to start with. Is it just a case of writing in the thread that I'm interested in contributing?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kalou wrote: October 26th, 2018, 8:00 amThe Christmas Carol project sounds like a solid one to start with. Is it just a case of writing in the thread that I'm interested in contributing?
yes indeed. In this particular project you can choose the song you want to to. In the second post I think they have lots of suggestions, if you don't know what to do. And specifically, you need to have a PD source, we cannot break any copyrights. For texts that is usually the rule it has to be published before 1923, I think the same is for notes. So better check and copy the link to the text source you want to use, so the BC can check if it's acceptable, before you record anything ;)

In other projects, check out the Magic Window in the first post, you'll see all the sections on offer, and you can choose those that are still OPEN (in the last column). Then you make a claim in the thread "I want to claim section 12" for example. And then it's usually reserved for you. Deadline most often two months, but depending on BC and project, this can be extended if needed.

When you do your first claim, the BC will also ask you by what reader name you want to go by. We have to open your own personal reader page, so you can choose a pseudonym or your real name there. For example, my forum name is Kitty, but my reader name is Sonia, which is my real name.

Sonia
Kalou

Post by Kalou »

Thanks for the detailed info Kitty. I think I understand. I need to spend some time perusing the forum I think to get a better sense of how things work. I'm not sure I'd be a great singer so would prefer to read a section of a book!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kalou wrote: October 30th, 2018, 8:26 amI'm not sure I'd be a great singer so would prefer to read a section of a book!
oh ok....I figured you were a singer, since you said you're a musician :oops: but I forgot a musician plays an instrument in the first place and not necessary sings.

well...I'll see you around. Have fun browsing. You'll be spoilt for choice.

Sonia