COMPLETE: Glimpses of Italian society in the eighteenth century by Hester Lynch Piozzi -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Glimpses of Italian society in the eighteenth century by Hester Lynch Piozzi (1741 - 1821).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/glimpses-of-italian-society-in-the-eighteenth-century-by-hester-lynch-piozzi/

Selections from the "Observations and reflections made in the course of a journey through France, Italy, and Germany" by Hester Lynch Piozzi who, during her first marriage to Henry Thrale, was the hostess and friend of many of her famous contemporaries including Dr Johnson and Fanny Burney. The vivid and personal "Observations and Reflections" was first published in 1789. ( barbara2)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/stream/glimpsesofitalia00piozuoft#page/n9
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography

Keywords that describe the book: Italy – society and customs, Italy - 18th century

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Glimpses of Italian society in the eighteenth century, from the “Journey” of Mrs Piozzi. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Glimpses of Italian society in the eighteenth century by Hester Lynch Piozzi. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Glimpses of Italian society in the eighteenth century by Hester Lynch Piozzi. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
      Say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Glimpses of Italian society in the eighteenth century by Hester Lynch Piozzi. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename italiansociety_##_piozzi_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. italiansociety_01_piozzi_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags ID3 tags are now optional. They are added automatically during cataloging.
    Artist: Hester Lynch Piozzi
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Glimpses of Italian society in the eighteenth century

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Barbara,

I'll set this up for you. MW will be along shortly.

ETA: I've edited the book title a little in the intro and outro.
Jo
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Pamela Nagami reporting as DPL.

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: September 23rd, 2018, 10:36 am Hi Barbara,

I'll set this up for you. MW will be along shortly.

ETA: I've edited the book title a little in the intro and outro.
Thanks Jo. That looks neat.

Best,

Barbara
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

pnagami wrote: September 23rd, 2018, 2:24 pm Pamela Nagami reporting as DPL.

Pam
Great. But just don't stand to attention for too long. I may be a while starting.

Best,

Barbara
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Hi Pam, Section 1

Turin and Genoa:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/italiansociety_01_piozzi_128kb.mp3
M:S
27:55

Best

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Great Barbara,

I will listen to this today.

Buon viaggio!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

pnagami wrote: October 14th, 2018, 5:07 am Great Barbara,

I will listen to this today.

Buon viaggio!

Pam
No, no, don't waste your time. I just listened to it again myself and confirmed my impression that there was something wrong with the mic. I will record it again with another mic.

Sigh,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

OK, Barbara.
I hope your trouble resolves soon.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Here is my second shot at Section 1:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/italiansociety_01_piozzi_128.mp3
M:S
28:46

This time, Audacity crashed every few minutes. I don't know why. Something I said?

Jo: This is the true file for italiansociety_01_piozzi_128.mp3. The sound in the previous file had been corrupted.

Best,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Barbara,

I will listen to this today. I am sorry you are having Audacity problems. I was having a lot of crashes and I uploaded the latest version, which seemed to help, though I still have more crashes than I used to. I have taken to deleting the big audacity project folders once my mp3 gets PL'd.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Barbara,

Section 1 is PL OK.

This is marvelous! Travel writing at its best!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Best to shut down other programs while using Audacity. I recommend exporting to flac or wav as a backup until your mp3 is marked PLOK, and not saving the audacity files at all. Both are lossless formats. I use wav files for work in progress, but flac files are smaller if you are short on space. Both are way smaller and far less complicated than the way audacity saves its files. Unless you are saving multiple tracks, such as music and vocals for example, to merge inti single track at a later time, there is no advantage to saving as audacity files.
Jo
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thanks, Jo!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Yes, thanks Jo. Very helpful indeed. I had no idea.

Best,

Barbara