DPL time limit guideline

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
msfry

Post by msfry »

Each project tells readers that they have 2 months to complete claimed sections, or their section might be opened up to other readers. Is there a similar guideline for the DPL to PL completed sections, and is this printed anywhere?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Not that I know of. I just presume the BC will keep watch on things that are waiting what seems like too long and contact the DPL. I don't like things to lag in the PL area because people are waiting, and have been known to nudge people after just 3 or four days.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I agree - there's no official, written limit. But since we're reader-focused, PL's should try to get sections done as soon as they can.

If a project is held up from cataloging because of a lagging DPL, there should be no shame in having someone else PL also (even if the DPL stays in the MW as DPL), or if they're really gone, reassigning the DPL role.

My personal view is that the DPL is a "servant" type of role, and are there for the reader's benefit, not the other way around. If a DPL can't get their job done in a timely manner, they can listen to it when it's cataloged. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Along these lines, it would be helpful to BCs to have a guide line regarding time limits. As a BC, I want to be respectful both of the fact that my DPL is a volunteer, as well as that my readers would like timely feedback, particularly the new ones. It feels a bit like a tightrope walk sometimes, trying to determine how long is too long to wait, and still to be understanding of real life commitments for my DPL.
msfry

Post by msfry »

People generally like to please, and appreciate guidelines to help them set realistic expectations. Without them, pretty much anything goes and no one is to blame.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

But then, setting a time limit for a DPL could be seen as a solid rule rather than a general guideline, and we don't want that because situations are different. What would be a reasonable time limit? It depends on the length of the files, whether they're from newbies, if the soloist is working fast or slowly, how close the project is to completion... So no, I don't think we should set expectations into a policy.
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Situations do vary widely, as Tricia said, and I think the common sense of the Book Coordinator should come into play. The BC is the coordinator of the project and has a lot of authority in this area. If there is a question, the MC can be asked of course for an opinion but the main responsibility of keeping the project moving and fair to everyone falls on the BC.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

And if all else fails, I'm sure the DPL won't mind if the BC listens to that one newbie file that has been hanging in the air for 2 weeks already... :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
msfry

Post by msfry »

philchenevert wrote: October 11th, 2018, 4:01 pm Situations do vary widely, as Tricia said, and I think the common sense of the Book Coordinator should come into play. The BC is the coordinator of the project and has a lot of authority in this area. If there is a question, the MC can be asked of course for an opinion but the main responsibility of keeping the project moving and fair to everyone falls on the BC.
That sounds like a reasonable guideline to me, far better than no guideline at all. Why not say something like that in the DPL Wiki? Trust me, if you aren't an MC, and/or haven't been around forever, it isn't obvious to either BC or DPL what the expectation is. A guideline would relieve some pressure (be a blessing) for everyone. We all know, it is way to easy to sign up for projects you end up not being able to carry, and yet no one wants to call anyone down for dropping a ball. A little backup would be nothing but helpful.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just a comment - there is no timeline on a soloist to submit a section so I assume you are talking about group projects.
Librivox operates on reasonableness, not on a set of rules, although some people like to have rules for everything.
When a PLer signs on for a project, they have no idea whether they will have 1 section uploaded every hour, every day or every year so they have no control over their workload and if every DPL only signed on for one project we would have a great need for DPLs.
So using the reasonable approach
It's reasonable for the pler to let BC's know if they are going to be offline for an extended period
It's reasonable for readers not to expect to have their files PLed in 24 hours
It's reasonable for a BC to look at a newbies file to see that all the tech bits are right as soon as possible
It's reasonable if the PLer is taking longer than they usually do, to PM them and ask have they noticed the file, then act according to the answer.
Let's make October "reasonableness month" not "make rules month"

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I realise on re-reading my post above that one person's reasonableness is not the same as anyone else's so maybe I should have added that before acting you need to consider if what you consider reasonable would be considered reasonable by the other person. We are all working to a common aim, to record books. And we all can't do that all by ourselves, so we all need to have a friendly cooperative "workplace" even if that means things are not done exactly the way we know would be better :D

Anne
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Lomond, who seems to be in a constant pit battle with life to be in control of his own timetable, makes the following tentative pledge:

3 days - hopefully
4 days - should be
5 days - maximum

If the aforementioned battle is not going well, Lomond will let the BC and reader know.

This all starts tomorrow after I get caught up. :-)

Thanks for everyone's patience.

Lomond
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

annise wrote: October 11th, 2018, 5:35 pm When a PLer signs on for a project, they have no idea whether they will have 1 section uploaded every hour, every day or every year so they have no control over their workload
This is of course an excellent point. I am DPL for one project which I think hasn't had a single submitted section for over a year. And then when I'm least expecting it, four or five sections may come in at once somewhere else.

I suppose my only aim in chiming in is to see what is considered reasonable to others. But then, as has also been pointed out, that could vary greatly depending on the nature of the project.

Thank you, everyone, for your input! :D
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

lomond wrote: October 11th, 2018, 9:27 pm Greetings -

Lomond, who seems to be in a constant pit battle with life to be in control of his own timetable, makes the following tentative pledge:

3 days - hopefully
4 days - should be
5 days - maximum

If the aforementioned battle is not going well, Lomond will let the BC and reader know.

This all starts tomorrow after I get caught up. :-)

Thanks for everyone's patience.

Lomond
I agree. As a DPL, I try to get to the prooflistening as quickly as possible so I don't leave people waiting for me in order to continue with the project. This can be tricky, as I juggle several different recordings at once (although from now on I'm going to limit my projects- which is hard, because it's so enjoyable!) so a usual schedule for me would work like,
-Listen to one recording (or part of one, thirty minutes max)
-Record a section (or part of one, thirty minutes max)

But if I have a bunch of files waiting to be checked over (and the recording situation isn't too immediate) then I try to get as many of those as possible listened to. If I have any more free time left over I can record, but not before.
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
msfry

Post by msfry »

We see that situations and opinions vary widely. One BC says he nudges his DPL after 4 days, other admins don't think guidelines can or should be set. My opinion is that keeping the reader pumped and primed is a top priority.

Let me relate my own experience:
As a soloist, I've always had my DPL right with me. I submit a file, I know they are there, looking forward to it, eagerly listening. I let them know I want crits/comments, and am happiest if they get on board, provide feedback, help me sound my best. A 4 day turnaround is unusual and if they are going to be gone awhile, they have always let me know. It's exciting to "partner up" in this way. Otherwise, recording solos can be very lonely.

On a group project, I don't know how other readers sound, or if the project will be a dud (I don't peruse the whole book first), but I give my sections my best effort. The DPL is the only person I know for sure WILL EVER LISTEN to my recording, so in a way I read it to and for them. I usually keep no more than 3 or 4 projects in the fire at once. I don't dare over-commit. Waiting 2 weeks for a response is a long time. 3 weeks seems like an eternity. By then I've lost touch with what I had read. My enthusiasm for the project has waned. I'm itching to get on to other things. A vigilant BC should not let that happen, but lacking guielines, we might fear taking any sort of affirmative action.

Thus my request for guidelines. Not rules. Guidelines. Of course situations vary, but I suspect 80% of our projects fit the general pattern, and from thence we extract reasonable guidelines. Not unbreakable rules. The other 20% can be dealt with as exceptions.

LV tells our readers not to take on more sections than they can complete in 2 months, or to request an extension, which we empower the BC to extend or deny. I would likewise alert our DPL's to only take on duties they think they can keep up with, say within a week, and to notify the reader if they will be detained. That is reasonable, courteous, and not difficult. If other things come up, no shame in that. We say that. Just open the job up to someone else. If the DPL is not available or disappears, then the BC should feel free to PL files until the DPL gets back, or advertise for a temporary PL'er. Again reasonable, and courteous guidelines. To avoid discouraging readers, set realistic expectations.

No doubt about it in my experience, the DPL is a vital part of the team, performing an important service. They should PL proudly, and conscientiously -- and there is nothing wrong providing them with some timing guidelines.