2018 Christmas Carol Suggestion

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Is anyone thinking of doing the Carol Collection this year?

How about including one carol this year that would be a choral number, with lots of singers -- would there be interest in doing that?

edited to change date - annise
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Twinkle88 wrote: October 7th, 2018, 4:08 pm Is anyone thinking of doing the Carol Collection this year?
I've had my chance to BC the Christmas Carol Collection for the past two years, so I'd be happy to surrender the job to anyone else who wants to opportunity to take it on. But if nobody else volunteers by late October, I'm willing to have a go at it for one more year.
Twinkle88 wrote: October 7th, 2018, 4:08 pmHow about including one carol this year that would be a choral number, with lots of singers -- would there be interest in doing that?
Twinkle -- I like the idea of having a choral number! If you feel like organizing a choral number, I'd be happy to cheer you on. (And I'd be one of your chorus!) I've put together choral numbers before - (the LV Anniversary Songs) -- and have found that they are not really difficult to edit at all. The important thing is to have an accompaniment available for people to sing along with, so as to have everyone singing at the same tempo and in the same key.
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

commonsparrow3 wrote: October 7th, 2018, 7:40 pm
Twinkle88 wrote: October 7th, 2018, 4:08 pmHow about including one carol this year that would be a choral number, with lots of singers -- would there be interest in doing that?
Twinkle -- I like the idea of having a choral number! If you feel like organizing a choral number, I'd be happy to cheer you on. (And I'd be one of your chorus!) I've put together choral numbers before - (the LV Anniversary Songs) -- and have found that they are not really difficult to edit at all. The important thing is to have an accompaniment available for people to sing along with, so as to have everyone singing at the same tempo and in the same key.
Awesome! :D I think I'd like to do that! -- Organize a choral number, that is. I don't think I'd have time to BC an entire Carol Collection, though.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Ooh that sounds cool! What kind of songs exactly would you be doing? I couldn't BC it but I can maybe record a few. Is it going to be this year or next year (in 2019)? Thanks,
~JayKitty
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I think the first poster meant 2018 -we've had Christmas collections for a number of years - check the catalogue for the others. Same rules, music and words and your performance need to be PD and project rules as will be in the first post when the project is launched.

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

JayKitty76 wrote: October 9th, 2018, 2:37 pmWhat kind of songs exactly would you be doing?
Public domain ones. :P Previous collections are reader/singer selected songs. I would assume this would be, too.

(Anne posted while I was typing this.)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Sounds cool! Would it be a solo recording (as put into the catalogue) or edited in with other volunteers' voices?
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

:D Tricia,
As in the kind of Christmas carols you find in hymnals?
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Check out previous collections - there's a combination of secular and sacred.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Thank you, I will :D
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=68102&p=1410487&hilit=2017#p1410487 is the thread for last years collection if you'd like to look

Anne
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

JayKitty - and anyone else who is interested - Here's a link to all the previous Christmas Carol Collections in the LV catalog:

https://librivox.org/search?q=christmas%20carol%20collection&search_form=advanced

You'll find they contain a mix of both secular and religious songs, in a variety of languages. Most are solos, some are duets, and on a couple of occasions a larger group got involved in a carol. I don't think we've ever attempted a full chorus, so Twinkle's choral number will be something new!
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

commonsparrow3 wrote: October 9th, 2018, 6:10 pm JayKitty - and anyone else who is interested - Here's a link to all the previous Christmas Carol Collections in the LV catalog:

https://librivox.org/search?q=christmas%20carol%20collection&search_form=advanced

You'll find they contain a mix of both secular and religious songs, in a variety of languages. Most are solos, some are duets, and on a couple of occasions a larger group got involved in a carol. I don't think we've ever attempted a full chorus, so Twinkle's choral number will be something new!
Thank you both for this, I certainly will look into this :D :D Thanks again for your help!
~JayKitty76
annise wrote: October 9th, 2018, 3:58 pm viewtopic.php?f=16&t=68102&p=1410487&hilit=2017#p1410487 is the thread for last years collection if you'd like to look

Anne
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

I'm not sure who I'm asking here, but could I go ahead and start a thread for the group song? I'd like to get an early start if can, so I can hopefully draw in a TON of people for it! :lol:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Why not, but could I suggest you listen to the anniversary songs if you haven't done so before? I've never BCed one, just read the threads. And maybe ask someone like elizabby who has attempted chorus making, I think it's difficult to edit too many voices into the one bit, so your choice of Carol may be influenced by the way you see the voices working The anniversary ones have bits of different people following each other , I think Beth has only 3 voices for the Mikado chorus - so for a ton of people you might need a ton of words in the carol :D :D

Anne