[COMPLETE]World's Story 4: Greece and Rome - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: October 4th, 2018, 9:01 amSection 58 - Cicero painting
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_58_tappan_128kb.mp3
thank you for this section, Alan. Perfectly PL ok again. Aww, Catilina really sits quite alone in the corner on this picture. I wonder why they didn't arrest him on the spot if they were so sure of his guilt. :hmm:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RufusNight wrote: October 4th, 2018, 9:07 am Uploaded an amended version.
thank you, Nigel, everything perfectly correct. I just had a listen to it all once more and I'm so sorry, I noticed that I missed an error the first time around. :(

> at 0:26: the title of the section is actually "The Romans of the Early Republic and their ways", not "wars" as you said. The entire text doesn't mention any wars, (well only in one sentence), but it mostly deals with their day-to-day customs. Could you please re-record only the title and reupload one final time. (sorry for not having it caught earlier, extremely embarrassing :oops: )

Sonia
RufusNight

Post by RufusNight »

Kitty wrote: October 5th, 2018, 12:02 am
thank you, Nigel, everything perfectly correct. I just had a listen to it all once more and I'm so sorry, I noticed that I missed an error the first time around. :(

> at 0:26: the title of the section is actually "The Romans of the Early Republic and their ways", not "wars" as you said. The entire text doesn't mention any wars, (well only in one sentence), but it mostly deals with their day-to-day customs. Could you please re-record only the title and reupload one final time. (sorry for not having it caught earlier, extremely embarrassing :oops: )

Sonia
Well it turned out to be a good thing you had a re-listen then! Glad we caught that - hopefully-final version now uploaded.

Nigel
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RufusNight wrote: October 5th, 2018, 1:34 amWell it turned out to be a good thing you had a re-listen then! Glad we caught that - hopefully-final version now uploaded.
yes indeed, now PL ok. Phew...sorry again for the extra trouble. And thanks for the quick turn-around.

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Section 59 - Crossing the Rubicon

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_59_tappan_128kb.mp3

I have not included the footnote as I could not decide where to put it.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: October 6th, 2018, 8:23 am Section 59 - Crossing the Rubicon
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_59_tappan_128kb.mp3
I have not included the footnote as I could not decide where to put it.
ah, Alea iacta est - when I read the title I immediately expected this saying to pop up at some point, and I was right :mrgreen: Interesting to read about the conflicting doubts Caesar had that night, before he made that fateful decision to cross.

excellent reading, Alan. And as for the footnote, this is only a textual reference, and I think we can leave that one out. Some of the readers have included it right after the title, but it's not necessary. Explanations in the text would be more important, but you had none of those.

The only thing I found a bit long was the silence between the disclaimer and the text proper. 3 seconds seem long to a listener. But as there are no other errors, it's ok, I'll mark it PL ok. :)

Thanks for yet another great section.

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

May I have 82? Jim :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: October 7th, 2018, 7:10 am May I have 82? Jim :)
you may :) thank you, Jim

Sonia
rpotenza

Post by rpotenza »

Uploaded 28
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory4_volume04_28_tappan_128kb.mp3
8:47 and 8.4K

My thanks to Branden David Kosch's August 2017 doctoral dissertation "Reading Demosthenes" which I used as my study guide. It was a huge help for me to understand the "Second Olynthiac".

All the best for completion of World's Story 4: Greece and Rome.

Rick Potenza
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

rpotenza wrote: October 7th, 2018, 1:40 pmUploaded 28
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory4_volume04_28_tappan_128kb.mp3
8:47 and 8.4K
My thanks to Branden David Kosch's August 2017 doctoral dissertation "Reading Demosthenes" which I used as my study guide. It was a huge help for me to understand the "Second Olynthiac".
All the best for completion of World's Story 4: Greece and Rome.
Rick Potenza
thank you, Rick. I will listen to this tomorrow morning, it's a bit late here now and I'm tired.

Wow, sounds like you did some background research. Now I'm really curious what this text is all about. Will give you feedback tomorrow !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

rpotenza wrote: October 7th, 2018, 1:40 pmMy thanks to Branden David Kosch's August 2017 doctoral dissertation "Reading Demosthenes" which I used as my study guide. It was a huge help for me to understand the "Second Olynthiac".
I just had a listen to this and first of all: WOW :shock: I really felt like I was listening to one of the old orators giving his harangue in the forum. Not only the sound quality, which differed from the editor's notes, but your diction and expressiveness gave this effect. It was a wonderful section to listen to and although it was a very difficult text, you mastered it brilliantly. :thumbs:

That said, I fear you handed in the unedited file, because I found quite a few repeats and long pauses which still need to be edited out. Here are all my notes. The best thing is to start correcting from the last note and work your way up to the first, that way the time stamps will stay the same. ;)

A special note for the pauses in-between. It's wonderful not to rush through a text, especially if it such a great oration as this. But any break over 1.8 or even 2 seconds or more will feel quite long to a listener. I personally feel that 1.5 seconds is fully enough. So I mentioned all the places where to me at least the pause felt too long. Maybe you could cut down a bit on those.

It may look like a long list, but textually you were word perfect, so there is no need for any re-recording, it's just a matter of cutting out things. :)

> volume is over 93 dB, which is much too loud. We accept between 86 and 92 dB. Please decrease volume by -3 dB.

> at the beginning you have over 1 second silence, usually 0.5-1 second maximum is enough (optional for this time though, just mentioning it for completeness sake

> from 1:33 till 1:47: here is a lengthy break of 14 seconds which is really too much. Listeners will think the recording broke off ;) Could you please reduce this down to 1 or 1.5 seconds, which is fully enough ?

> at 2:52-2:54 – before “now let your interest direct you” - long pause

> at 3:00-3:02 – before “what season” - long pause

> at 3:09: (p. 186) repetition of “or when will you exert your vigour” – can be cut out once

> at 4:05-4:07: before “yes I know full well” – long pause

> at 4:59-5:03: (p. 186) stumble and repeat “does not – does another offer some more salutary counsel” – can be cut out once

> at 5:41: (p. 187) stumble and repeat “so that / to that” – can be cut out

> at 5:46-5:49: before “The orater contrasts” - long pause

> at 6:00-6:03: before “but if you will at lengh” - long pause

> at 6:58-7:02: (p. 187) stumble and repeat “what then, is it your opinion” – can be cut out once

> at 7:22-7:24: before “is it in his power” - long pause

> at 8:54-9:02: (p. 188) stumble and repeat “listening to the exploits of some general’s foreign troops” – can be cut out

> from 9:50-10:02: 12 seconds between final sentence and end disclaimer, also 1.5-2 seconds is fully enough

> at 10:07: at the end of your recording please leave only the standard 5 seconds of silence, you have over 11 seconds here

that's all.

Thank your for this great oration experience. It was really something.

Sonia
rpotenza

Post by rpotenza »

Thank you so much for your kind list of corrections. I am very dismayed at my having sent the unedited file. I am striving to learn the proper process of editing and submitting an entry. This is my second LibriVox recording and I very much appreciate your patience.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_71_tappan_128kb.mp3 time 17:13
Hello Sonia,
Please do let me know if there are corrections of mispronoucounced words in this one that I should take care of. What is the text here, Greek?
Thank you,
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_87_tappan_128kb.mp3 time 10:38
Sonia,
There may be a few "clicks" that I did not erase. Heard though did not see them which is why they might be heard be you.
Let me know please and I will make them disappear.
There was also a symbol that I do not know how to pronounce so I said "something".
I will be happy to fix this as well if you can tell me just how to pronounce that symbol. :)
April
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

adr6090 wrote: October 8th, 2018, 11:46 am https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_87_tappan_128kb.mp3 time 10:38
Sonia,
There may be a few "clicks" that I did not erase. Heard though did not see them which is why they might be heard be you.
Let me know please and I will make them disappear.
There was also a symbol that I do not know how to pronounce so I said "something".
I will be happy to fix this as well if you can tell me just how to pronounce that symbol. :)
I hope you don't mind my butting in here and answering for you, Sonia. I was curious to see the symbol she meant, so I went to take a look. It is a Chi Rho. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi_Rho Pronunced "ki" (to rhyme with pie) "row" (as in row your boat).