[Complete] State of the Union Addresses 1857-1860 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

lol, yes, you can almost see him roll his eyes on this one.

Spot check PL OK.
garybclayton

Post by garybclayton »

Section 2 is review for a spot review

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/stateoftheunion1857_1860_02_various_128kb.mp3

41.2 MB

45:01 minutes

No more "canvas" in the first 31 seconds, header and trailer adjusted
linny

Post by linny »

Gary,
Spot check PL OK! Thank you!

Next project will start when this one is at least 50% complete. I hope to see you there.
garybclayton

Post by garybclayton »

Thank you, linny, it is a privilege to work with you and other members of the librivox team. You are doing a good job of keeping me honest! I'm new at this but I don't like hearing I've made an error - because that means I missed finding it when doing my review.

Seriously, I am enjoying this - even though I'm experiencing a 4:1 or even 5:1 ratio between the effort and the finished section. I am learning a bit of US history AND I am sharpening my ability to prep, record and edit extended manuscripts. It demands a lot more from me than just ripping through several takes of a 30 second commercial with a VO coach.

Wish I could devote more time to this but there is such a thing as the "work that pays the bills."

See you on the next volume. Now I'll tackle some PT Barnum and John Locke. I view each as needing a little different vocal approach, which is really good for me.

Gary
linny

Post by linny »

Gary,
Actually a 4:1, 5:1 is a pretty solid edit time. There are discussions on how to cut down the time and tips/tricks. We also have a video library I find particularly helpful in coming up with shortcuts. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos

This is a great place to practice and expand your range. I'm glad you found us.

See you in 1861-1868 (Lincoln and Johnson). :thumbs:
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/stateoftheunion1857_1860_04_various_128kb.mp3

[one hour, eleven minutes, eleven seconds, and seventy tenths of one second]
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
linny

Post by linny »

:shock: I knew it was going to be pushing 70 minutes. I'm sorry we couldn't have found a better break point for you. Maybe I should have broken it down into three sections.

The final time is cool though. That's a whole lot of ones. :wink:
linny

Post by linny »

Amazing job with section 4. I suppose I could have cut it again around 32:00. I'll need to keep a better eye on that moving forward. Thank you again for taking on this incredibly long section.

There are three sentences you may want to change. Please take a look and see if your word change impacted intent enough for a revistion.

24:06 – Unless this demand shall be complied with at an early day it will only remain for this Government to adopt such other measures as may be necessary in order to obtain for itself that justice which it has in vain attempted to secure by peaceful means from the Governments of Nicaragua and Costa Rica.
I hear Until

50:12 - Enlightened economy does not consist in the refusal to appropriate money for constitutional purposes essential to the defense, progress, and prosperity of the Republic, but in taking care that none of this money shall be wasted by mismanagement in its application to the objects designated by law.
I hear designed

1:00:41 – The peculiar geographical position of California and our Pacific possessions invites American capital and enterprise into this fruitful field.
I hear This
realisticspeakers

linny wrote: September 26th, 2018, 9:06 am There are three sentences you may want to change. Please take a look and see if your word change impacted intent enough for a revistion.
Thank you for doing that so fast.
If I was lazy I would say, meh! #2 should definitely change. I'll see what I can do :birthday:
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
realisticspeakers

linny wrote: September 26th, 2018, 9:06 am 24:06 – Unless this demand ...
I hear Until

50:12 - ... to the objects designated by law.
I hear designed

1:00:41 – The peculiar geographical position of California ...
I hear This
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/stateoftheunion1857_1860_04_various_128kb.mp3

all three repairs made...thank you!!!
Disclaimer:
linny

Post by linny »

All are spot check PL OK! Thank you! :clap:

I'm hoping to open Lincoln and Johnson next week. I hope to see you there!

I'm waiting on one last correction for Fillmore and then that project will be finished. It seems wrong to have more than two of these going at a time.
linny

Post by linny »

1861 - 1868 has launched!

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=72046
Moorjania08

Post by Moorjania08 »

linny

Post by linny »

Thank you for your work. You may have uploaded your unedited version. It's always a good idea to take a look/listen to the final piece prior to upload. Please let me know if you have questions about my notes.

Section 5 PL notes:
0:00 – there is a snap at the very beginning, likely caused by turning on the mic. Please delete.

1:11 – We have been exposed to many threatening and alarming difficulties in our progress, but on each successive occasion the impending cloud has been dissipated at the moment it appeared ready to burst upon our head, and the danger to our institutions has passed away. May we ever be under the divine guidance and protection.
I hear impeding

5:35 hand clap, repeat - On the contrary, I firmly believe that the events at Harpers Ferry, by causing the people to pause and reflect upon the possible peril to their cherished institutions, will be the means under Providence of allaying the existing excitement and preventing further outbreaks of a similar character.

8:22 Now emigrants from the North and the South, the East and the West, will meet in the Territories on a common platform, having brought with them that species of property best adapted, in their own opinion, to promote their welfare.
I hear beast

9:40 After a most careful and rigorous examination of our coasts and a thorough investigation of the subject, we have not been able to discover that any slaves have been imported into the United States except the cargo by the Wanderer, numbering between three and four hundred.
I hear costs

14:07 stumble - In that event any one State could have effectually continued the trade, not only for itself, but for all the other slave States, though never so much against their will.

14:34 - And even if all the States had separately passed laws prohibiting the importation of slaves, these laws would have failed of effect for want of a naval force to capture the slavers and to guard the coast.
I hear or

17:33 - The numerous victims required to supply it would convert the whole slave coast into a perfect pandemonium, for which this country would be held responsible in the eyes both of God and man.
I hear state

18:40 –stumble - Whilst we sustained a neutral position in the war waged by Great Britain and France against the Chinese Empire, our late minister, in obedience to his instructions, judiciously cooperated with the ministers of these powers in all peaceful measures to secure by treaty the just concessions demanded by the interests of foreign commerce.

20:16 - Hand clap, repeat - This was rendered impossible by reasons and events beyond his control, not necessary to detail; but still it is due to the Chinese authorities at Shanghai to state that they always assured him no advantage should be taken of the delay, and this pledge has been faithfully redeemed.

21:22 stumble - It is but simple justice to the Chinese authorities to observe that throughout the whole transaction they appear to have acted in good faith and in a friendly spirit toward the United States

22:32 hand clap repeat – This was not deemed necessary by the Chinese, who are already proceeding in good faith to satisfy the claims of our citizens and, it is hoped, to carry out the other provisions of the conventions.

23:13 - No doubt is entertained that they will be ratified and exchanged by the Chinese Government should this be thought advisable; but under the circumstances presented I shall consider them binding engagements from their date on both parties, and cause them to be published as such for the information and guidance of our merchants trading with the Chinese Empire.
I hear parts

33:49 - General Scott has recently returned from his mission, having successfully accomplished its objects, and there is no longer any good reason to apprehend a collision between the forces of the two countries during the pendency of the existing negotiations.
I hear mansion

35:13 – no need to repeat the section title. End of section 5 will be enough.
OwenCook

Post by OwenCook »

I hate to do this, but I'd like to resign my claims for this project. I'd meant to record before this, but I've had some unexpected events eat into my free time lately and I just don't see how I can have it done in time.... Many apologies.

~~Owen