COMPLETE: By What Authority? by Robert Hugh Benson - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

Technically correct would be “ready for spot PL” but no need to worry. Since it’s a solo we are fine either way. I can’t check them until tomorrow but I’ll let you know as soon as I can.

I hope you had a great visit. :D
linny

Post by linny »

I don’t know why section 18 is marked as needing PL. I don’t see a note that anything was wrong with it. Did you change something?

Sections 20, 22, 23, 28, and 40 are all spot check PL OK.
24 - volume low at 85.7dB. -
27:58 repeat - but any skillful advocate
Original section 24 PL notes still apply.
Section 31
0:42 - almost worshipped by the rejoicing townsfolk. Yet all through his voyage and adventures, at any rate since his interview with her at Rye,
There is an awkward 3 second pause between sentences.
Yet was replaced with Be it
Original section 31 PL notes corrected but now there is a lot of mic noise in the ending silence (24:45).
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Hello.
I took out the static on part 31, and I used replay gain to fix the volume in part 19. I don't know why I marked section 18 as needing PL. ??? My mistake.
Carol
linny

Post by linny »

18, 19, and 31 are all spot check PL OK.
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

I resubmitted section 16, 35, 35, and 41 (took out the worst of the sniffles, but decided I couldn't really take out all the parts where I was choking up when the hero died)

I'm having some problems with section 24; will see if I can fix it. My audacity file has voices doubled up on top of each other. Yikes!

Also, I wrote a summary but I can't remember how where and how to add it, something to do with the quotation marks?

Carol
linny

Post by linny »

16, 35, 36, and 41 are all spot check PL OK.

As for section 24, you can always download the version from here and correct that file instead of the one that's on your computer you are having difficulty with.

For the summary, you can edit your initial post (the edit tool looks like a pencil in the upper right of the post). Once you are in edit, you will see the title and then quote /quote (in brackets). The summary goes in between: quote Paste summary here /quote
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Or you can just post it in a thread post here, and I'll stick it in the database entry. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Okay, I took care of section 24 and put in the summary. If the summary is not in the correct place, I am pasting it here too so you can make sure it gets where it needs to go.
Many thanks
Carol

By What Authority

Two wealthy families are neighbors in Elizabethan England; one is staunchly Catholic and the other is devoutly Protestant. The attractive young scions of the families are drawn to each other in friendship and love, but are kept apart by their opposing religions. Life is very difficult for Catholics during those times. They are subject to fines, imprisonment, torture and ignominious death for practicing their faith. On the other hand, for various reasons some Catholics give up their inherited faith, and even betray and persecute their fellow-religionists. As the threads of plot are woven tighter, heroes emerge, sometimes most unexpectedly, as they grapple with theological doubts and conflicts, and undergo extreme suffering and loss. The many characters we meet ring true, whether they are brilliant or superstitious, stalwart or wavering, pious or violent; and it is a great privilege to spend time with such towering historical figures as St. Edmond Campion and Queen Elizabeth herself. Love, history, theology, suspense, and an array of colorful characters are sewn inexorably together in this large and compelling story.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Got it - thanks! And a very well-written one it is, too. :)
linny

Post by linny »

Section 24 is PL OK!

Congratulations on your solo! You did a wonderful job. :clap: :9:
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Thanks for all your help and encouragement. It feels good to be done.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I see this and will start cataloging. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 18 shows at Archive as 43:35. In the MW it's 44:02. Is Archive correct, or are we cataloging the wrong file?
linny

Post by linny »

Here is the correct file. https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/bywhatauthority_18_benson.mp3 44:02

The current one in the mw is for Part 2, Chapter 12 (section 24) which matches the timestamp. I don't know how it got overwritten. Great catch.
Last edited by linny on October 1st, 2018, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

...and that's why we check time stamps. ;)