Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

"The Hand" is now PL OK!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

SlickWiggler wrote: September 24th, 2018, 12:45 pm So, there's this one story that used to scare the hell out of me as a kid called Tailypo. I would looove to retell it for this collection, but I can't nail down a public domain text of it, Gutenberg isn't giving me anything and it's not on the linked archive. If I write my own version, is it OK if I record that? It's a really old folktale that my grandfather used to tell around the campfire (and he said he heard it from his father), I can't imagine it would be under copyright. Or if someone can help me find it in a public domain collection, that would be amazing.
Librivox hosts recordings of texts previously published and in the public domain, so a self-written story would not fit this description.
I wasn't able to find it in a public domain collection. The earliest I have found is in a 1944 folklore collection, which references a journal printed in 1934 and a quite different version of this story in "Uncle Remus Returns" (Chapter 3 https://librivox.org/uncle-remus-returns-by-joel-chandler-harris )
SlickWiggler

Post by SlickWiggler »

Rapunzelina wrote: September 26th, 2018, 12:05 am
SlickWiggler wrote: September 24th, 2018, 12:45 pm So, there's this one story that used to scare the hell out of me as a kid called Tailypo. I would looove to retell it for this collection, but I can't nail down a public domain text of it, Gutenberg isn't giving me anything and it's not on the linked archive. If I write my own version, is it OK if I record that? It's a really old folktale that my grandfather used to tell around the campfire (and he said he heard it from his father), I can't imagine it would be under copyright. Or if someone can help me find it in a public domain collection, that would be amazing.
Librivox hosts recordings of texts previously published and in the public domain, so a self-written story would not fit this description.
I wasn't able to find it in a public domain collection. The earliest I have found is in a 1944 folklore collection, which references a journal printed in 1934 and a quite different version of this story in "Uncle Remus Returns" (Chapter 3 https://librivox.org/uncle-remus-returns-by-joel-chandler-harris )
Darn. I figured that was the case, but just thought I'd ask. Guess I'll save it for when my baby brother is old enough to go camping... :twisted:
Please give me feedback! I'm always trying to improve!

Matt Bounds
Lvan

Post by Lvan »

annehaviland

Post by annehaviland »

Young Goodman Brown by Nathanial Hawthorne. I recorded it but am still editing. It will be under 30 minutes long. It's a devil/witchcraft story
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

A jug of Syrup is PL OK and very nicely read! :thumbs:

Just a note regarding the file-name, for future reference; we don't use capital letters in file-names.
Lvan

Post by Lvan »

Thanks! Great to get feedback - I'll remember about filenames. Just a small note: in the magic window, "syrup" in the title is spelled "sirup."
rafeball

Post by rafeball »

I've just recorded "The Derelict" by William Hope Hodgson - I've edited it (still need to adjust the levels etc.) but it's gone a bit long - about 1hr 13 and a half minutes. I see from previous collections that some stories have gone north of the 1hr mark - would this one be okay?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

It's acceptable if it fits on a cd. And I think there are 74 minutes cds! So I guess it's ok, or if not, our MC Bart will let us now.
Artglassgirl

Post by Artglassgirl »

Last edited by Artglassgirl on October 10th, 2018, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rafeball

Post by rafeball »

Rapunzelina wrote: October 10th, 2018, 12:32 pm It's acceptable if it fits on a cd. And I think there are 74 minutes cds! So I guess it's ok, or if not, our MC Bart will let us now.
Phew, in that case it just scrapes in! Thanks Rapunzelina :-)
Artglassgirl

Post by Artglassgirl »

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_artglassgirl.mp3
Also here is my test...i guess i got a little ahead of myself. Hope it sounds good😊
linny

Post by linny »

Artglassgirl wrote: October 10th, 2018, 5:34 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_artglassgirl.mp3
Also here is my test...i guess i got a little ahead of myself. Hope it sounds good😊
I'll post my comments here as well so there is no duplication of effort.
linny wrote: October 10th, 2018, 6:12 pm I'm so sorry, I'm not going to be able to spend much time reviewing your test. Please post in the Listeners Wanted forum: viewforum.php?f=21

When you post please let them know what software you are using. That way if you need to make changes, you are unsure of, they can help you.

All of your settings, other than volume, are fine so you are indeed on track. Your volume is too loud at 97.6dB. We aim for 89db with an acceptable range of 86-92dB. Do you see how a lot of your waves are flat at the top and bottom? This is called clipping and can lead to distortion. I recommend lowering your input volume or backing slightly away from the mic.

Here is your catalog page: https://librivox.org/reader/12840 :D
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

So, as far as I can tell , this story was published in 1923, thus not yet in the public domain in the US. But I'll be here if it turns out that it's OK to proof-listen. :)
bart
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by bart »

Indeed, I cannot find a reason to accept this Lovecraft story.
I'm sorry.
Bart
Alle Nederlandstalige projecten op de Librivox Boekenplank