[COMPLETE] Troilus and Cressida by William Shakespeare - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Kitty wrote: September 10th, 2018, 6:18 am and here is my Scene 2.3. assembled. What a mayhem before Achilles' tent :lol:

Craig, Brad, if one of you would like to PL against the text, please make a short note here, so the work won't be done double. I'm sure Tomas doesn't have time right now to PL. ;)

-

It sounds good to me. Although I did notice an error on my part. I had assumed there was only one way to pronounce "Patroclus" and as Thersites I did it that way, and didn't bother to check the pronunciation guide. My mistake, as everyone else it pronouncing it differently! lol However, it's Thersites, who is a tad insane anyway. When I was reading his lines, for example, I always pronounced "Ajax" in a sneering way, so maybe he deliberately mispronounces Patroclus name as well.

Brad
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

If I may go off-topic for a moment, all this editing has me wondering if I shouldn't attempt a play project of my own (besides my ongoing Dickens solo project). My second favorite playwright is George Bernard Shaw, and most of his plays still don't have LibriVox recordings yet. I'm thinking of taking one of his shorter plays, "The Dark Lady of the Sonnets" in which one of the characters is Shakespeare himself. There are four characters (two men and two women) plus I would need a narrator (Shaw's stage directions are pretty much long essays sometimes!). It's just one scene which I would edit myself. Would any of you be interested in doing that after we've finished Troilus and Cressida? Of course, I would need just one more female reader, unless Sonia wanted to take on both the Dark Lady and Queen Elizabeth. :)

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

It sounds good to me.
does that mean every quote is at the right spot and it's PL ok ?
Although I did notice an error on my part. I had assumed there was only one way to pronounce "Patroclus" and as Thersites I did it that way, and didn't bother to check the pronunciation guide. My mistake, as everyone else it pronouncing it differently! lol However, it's Thersites, who is a tad insane anyway. When I was reading his lines, for example, I always pronounced "Ajax" in a sneering way, so maybe he deliberately mispronounces Patroclus name as well.
I didn't even notice that :shock: yes I guess since it's Thersites we could let it drop ;) Unless you want to go back and re-record those sentences. Up to you, for me it's fine.
Would any of you be interested in doing that after we've finished Troilus and Cressida? Of course, I would need just one more female reader, unless Sonia wanted to take on both the Dark Lady and Queen Elizabeth. :)
I would be interested, unfortunately Shaw only died in 1950 and was Irish, so he's not PD for Craig and me. :( We have to wait for another 3 years if I'm not mistaken. 70 years dead he must be for us, so it would be ok in January 2021. Assuming his plays were published before 1923, but you probably checked that.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Yes, I did mean every line was in place. :)

As for Shaw, I didn't realize it was so complicated. There are already several Shaw plays in the LibriVox catalogue, so I figured it wouldn't be a problem.

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: September 10th, 2018, 9:06 pmAs for Shaw, I didn't realize it was so complicated. There are already several Shaw plays in the LibriVox catalogue, so I figured it wouldn't be a problem.
yes it's not a problem for American and Canadian readers. They have the Death +50 years rule. So for you it will be PD but not for us Europeans, who have Death +70. :( So all these Shaw plays we already have in our catalogue, they are probably done by readers from America or Canada (or any other country that has Death +50 or less).

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

In that case, I'm not sure I'll do it. I could look for all Canadian/U.S. readers, of course, I suppose, but part of me wanted to keep the team together for my first attempt. I like Ibsen and Chekov, but the works I'm familiar with are all full length plays, and I wanted to do something short for my first play project. Hmmm.
Well, I do have a major interest in the other playwrights of Shakespeare's time. I even have a blog on which I'm slowly getting the texts of all the plays of one of them online (which I've neglected lately--I really should get back to it!). Of course, none of those are short either.
Oh, well, I'll think about it. In the meantime, I'll concentrate on finishing Troilus and Cressida. Sorry for this interruption.

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: September 11th, 2018, 4:59 amIn that case, I'm not sure I'll do it. I could look for all Canadian/U.S. readers, of course, I suppose, but part of me wanted to keep the team together for my first attempt.
:9: well there's hope we will all still be here in 3 years ;)

Sonia
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Craigos wrote: September 11th, 2018, 8:39 am My corrections! :oops:
I keep getting that wrong as hard as I troj!
:lol: great pun ! Both roles now PL ok. You're getting there ;) Keep troying.

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: September 15th, 2018, 2:10 pm Here's the long scene, 1_3.
:shock: 25 minutes !!! ok this will have to wait till tomorrow, it's midnight here and I am not ready for a Trojan war now :lol:

thanks Brad, definitely big work !

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

It's only long because the Greek generals love to hear themselves talk. Especially Ulysses!

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: September 15th, 2018, 6:08 pm It's only long because the Greek generals love to hear themselves talk. Especially Ulysses!
:lol: so true. During his first speech I was thinking "get to the point, man" :mrgreen:

everything nicely assembled, no missing lines as far as I can tell. I only corrected one minor thing:

> at 4:03 and 4:09: [to Agamemnon] and [to Nestor]: I inserted a bit more space here, especially because Tomas is reading both parts. It needs a bit of distance from the actual speech

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/troilusandcressida_1_3.mp3
Recording time: 24:58 min.

I don't think anybody needs to Spot PL this, as I will listen to the whole scene one final time when the Act is fully assembled.

So I'll mark it PL ok.

Great job, Brad !

Thanks

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I am in the process of editing 3_1 and I discovered that there is a Pandarus line missing. It should be at about 3:59 in the Pandarus file for that scene.

The line is "What says my sweet queen?—My cousin will fall out with you."

I suspect it was easy to miss since his last line before this one also begins "What says my sweet queen?"

I will continue with the editing but I will leave a space for the missing speech.

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: September 17th, 2018, 6:20 pmI am in the process of editing 3_1 and I discovered that there is a Pandarus line missing. It should be at about 3:59 in the Pandarus file for that scene.
:oops: how embarrassing.

Craiiiiig !!!!!! You need to get back into Pandarus mode. :mrgreen:

Sonia