Audacity help needed

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
GillH

Post by GillH »

Can anyone help? My Audacity was working perfectly well until about 8 hours ago. When I came back to continue editing, I can open the files but when i try to play them I get an error message: "Error opening sound device. Try changing the audio host, recording device and the project sample rate." While that looks like it's giving me the solution to the problem, it isn't actually allowing me to do any of those things.
Should I update the version of Audacity? If I do so, will I lose any current projects?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved from the Languages Other than English forum to this one. :)

It means that your microphone isn't plugged in, or the speakers Audacity expects aren't plugged in. Try going to Transport/Reset Audio Devices. If that doesn't work, close Audacity, plug in everything you normally have plugged in, and restart Audacity.

No need to update, and you won't lose anything.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
GillH

Post by GillH »

Thanks, but I use neither speakers nor microphone normally. I have done Transport/Rescan Audio Devices, closed and re-opened Audacity, and even re-started my laptop, all to no avail. :-( Any other suggestions?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You don't use a microphone?

I assume that means you use an internal mic. :)

Suggestion set #2 - work through the Audacity suggestions for this error message. Here is a link: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/error_opening_sound_device.html

I hope you figure this out!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
GillH

Post by GillH »

Thanks. All the drop down menus were blank, so I couldn't change the settings. After some fiddling, everything seems to have sorted itself. Thanks!
shevaunhodge

Post by shevaunhodge »

Hi,I recently claimed a poem. It was from the poetry The haunted hour-mas 2. The night Atween the sancts an' souls part one. Someone replied and wrote my name next to this section (it was written in black typing). They said that I should send my 1minute test in. I have now recorded it and posted a reply to say I had done it. I now cant see my name written next the section at all. I also cant see any of my replies on the thread. I also am confused about audacity. I am saving my 1 minute test as an mp3 file, as it says to do, but everytime I close down audacity, its saying that I haven't saved the file and wants me to save it in a different format. Thanks shevaun
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Shevaun,

It is better to separate flies from hamburgers.

If you have a problem related to a specific project, post in that project's thread. The BC (or MC) for that project is who maintains the Magic Window (where your name is supposed to be written for the section 2)...

Audacity exports an MP3 and saves an .AUP (Audacity Project) file. It is recommended that you do both until your MP3 is accepted as PL OK. After that you can either keep your Audacity project, or throw it out, or export it (like some members here do) in a lossless form, like FLAC, and keep that around instead (in case of MP3 loss, which you can re-export again).
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please