[COMPLETE][Solo]The Wild Irishman by: T.W.H. Crosland - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
GypsySon

Post by GypsySon »

The Wild Irishman by Thomas William Hodgson (T.W.H.) Crosland (1865 - 1924).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/wild-irishman-by-twh-crosland/
History and customs of the Irish and Ireland. A word of warning to the listener : The Wild Irishman contains the biased, uncomplementary opinions of Englishman, Thomas Crosland. Remember this was written in the late 1800's and published in 1905. Crosland was hyper critical of Irishmen and women at a time when American cities often posted signs," No Irish Need Apply." If you are Irish, as am I, try to not be overly offended or simply walk away. (johnb2)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/57838
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Wild Irishman. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Wild Irishman, by Thomas William Hodgson (T.W.H.) Crosland. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Wild Irishman by Thomas William Hodgson (T.W.H.) Crosland. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Wild Irishman, by Thomas William Hodgson (T.W.H.) Crosland. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename wildirishman_##_crosland_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. wildirishman_01_crosland_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I notice you've only read a poem and have 5 sections claimed and unsubmitted in another project - it might be a good idea to do them before embarking on this - you'll have a much better idea of how things work , and a BC to help you with any problems.

Anne
GypsySon

Post by GypsySon »

5 poems and 2 short stories have all been PL OK for me. Ive got a good handle on how this works, but i am more than happy to submit a few more.
https://librivox.org/reader/12718?primary_key=12718&search_category=reader&search_page=1&search_form=get_results

At the very least, i would like to reserve this book if possible, until i have proven my grit.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Ok - I missed the second page of your posts and the only links showing were to 3 poems. I stopped when I reached the test. So yes I was wrong

Anne
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Thomas

I am willing to MC this and help you in your first Solo efforts. :) It sounds like an interesting project, and most of the sections are quite short. I'll be ready with a Magic Window soon, and then you can start by filling it in with the chapter titles.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, MW is set up. As you can see, I already filled out the first three sections, you can do the rest to familiarize yourself with how it all works. You can also choose if you like to have "Chapter" inside the section title, it's as you wish. If you prefer shorter titles, then just edit out what I wrote.

To log into the MW click on the "BC Admin" link underneath the MW. It may not let you log in with your current password, if so, simply click on "forgot password" and you'll get a new one via email. Then you should be able to access it and change things. So as BC of a solo you are in charge of updating the MW yourself. When you have sections uploaded, simply copy/paste the link in the "Listen URL" column, maybe write the length in the "Notes" column and change the Status to "Ready for PL". That's all.

If you still have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

I suppose you don't have a DPL yet ? Then we'll mark the title with a tilde ~ to attract potential DPLers. :)

Good luck with your first Solo. Are you Irish by any chance ? If so, you'll have no problems with the difficult pronunciations that may creep up along the way. :mrgreen:

Sonia
terrybenn

Post by terrybenn »

A little bird (or was that a cat? :lol: ) told me you might need a DPL here. I've had good luck with first time solos so I'd like to come along on this journey, if I might? You've done sections so you know how my part of this goes. The only difference is that with a solo, you can PM me when you post files, though I try to check every other day at the latest. Usually, I'm right behind you so the project keeps moving.

How would you like to do this? File at a time or in chunks? Either way works for me. Just let me know your preference.

T
GypsySon

Post by GypsySon »

Fantastic! Im so pumped. Gonna wait till my new toy gets here. Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone in route to my front door! Thanks for getting this set up for me Kitty. And T, I look forward to working with you brother. Thanks for takin it on.

-Éire go Brách
-t
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Great, Tomas and Terry, then we have the team complete :thumbs:

No need hanging about in the launch pad, I move us over to Going Solo. :)

Good luck with your new microphone.

Sonia
GypsySon

Post by GypsySon »

Alright! Got my gear in. Got my space straight. Im ready to knock this shit out. Before we get started, i have a couple ways i could do this. American accent, or Irish. If it is good enough to pass, i wouldnt mind the practice. If its just too bad, i can do it regular American Mid-west. Being my first solo project, maybe i should get one under my belt before messing with the accent. IDK. You guys decide. Also, if you have any pointers as to the quality of the recording itself, im all ears!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/wild_irishman.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/wild_irishman_accent.mp3

Looking forward to working with you both.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GypsySon wrote: September 16th, 2018, 12:51 pmBefore we get started, i have a couple ways i could do this. American accent, or Irish. If it is good enough to pass, i wouldnt mind the practice. If its just too bad, i can do it regular American Mid-west. Being my first solo project, maybe i should get one under my belt before messing with the accent.
all right, here are my two-cents worth ;)

first of all, I love Scottish or Irish accents. And I think you're doing a great job with it. But are you sure you can keep this up for the whole book ? It might be easier for you to read it in your own "language".

Also, I have the impression you are reading a bit faster in Irish than in American. It's probably due to the sing-song quality the voice is taking when doing this accent. As I said, I love it, but to me as listener, it's easier to follow when people speak a bit slower. You already have a very fluent way of speaking, so speeding it up is not necessary ;) but that's only my opinion (you asked :mrgreen: )

So bottom line: I think you should read the way you sound most comfortable with. Both accents are fine and easy to understand and the sound quality is very good. :thumbs:

Sonia
GypsySon

Post by GypsySon »

great! thank you so much for the feedback. And please do not hold back. Im very receptive to criticism as i have ambitions to take my voice acting to the next level. Any and all feedback and criticism will only help me in my endevour.

Regarding the accent im happy you noticed it clipped along at a bit of a quicker pace, this was intentional, im glad it read correctly. I had the same concern about keeping it up for the whole piece, and while there is no physical strain on me to do that accent, i have a tendency to be a bit of a perfectionist, and im afraid i would get stuck on the technicalities and that could really slow things down.

So ill go ahead and give it to ya straight up. Words forthcoming :)
GypsySon

Post by GypsySon »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

excellent. You should now also put the link into the MW and change the status to "ready for PL", so that Terry can see that on her to do list. :)

Sonia
terrybenn

Post by terrybenn »

And Terry is back from Hurricaneville and ready to work.

Section 1 is PL OK.

Slow down just a tad. You've got a nice strong voice for reading and phrase things well. Just relax into it and let it flow.

T