COMPLETE[PLAY] The Vampire; or, the Bride of the Isles by J.R. Planche - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Foon wrote: August 9th, 2018, 5:27 am Ahh right, sorry about that. Fortunately, I was just finishing up editing act II so I quickly stuck the correct voice credit in!

Lady Margaret, Act II:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_ladymargaret_2.mp3
ah thank you, now the voice credit is ok :) Poor Margaret, she is really in major emotional troubles all throughout the play. But you dramatize her quite well, Foon :thumbs:

Only two things to correct here:

> at 0:43: (p. 10): "the king of England wishes him to marry a lady of the court" - you forgot to say "him", but that changes the meaning of the sentence a lot

> at about 1:06: (p. 10): missing line: "Well, sir, is Ruthven coming ?"

Note for Chuck: Foon also uses your pronunciation of "Rooth-ven", and since my Bridget is immediately replying with "Riven", maybe that sounds a bit strange. Should I maybe amend my files or is it explainable by Bridget being Scottish maybe ? :lol:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote: August 9th, 2018, 5:47 am
Foon wrote: August 9th, 2018, 5:27 am Ahh right, sorry about that. Fortunately, I was just finishing up editing act II so I quickly stuck the correct voice credit in!

Lady Margaret, Act II:
ah thank you, now the voice credit is ok :) Poor Margaret, she is really in major emotional troubles all throughout the play. But you dramatize her quite well, Foon :thumbs:

> at 0:43: (p. 10): "the king of England wishes him to marry a lady of the court" - you forgot to say "him", but that changes the meaning of the sentence a lot

Note for Chuck: Foon also uses your pronunciation of "Rooth-ven", and since my Bridget is immediately replying with "Riven", maybe that sounds a bit strange. Should I maybe amend my files or is it explainable by Bridget being Scottish maybe ? :lol:

Sonia
Good question. To be honest, I'm usually not a stickler about maintaining consistent pronunciation of character names. You're welcome to keep the files as is, especially since there's a character motivation for that particular pronunciation. I tried to do a little research into how other readers (both professional and LV) have said that name (the character pops up quite frequently) and I couldn't find any consistency there either. I mostly heard "Rooth-ven" and "Ruth-ven," but I'm not sure if there's a "canonical" way to say his name.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Lady Margaret, Act II:

Sonia
Thanks Foon! Great performance. :thumbs:
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Foon

Post by Foon »

Sonia

New version with those two corrections made! I hope my new lines don't sound all too different--I was staying at another house when I made the previous recording, and I notice the acoustics are rather different.. :?
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Foon wrote: August 16th, 2018, 6:17 am New version with those two corrections made! I hope my new lines don't sound all too different--I was staying at another house when I made the previous recording, and I notice the acoustics are rather different.. :?
not to worry, Foon, it sounds absolutely great. :thumbs: PL ok now. Thanks !

Sonia
snaresamn

Post by snaresamn »

May I claim Andrew (sections 4 & 5)?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

snaresamn wrote: August 17th, 2018, 4:20 pmMay I claim Andrew (sections 4 & 5)?
Hi Sam, welcome to the drama-corner :D always great to have a new addition to the troupe.

I see this is your first participation in a LV drama, so maybe you are not familiar with the special way of handling the recording of your sections here:

1) no need to do an intro or outro, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which here should be: "Andrew, Steward to Ruthven, read by Sam" (or whatever you want your reader name to be)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. While it may not be necessary to read the whole play, especially if it's a smaller role showing up only in some scenes, it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as dramatic as you can in your character. That's the fun in drama :9:

3) very important: leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 2-3 seconds. Even when you have stage directions in the middle of your speech , like [looks around] or something, also leave 2 seconds of pause there, because the editor has to copy all your parts and paste them in a master file and it's helpful if he has enough space to fiddle with.

4) do one separate file for each act the naming convention can be found in the first post

I think that is all that is special here. Well, have fun acting out !

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

snaresamn wrote: August 17th, 2018, 4:20 pm May I claim Andrew (sections 4 & 5)?
Thanks for claiming the role, Sam! Please let either of us know if you have any questions.
PROJECTS
snaresamn

Post by snaresamn »

ChuckW wrote: August 19th, 2018, 11:54 am
snaresamn wrote: August 17th, 2018, 4:20 pm May I claim Andrew (sections 4 & 5)?
Thanks for claiming the role, Sam! Please let either of us know if you have any questions.
Thanks for having me! One quick question for now: which pronunciation are we going with for "Ruthven"? If there's no preference I'll probably stick with the /ˈrɪvən/ pronunciation since I'll also be doing a Scottish accent but I can change it if needed!
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

snaresamn wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 5:02 pm
ChuckW wrote: August 19th, 2018, 11:54 am
Thanks for having me! One quick question for now: which pronunciation are we going with for "Ruthven"? If there's no preference I'll probably stick with the /ˈrɪvən/ pronunciation since I'll also be doing a Scottish accent but I can change it if needed!
I'm not a stickler for "correct" pronunciations, since we're usually dealing with a number of different regional and national accents. You're welcome to use Sonia's pronunciation, however, especially if you plan on trying to nail the dialect.

Look forward to your recording. :-)
PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

snaresamn wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 5:02 pmIf there's no preference I'll probably stick with the /ˈrɪvən/ pronunciation since I'll also be doing a Scottish accent
I'd be thrilled if I wasn't the only one using this pronunciation :9: and I have a hunch Tomas at least will also use that one. :mrgreen:

Thanks, Sam, I love Scottish accents, so I'm looking forward to this performance. :9:

Sonia
jfgallagher

Post by jfgallagher »

If it please the Court, I should like to claim the role of Ronald.

As a descendant of Irish immigrants I cannot muster an honest Scottish accent, hoping that it's absence will be less distracting!

As to the "Ruthven" pronunciation debate, it seems best to follow Foon's lead on this as we would expect Margaret and Ronald to be similar in that regard.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

jfgallagher wrote: August 30th, 2018, 5:25 pm If it please the Court, I should like to claim the role of Ronald.

As a descendant of Irish immigrants I cannot muster an honest Scottish accent, hoping that it's absence will be less distracting!

As to the "Ruthven" pronunciation debate, it seems best to follow Foon's lead on this as we would expect Margaret and Ronald to be similar in that regard.
That would be super, jfgallagher! Thank you so much for volunteering.

And of course, there's no need to do an accent, as most of us aren't. All of the dramatic projects produced in this section proudly feature a diverse array of voices, accents, and dialects. It's great! :-)

Since this is obviously you're first dramatic project, don't be afraid to ask Sonia or me any questions you might have. We're both happy to help and can guide you through the process. But for the most part, it's all quite simple and you should find your bearings within no time at all.

Thanks again! With that, we're officially full!
PROJECTS
jfgallagher

Post by jfgallagher »

Here is my recording of Ronald from Act I.

I wish that I had cleaner text, or better eyes, or both! It's a little tough to decipher some of the words as I'm reading, but I think I'm okay so far. Let me know if you find any egregious errors.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_Ronald_1_128kb.mp3
recording time 8:12
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jfgallagher wrote: September 2nd, 2018, 3:51 pm Here is my recording of Ronald from Act I.
I wish that I had cleaner text, or better eyes, or both! It's a little tough to decipher some of the words as I'm reading, but I think I'm okay so far. Let me know if you find any egregious errors.
wonderful characterization of the the Baron, Jim :thumbs: I love the deep voice, which fits this person extremely well. Sorry about the text, we have to use PD sources and often that means that the text is not the easiest on the eyes. (I've already seen worse, believe me :lol: )

But all in all your text was quite accurate, once or twice there was a bit of a deviation, but nothing changing the meaning in any way, so this is ok. There's only one sentence you could cut out:

> at 7:16: (p. 8) "Away with you then" - this part can be cut out, since it's Robert, not Ronald saying this

The rest is fine. Just a mention, while you leave plenty of space between most of your speeches, sometimes when there is a narrator inside your sentence, you forget to leave too much space. It's ok for this section, as it's still quite feasible to cut them out, but maybe take care in the next act to leave 2 or 3 seconds between each chunk. Makes our editor's job easier ;)

Some other technical aspect: we never use capital letters in filenames, but that's only a detail, and not so important here, since your file will be deleted anyway once the bits are all copied into a masterfile.

Thanks, great debut into drama, hopefully I'll hear you in more plays soon :9:

Sonia