[COMPLETE]World's Story 4: Greece and Rome - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi KTBMedia :) thank you for your interest in this project. I see this will be your very first official recording too. I had a quick look at your one-minute test and it seems the final version passed all the criteria, so you are well ready to roll.
KTBMedia wrote: September 1st, 2018, 8:18 amI'd like to claim sections 17, 18, and 21. I noticed there was no rule blatantly stating whether or not claiming multiple sections at once is taboo, but they're all pretty short and I'll be sure to have them done as soon as possible (maybe even by the end of the day?).
Three sections are ok to claim in one go, although I don't think anybody could call section 17 "pretty short" :shock: In fact it's the longest section in this project with 22 pages. I guess this will be about 45-50 minutes final result and from my experience, the editing phase will take an experienced reader about 3 times as long. I'm not saying you can't take it, but I wanted to make you aware that there is some work involved in such a long section.

But I'll reserve the 3 sections for you, no problem :) For that I need indeed your reader name, to open your personal reader page.
Oh, and before I decide how I'd like to be credited, I'd like to know how the whole crediting thing works. Aside from me saying my name in the first few seconds of the recording, will the finished product link to my user profile on this site? Or will the list of contributors just include my name and that's it?
yes the reader name is usually the name you will say at the beginning of each file. For example, my forum name is Kitty, but my real name is Sonia and I get credited by Sonia as well. If you want to stay anonymous that is fine, you do as you wish. The name will appear on your Reader Page, where all your projects will be listed as a handy repertoire of everything you are doing on here.

Here is what my reader page looks like, to give you an example. You see both Kitty and Sonia mentioned there and all my projects listed: https://librivox.org/reader/10179

Just let me know how you want to be credited, then I assign the sections to you.

All the details for intro and outro and correct filenaming you can find in the first post underneath the Magic Window. Some sections require full intro, others the short one. You'll see the details in the Magic Window which one you have to use. Also take special care in the naming of the painting in Section 18. All details underneath the title are required, also include the page number for paintings. How to handle footnotes, if there are any, you can read that up in the second post.

If there are any questions still, don't hesitate to ask. :)

As a suggestion: 21 is really a short section, I would suggest you start with that one, to test the waters. ;) I would propose to upload it and wait for my feedback before you tackle the long section 17.

Good luck and have fun !

Sonia
KTBMedia

Post by KTBMedia »

All right, sounds good!

Here's section 21: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_21_tappan_128kb.mp3 Time: 01:50

Although I'm using my full real name in the disclaimer, I think I'd like to just be credited as K.T.B. if that's all right? That's the name I'm used to going by on the internet.
Last edited by KTBMedia on September 1st, 2018, 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
"No, he doesn't row."
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

KTBMedia wrote: September 1st, 2018, 9:34 am I think I'd like to just be credited as K.T.B. if that's all right?
How you'd like to be credited is totally up to you. The only thing you might want to consider is that although it is possible to change a reader's name later on, it is not possible to change all the recordings of that reader done until then.

Oh, and I just noticed, you should provide the time of the recording. That's to make sure that our nice uploader didn't swallow part of your work :)
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_33_april_128kb.mp3 time 0:39
Sonia,
Here is the edited file. It seems odd to me to insert my name & take out "tappan", did I do it correctly? Please do let me know :?
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

KTBMedia wrote: September 1st, 2018, 9:34 am All right, sounds good!
Here's section 21: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_21_tappan_128kb.mp3 Time: 01:50
Although I'm using my full real name in the disclaimer, I think I'd like to just be credited as K.T.B. if that's all right? That's the name I'm used to going by on the internet.
thank you, that was quick. :)

So yes it's all right to use K.T.B. if you wish. I now opened your brandnew reader page here: https://librivox.org/reader/12742 I can also include a link to a webpage, if you have one.

Now to your section 21. First of all, it's an excellent sound quality and a wonderfully fluent reading. :thumbs: It was a pleasure to listen to and already I'm looking forward to hearing a longer chapter from you. :9: Your volume is 92 dB at the moment, which is just inside our accepted limits, so be careful not to get any louder. ;)

The text as such is absolutely flawless. Well done. However I have two small additions to ask before I can ok the section:

> at 0:15: right after the whole title and painter, I wanted the page number included for paintings and photographs, so listeners who might be interested in seeing the picture immediately know where to look. This is only for paintings, not for the stories and poems. Could you please include "painting page 128" right before you start with the text proper ? I mentioned that in my special notes in the second post

> at 1:45: you forgot the end disclaimer after the text. Please include "End of Section 21. This recording is in the public domain." Then leave a standard of 5 seconds of silence at the end

Please reupload with the exact same file-name, as the new file will then replace the old file.

All in all, a great start. :) Thanks !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote: September 1st, 2018, 9:59 am https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_33_april_128kb.mp3 time 0:39
Sonia,
Here is the edited file. It seems odd to me to insert my name & take out "tappan", did I do it correctly? Please do let me know :?
April
yes this is perfectly PL ok. It doesn't matter what you name the file as long as it's different from the final official name. Your single file will get deleted anyway, once I paste your lines into the masterfile. So it's not important that it includes the name Tappan. :)

Thank you, it's perfect now.

Sonia
Foon

Post by Foon »

Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Foon wrote: September 1st, 2018, 12:33 pm Hi Sonia,

Here's the messenger in section 4:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_4_messenger_tappan_128kb.mp3
thanks, Foon, that was a huge part :shock: Will PL tomorrow though, need to rush off now. Sorry.

Sonia
KTBMedia

Post by KTBMedia »

Thank you very much!
Kitty wrote: September 1st, 2018, 12:17 pmYour volume is 92 dB at the moment, which is just inside our accepted limits, so be careful not to get any louder. ;)
Yeah, I'm making sure to use the checker every time to keep it within that range. I have a bad habit of generally speaking somewhat loudly so I'm fortunate for Audacity's volume editor.
Errors
Ah! I forgot about those, my bad. Here's the updated version: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_21_tappan_128kb.mp3

One more question before I move on: How exactly do I deal with the notes at the beginning of some chapters that end with "The editor"? Should I preface the reading of that section by saying something like "Note from the editor:" or should I just read it word-for-word as-is and assume the listener will understand?
"No, he doesn't row."
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

by Kitty » Today, 5:36 am

and you did it excellently, Angelique :clap: You really sound as if you were scrutinizing the wares on offer before you buy :lol: Nice touch ! And no missing lines, all PL ok perfect.

Thanks for playing a part in this one. I hope I'll be hearing you in some other plays soon ;)

And I'm so looking forward to hearing all your voices together after editing. :9:
HaHa.
And yes, for once, I let some ol' heathen immediately go, as not being worth the price!
Whyyy, *OUTRAGEOUS!* :lol: :lol:

I look foward to hearing the full project! As always, *LOVE* for your tremendous efforts here!
~Angelique
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

KTBMedia wrote: September 1st, 2018, 12:48 pm One more question before I move on: How exactly do I deal with the notes at the beginning of some chapters that end with "The editor"? Should I preface the reading of that section by saying something like "Note from the editor:" or should I just read it word-for-word as-is and assume the listener will understand?
for the editor's note at the beginning, simply read the text as it's written there, and after that end it with "the editor" (like it's written). Only if you have footnotes in the text, then please say "Footnote - *text* - End of Footnote" at an appropriate place in the sentence where the footnote appears. Thanks :)

Will Spot PL your section tomorrow.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: September 1st, 2018, 2:46 pm Here are my first 4 sections
oh, thanks for these, Jo :9: will update MW now, but PL tomorrow, it's a bit late tonight and I'm tired.

Just one thing I noticed...the filename should have volume04, not volume4. But no need to reupload yet, if there are no errors, I'll change the filename later on. :)

Sonia
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Kitty wrote: September 1st, 2018, 2:47 pm
knotyouraveragejo wrote: September 1st, 2018, 2:46 pm Here are my first 4 sections
oh, thanks for these, Jo :9: will update MW now, but PL tomorrow, it's a bit late tonight and I'm tired.

Just one thing I noticed...the filename should have volume04, not volume4. But no need to reupload yet, if there are no errors, I'll change the filename later on. :)

Sonia
Sorry about the error in the filenames. :oops: Once you PL these, I'll edit them on the server for you.
Jo