Updating the Book Suggestions Board

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I enjoy digging around in the Book Suggestions board among the older suggestions, and have noticed that there are some that have since been done and entered into the catalog. Sometimes these are later annotated to show that it's been done, and sometimes not. If I come across one that has not, is there someone I should notify, or just leave a comment on the post itself?

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'd say, leave a comment in the thread itself.

Eventually ones that are annotated get removed. There's no set schedule for this; it happens when an admin has time and inclination to go through and annotate/delete threads. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

For the record, I did a Book Suggestions search for the word "adopted" and only came up with 1 or 2 threads to remove. Most instances of the word were in threads with more than one book suggestion, and only one of the suggestions was taken up, so the thread remains.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Okay, thanks!

I didn't realize threads are removed. I didn't want to just willy-nilly add comments because it would take all the oldest ones and put them at the top of the pile again. But if they are ultimately removed that's not such a problem. And when I come across ones that have been recorded, I'll use the word adopted to make the search easier.
Colleen McMahon

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Most threads aren't ever removed , but Listeners Wanted and Book suggestions are , so that it's easier to find up to date ones.
Your idea is a good one :D

Anne
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Hope I wasn't too spammy with it all yesterday. I started with the oldest and went through 2 pages. Found a few that had been done, and updated/added text links on some of the others. Hopefully it will stir up some interest in a couple of them!

I'll probably do a page at a time here and there, if that's cool with everyone.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I especially think that supplying current text links is good. :)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Hi again!

So, I've still been working my way back through the older book suggestions, looking at 5-10 old posts at a time and seeing if there was any information I could add or links to books, or if the book had been recorded at some point (along with adding plenty of new ones of my own, as I'm sure anyone who follows the Book Suggestions board has noticed!).

I hadn't done it in a couple of weeks, and just now when I looked at the board and went to find my last stopping point, I noticed that there were several fewer pages total than there had been (I used to go to page 49 or 50 and then clicking back to page 45 or 46 or thereabouts -- just now the highest page number is 47 and I found my last stopping point on page 42.

So I'm just curious, was the board consolidated or older posts dropped off or something else happened?

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I was bored this week and deleted a bunch of stuff - things that were in the catalog, or that were definitely not PD, or newbie soloists that were starting a project but were told to record a test first, then never came back. I also combined several threads with the same suggestion. Things like that.

So I was going a little of your work. :oops:
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Cool! Thanks!

I'm gonna keep plugging away with my little side project of checking out each thread and seeing if there's anything useful to add to it, since

1) I'm a nerd and it's fun for me

2) I keep finding things to add to my own potential "maybe I'll record this someday" list

3) When I do find something useful to add, it makes the suggestion pop up to the top for some new eyes to look at and maybe find an adopter.

4) Did I mention the nerd part?

As my old man used to say, "whatever keeps you out of the pool halls!"

Colleen
Colleen McMahon