[COMPLETE]World's Story 4: Greece and Rome - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks, Sonia. And Alan too for the advice because I would like to re-read Ulysses or maybe re-read by listening. I finished reading Ulysses just as my first son was born (the last word of the novel is the word Yes, so it has always been special for me. But when teaching the Odyssey, I had my students read the passage in Ulysses that parallels the Nausicaa-Odysseus scene I recorded. Joyce's modern rendition is wildly different of course, funnier and sexier, and with his usual layers of symbolism and irony. Anyway, I just had to do this selection for LV. Jim
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Kitty wrote: August 30th, 2018, 3:16 am April, you asked me to choose a role for you in the Philosopher drama, so I'll assign you the Fifth Customer, then you'll get your dialogue with Socrates ;) Please refer only to the following two pages:
Fifth Customer (appears only on pages 217 with first sentence "what is the main feature" and 218 with final sentence "Dion, of Syracuse")

also for the voice credit say only your words in red:
"read for LibriVox.org by Sonia as the Narrator, Alan Mapstone as Jupiter, Tomas Peter as Mercury, TJ Burns as the First Customer, Foon as Pythagoras, Sandra as the Second Customer, SonOfTheExiles as Diogenes, (xxx) as the Third Customer, Monika as the Fourth Customer, Jim Locke as Democritus, Devorah Allen as Heraclitus, (xxx) as Socrates, April6090 as the Fifth Customer, (xxx) as the Sixth Customer, (xxx) as the Seventh Customer, (xxx) as Chrysippus, (xxx) as the Eighth Customer, Eva Davis as the Ninth Customer and Nemo as Pyrrho"
thanks !

Sonia
I am certain that you chose well so I must say thank you here. Looking forward to reading the sections that I claimed. :D
April
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Here are my two drama offerings.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_iphigenia_04_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_heraclitus_33_128kb.mp3

Iphigenia may be a bit on the quiet side. I didn't think to check volume, and it didn't occur to me until it was uploading.
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_46_tappan_128kb.mp3 10:30

Kitty

I wonder if the US city of Cincinnati is named after this Roman field leader 8-)
Yes, you are right! Cincinnati is also known as "The Seven Hills", and so, too, relates to the Romans. :wink:

Thank you, as alway, for your wonderful PLing ... and clear instructions. I DO want this to be the best that I can currently render it; your help is ... ah hm ... immeasurable.
I did, indeed, spend about 30 minutes trying to determine *what* exactly the text may have meant by the term, as listed, "iourjugera." I must have researched everything except for the correct word! :roll:
And ... who knows? The Full Text that I viewed from your wonderfully provided link ... doesn't list the date either. And so, your specific direction was especially appreciated there.

I've fixed all that you mention; please let me know (Oh, By The Heavens!) if I made a mistake while making the update!

Best,
~Angelique
Calleola

Post by Calleola »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: August 30th, 2018, 2:30 pm Here are my two drama offerings.
Iphigenia may be a bit on the quiet side. I didn't think to check volume, and it didn't occur to me until it was uploading.
wonderful performances, Devorah, thank you so much. Iphigenia is just within our 86 dB limit ;) but I may amplify or decrease the volume anyway in assembling the piece later on.

But what I really really loved was Democritus. This guy is such a woeful whino :lol: You really play it to perfection. If the customer listens too long to this lamentation he may be persuaded to jump from the next bridge. :shock:

Both PL ok. Thanks

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

BurgundyGrace wrote: August 30th, 2018, 4:51 pmYes, you are right! Cincinnati is also known as "The Seven Hills", and so, too, relates to the Romans. :wink:
ah interesting, thanks for the info !
And ... who knows? The Full Text that I viewed from your wonderfully provided link ... doesn't list the date either.
:hmm: what text did you read from ? On this scanned page you clearly see the date underneat the title: https://archive.org/stream/worldsstoryhisto04tapp#page/307/mode/1up

do you maybe read from an OCR text ? That could explain some of the errors you made. The OCR is often unreliable, there are many typos with some letters, like i and l or u and n. That's why I personally always read from the original scanned page.

But everything is fixed perfectly now and this section is PL ok. :)

Thanks

Sonia
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Kitty:
do you maybe read from an OCR text ?
Ahhh, yes. That would be it.
And clears up another puzzlement I've encountered. :)

Glad all is well with this section now.

Thanks bunches!
~Angelique
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Kitty wrote: August 31st, 2018, 12:48 am The OCR is often unreliable, there are many typos with some letters, like i and l or u and n. That's why I personally always read from the original scanned page.
That's why they have five rounds of proofreading on gutenberg.org :) The German version of gutenberg doesn't seem to be that thorough unfortunately; especially lately I found a lot of errors in books that were only available there. I usually prefer ebooks, but when I can't get them on .org or on faded pages, I rather take the pdf on archive.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

moniaqua wrote: August 31st, 2018, 1:20 amThat's why they have five rounds of proofreading on gutenberg.org :)
yes but this series hasn't passed through Gutenberg yet. It would be a great idea to pitch it there though ;) do you have any pull there ?
I usually prefer ebooks, but when I can't get them on .org or on faded pages, I rather take the pdf on archive.
I am quite used to archive by now and actually like working with it, unless the scan is really illegible, but usually it's a good scan.

Sonia
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Kitty wrote: August 31st, 2018, 1:24 am It would be a great idea to pitch it there though ;) do you have any pull there ?
I thought of that, too :) Only, I have some backlog there, CP as well as PP :lol: :oops: So in about felt halve a million years I might be able to do it ;)
Kitty wrote: August 31st, 2018, 1:24 am I am quite used to archive by now and actually like working with it,
It's not bad, the only backdraft for me is that I can't really put it on my ebook-reader so I have to read it on the PC and thus have the noise of the fan to deal with. When I can read from the reader I often don't even need any noise removal - one step less to work. ;)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Calleola wrote: August 30th, 2018, 7:55 pm Here you go!
length - 08:47
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_84_tappan_128kb.mp3
congratulations, Laura, this section is totally PL ok on the first go. :clap: Not only had you all the details of intro/outro perfect, but there were no textual errors either and you read it all with a wonderfully calm voice which was an absolute pleasure to listen to :9: I'm very happy to count you among the readers of this project :)

If I had to make a small note, it's the end silence, which is over 6 seconds, instead of the required 5. No need to change it for this section, we're not that picky :lol: but I only mention it, so it doesn't become even longer in further recordings.

Thank you very much. I hope you liked the process of recording and editing just as much as I liked the listening, so that more contributions from you can be expected soon (in this project or any other). :)

Sonia
Calleola

Post by Calleola »

Thanks, Sonia! :D It was incredibly fun and I look forward to more projects! Sorry about that last bit, I guess I measured wrong. I'll pay closer attention next time. And thanks for the feedback!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jim, here's another short section to PL... but no hurry ! It'll keep :mrgreen:

I hope I pronounced all the antique Greek names correctly, so if anything strikes you as odd, please tell me.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_02_tappan_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:05 min.

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Enter the philosopher Socrates in section 33:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_33_socrates_tappan_128kb.mp3

Time: 1:04

As always, please advise of any desired corrections or improvements.
(I so wanted to pronounce his name as was done in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, but I refrained.) :lol:
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"