'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for blightersrock (Tony Foster) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

I would like to thank you for your recording of Mary Barton by Mrs Gaskell. I belong to a book club and as part of the Cottonopolis project we had to read a book set during the Industrial Revolution in Manchester. I like to listen to books because then you can do other things at the same time. I have a subscription to Audible so I listen to a lot of books. Your performance is just as good as those and is contributing to my enjoyment of the story. It’s lovely to hear an appropriate Northern accent.
Thank you so much for all your hard work.
Yours Clare

All of Tony's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for msfry (Michele Fry) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Thank you MsFry!

Your lovely voice and fluent delivery of your recordings are of professional quality.
I detect a hint of a southern accent which is very charming.

I especially like your sections of "Keys To Uncle Tom's Cabin" and readings of Robert Ingersol's eulogies.

Please keep up the good work.

-- William

All of Michele's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for d.e.wittkower (D.E. Wittkower) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

I am writing to thank Prof. Wittkower for his contributions to audio philosophy, esp. the reading of Kant.

Also, I am looking forward to teaching Prof. Wittkower's book Facebook and Philosophy in the upcoming semester. Thanks for the great material!

C. Todd

All of D.E.'s recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for chymocles (Thomas A. Copeland) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

To Whom It May Concern,

Thomas A Copeland’s reading of John Milton’s Paradise Lost (https://librivox.org/paradise-lost-by-john-milton-2/) is so superb that I am almost disappointed that it is free. Mr. Copeland’s mood, tone and vocal range, not to mention his exquisite attention to metric rhythm, grammatical subtleties and syntax renders Paradise Lost into music. Thank you very much, Mr. Copeland for doing justice to the great epic which is Paradise Lost. I will be downloading this version to keep.

All of Thomas' recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

icequeen wrote: August 20th, 2018, 7:58 pm Praise received for Sue Anderson (Sue Anderson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Book: birding in british Guiana and venezuela

Reader: sue Anderson

What a delight to listen to this book covering familiar territory, fauna and sounds of the tropics. Was particularly surprised by the ease of pronouncing scientific names and imitating bird sounds. Went to your website and no longer surprised…a real treat listening and transporting myself. Thankyou!!

Kindest regards

Karin

netherlands

All of Sue's recordings!
Hi Karin, Thanks very much for your kind words about my latest LibriVox read, Our Search for a Wilderness. William and Mary Blair Beebe's account of birding in Venezuela and British Guiana was mentioned by Richard Prum in his The Evolution of Beauty (2017), and I thought it would be a good fit with my interests in exploration and natural history--which it was!

Although I wasn't aware of it when I began reading Our Search, I soon realized that the Beebes' survey of British Guiana birds and wildlife in the early 1900's could be a valuable resource for today's ecologists, who are worried about the impact of oil discoveries off the coast of independent Guyana, the subject of a recent NYTimes article: https://nyti.ms/2mxOPjS.

Transcribing bird sounds was no easy task for the Beebes. William employed not only word approximations and pictographs--lines curving up and down on the page--but there were moments when he resorted to scrawling a staff on a bit of paper and pin-pricking the notes "where they seemed to come." It's a lot easier today to capture nature's music. Proof of this is the sounding toad which I featured on the CD cover of the LibriVox Nonfiction Collection Volume 58: https://archive.org/details/nonfiction058_1808_librivox. You can enjoy this toad's full performance in a video I shot on my cell phone here on my website: http://audiobooks.oliveandseablue.com/arts/natureandscience/ecological-toad/

Best wishes,
msfry

Post by msfry »

icequeen wrote: August 20th, 2018, 8:16 pm Praise received for msfry (Michele Fry) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Thank you MsFry!

Your lovely voice and fluent delivery of your recordings are of professional quality.

I especially like your sections of "Keys To Uncle Tom's Cabin" and readings of Robert Ingersol's eulogies.

-- William

Thank you, william. Your praise is very much appreciated.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello,
I would like to thank Roger Mellin for his reading of the part of Surgeon in the Greedy Pig. Well done Roger!!
April
April
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Sue Anderson wrote: August 21st, 2018, 11:11 am
icequeen wrote: August 20th, 2018, 7:58 pm Praise received for Sue Anderson (Sue Anderson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Book: birding in british Guiana and venezuela

Reader: sue Anderson

What a delight to listen to this book covering familiar territory, fauna and sounds of the tropics. Was particularly surprised by the ease of pronouncing scientific names and imitating bird sounds. Went to your website and no longer surprised…a real treat listening and transporting myself. Thankyou!!

Kindest regards

Karin

netherlands

All of Sue's recordings!
Hi Karin, Thanks very much for your kind words about my latest LibriVox read, Our Search for a Wilderness. William and Mary Blair Beebe's account of birding in Venezuela and British Guiana was mentioned by Richard Prum in his The Evolution of Beauty (2017), and I thought it would be a good fit with my interests in exploration and natural history--which it was!

Although I wasn't aware of it when I began reading Our Search, I soon realized that the Beebes' survey of British Guiana birds and wildlife in the early 1900's could be a valuable resource for today's ecologists, who are worried about the impact of oil discoveries off the coast of independent Guyana, the subject of a recent NYTimes article: https://nyti.ms/2mxOPjS.

Transcribing bird sounds was no easy task for the Beebes. William employed not only word approximations and pictographs--lines curving up and down on the page--but there were moments when he resorted to scrawling a staff on a bit of paper and pin-pricking the notes "where they seemed to come." It's a lot easier today to capture nature's music. Proof of this is the sounding toad which I featured on the CD cover of the LibriVox Nonfiction Collection Volume 58: https://archive.org/details/nonfiction058_1808_librivox. You can enjoy this toad's full performance in a video I shot on my cell phone here on my website: http://audiobooks.oliveandseablue.com/arts/natureandscience/ecological-toad/

Best wishes,

I passed this on for you, thanks Sue!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

msfry wrote: August 21st, 2018, 11:23 am
icequeen wrote: August 20th, 2018, 8:16 pm Praise received for msfry (Michele Fry) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Thank you MsFry!

-- William

Thank you, william. Your praise is very much appreciated.

I have passed this on for you, thanks Michele!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Kaffen (Mark F. Smith) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I would like to thank Mark F. Smith for his excellent reading of Robert Louis Stevenson's Kidnapped ( https://librivox.org/kidnapped-by-robert-louis-stevenson/). Your clear diction and the different voices you gave to the different characters really made listening enjoyable. Thanks for all your efforts.
All of Mark's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for philchenevert (Phil Chenevert) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I would like to thank Phil Chenevert for his wonderful reading style. I listened to his Oz books and loved how he did all the voices. I told my grown daughter and she's enjoying his Oz books too. (We're Oz fans going back decades). I've since started looking for his other works, and enjoyed Lady Windemere's Fan. I'll be looking for others in the future. He seems to be extraordinarily prolific.

Thanks, Phil, for sharing your talent.

All of Phil's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for chocoholic (Laurie Anne Walden) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

H Laurie
I came across Librivox in looking for free audiobooks. The first, I am almost finished, was Riders of the Purple Sage. I read it as a young boy, along with quite a few by Zane Grey. It was important in the awakening of the beauty in words. Another link was in MASH in an altercation between Col Potter and Emison Winchester III, In which Col Potter vehemently defended the the literary worth of the novel despite Winchester,s scorn. Thank you for your reading of this piece, I really enjoyed your interpretation and emphases. It brought back wonderful memories. Thank you again for a fabulous reading.
Warmest regards
Jon

All Laurie Anne's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for TriciaG (TriciaG) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank You TriciaG
for being so faithful in recording the Isabella Alden/Pansy stories
I greatly appreciate it and enjoy listening to them all
Thank You again ☺

All of Tricia's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Sprocket (Adam Whybray) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Adam,
I have never sent one of these before, but I just finished listening to The Journal of a Disappointed Man. It was wonderful! Your voice is really perfect for it, and I enjoyed the book enormously. I think he would be gratified that his works are not being ignored almost 100 years after his death, and that he would have loved your recording!
I looked and saw that Internet Archive has his two other books as well. I plan to read them both, although I won't have time to for a while. I looked to see if either of them were in LV, and saw that there is one in progress. I am hoping that it wasn't an out-of-date reference to this work, and that you are reading it.
I know it is a huge task to do a solo work like this, but the experience for the reader is so much better. Thank you for all your dedication.

BTW, it may amuse you to know that I have gotten very interested in his daughter, Penelope. He agonized over bringing a child into the world with parents (and grandparents) of such uncertain health. I wondered what ever happened to her. I have done a little poking around the internet, but haven't found anything useful yet.
--Christine

All of Adam's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for DSayers (Denny Sayers) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Hi,

I would like to thank Denny Sayers for his excellent reading of Joseph Andrews by Henry Fielding. The novel was beautifully read (his Parson Adams was perfect!) and the recording has helped me hugely in getting through a large reading list for my degree.

Thank you very much!

All of Denny's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!