[COMPLETE]World's Story 4: Greece and Rome - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Section 46: How Cininnatus Saved the Counsul

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_46_tappan_128kb.mp3 10:18

No rush to PL, Kitty. :)

XO
~Angelique
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Can I add a couple more picture descriptions?
Section 81 "Ave Caesar"
Section 76 "Thumbs down"
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thanks, Jim and Angelique, for your submissions. Will try to PL today. :)
alanmapstone wrote: August 29th, 2018, 8:53 pm Can I add a couple more picture descriptions?
Section 81 "Ave Caesar"
Section 76 "Thumbs down"
of course, Alan, thank you so much. :D

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

April, you asked me to choose a role for you in the Philosopher drama, so I'll assign you the Fifth Customer, then you'll get your dialogue with Socrates ;) Please refer only to the following two pages:
Fifth Customer (appears only on pages 217 with first sentence "what is the main feature" and 218 with final sentence "Dion, of Syracuse")

also for the voice credit say only your words in red:
"read for LibriVox.org by Sonia as the Narrator, Alan Mapstone as Jupiter, Tomas Peter as Mercury, TJ Burns as the First Customer, Foon as Pythagoras, Sandra as the Second Customer, SonOfTheExiles as Diogenes, (xxx) as the Third Customer, Monika as the Fourth Customer, Jim Locke as Democritus, Devorah Allen as Heraclitus, (xxx) as Socrates, April6090 as the Fifth Customer, (xxx) as the Sixth Customer, (xxx) as the Seventh Customer, (xxx) as Chrysippus, (xxx) as the Eighth Customer, Eva Davis as the Ninth Customer and Nemo as Pyrrho"
thanks !

Sonia
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

May I have the part of The Eighth Customer, please?
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

*SIGH* My apology; I intended to write "Third Customer."
~Angelique
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

BurgundyGrace wrote: August 30th, 2018, 3:54 am *SIGH* My apology; I intended to write "Third Customer."
yay, thank you for taking part here as well. Third Customer it is :thumbs: I hope you're having fun.

For details about your voice credit and where your character appears, see here: viewtopic.php?p=1499738#p1499738

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: August 29th, 2018, 3:18 pm Here is 06:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_06_tappan_128kb.mp3 20.25 KB
21:36
so, thank you, Jim, for the submitting the first solo section (not counting the DR roles) that is PL ok in this project. :thumbs: I remember the stories of the Odyssea from childhood but I must admit I have not read Ulysses. I started the book but couldn't continue :lol: didn't like the style at all. So is the scene similar enough to really make comparisons ?

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

BurgundyGrace wrote: August 29th, 2018, 8:22 pm Section 46: How Cininnatus Saved the Counsul
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_46_tappan_128kb.mp3 10:18
No rush to PL, Kitty. :)
well I had some time now, so I listened to it all. An interesting story, one I didn't know yet. I wonder if the US city of Cincinnati is named after this Roman field leader 8-)

Nicely read in character, where there were speeches. Makes it lively to listen to. :thumbs:

I did find a few small things to correct though:

> at 0:31: p. 307: "455 B.C." - could you please insert the date after the title and before the author ? I always like to have the date included in the title, especially since it's a history book

> at 1:51: p. 307: "too fight with the proud enemy" - you say "army", this may be optional, but army is a bit more restrictive than enemy. But I let you decide if you want to correct that

> at 3:46: p. 308: "a plot of four jugera" - concerning the footnote here, we should not simply replace the text with the footnote. This would go against our "don't change what the author wrote" policy. In the second post I noted down how to deal with footnotes. Please read the following: "a plot of four jugera - Footnote: Twelve and one half acres - End of Footnote - where he dwelt with his wife Racilia" (not "Rasha" - but this is optional too)

> at 4:36: p. 309: please add missing lines "Then they said: Hail to thee, Lucius Quinctius"

nothing else needs changing. Thank you so much for this wonderful reading :)

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Sonia

Re: Ulysses

After several failed attempts to read the James Joyce Ulysses I eventual got through the whole thing by listening to it as an audio book. It seemed to make more sense that way particularly with the right dialect. There are two versions on Librivox of which the more recent is the best (I am in it). Also a very good commercial recording on Naxos.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Roger

Post by Roger »

I would like to read the part of Socrates in sec. 33. I'm a firm believer that philosophers should be sold on the market. :mrgreen:
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote: August 30th, 2018, 7:09 am I would like to read the part of Socrates in sec. 33. I'm a firm believer that philosophers should be sold on the market. :mrgreen:
:lol: I see you take it philosophically. Thanks for being our Socrates, Roger. :9:

for the voice credit, please say your line in red:

also for the voice credit say only your words in red:
"read for LibriVox.org by Sonia as the Narrator, Alan Mapstone as Jupiter, Tomas Peter as Mercury, TJ Burns as the First Customer, Foon as Pythagoras, Sandra as the Second Customer, SonOfTheExiles as Diogenes, (xxx) as the Third Customer, Monika as the Fourth Customer, Jim Locke as Democritus, Devorah Allen as Heraclitus, Roger Melin as Socrates, April6090 as the Fifth Customer, (xxx) as the Sixth Customer, (xxx) as the Seventh Customer, (xxx) as Chrysippus, (xxx) as the Eighth Customer, Eva Davis as the Ninth Customer and Nemo as Pyrrho"

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: August 30th, 2018, 6:42 am Re: Ulysses

After several failed attempts to read the James Joyce Ulysses I eventual got through the whole thing by listening to it as an audio book. It seemed to make more sense that way particularly with the right dialect. There are two versions on Librivox of which the more recent is the best (I am in it). Also a very good commercial recording on Naxos.
yes it's probably a good idea to imbibe it as audiobook. I understand that it's making more sense with intonation and all. Thanks for the suggestion, Alan !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

And here is my first contribution too, so you have something to PL, Jim :) Maybe you remember this picture from the very first introduction to the whole series in the first book. I remember it well, because I looked it up online. Interesting that the author is bringing it up in more detail now. :9: The painting is really fascinating and the look of the girl is haunting, especially knowing the background story.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume04_01_tappan_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:33 min.

As before, I gave the full subtitle of the book because it's the very first section.

Sonia