[COMPLETE] The History Of Lady Barton by Elizabeth Griffith - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

The History Of Lady Barton by Elizabeth Griffith (1727 - 1793).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-history-of-lady-barton-by-elizabeth-griffith/
This is the story of the three Cleveland siblings: Fanny, the innocent yet very sympathetic sister; Louisa, the strong willed sister whose miserable marriage to Sir William is the center of the novel; and Sir George who tries to get over the loss of his lover by touring the world. Louisa is not an amoral woman, she is beautiful and very lively, values which 18th century society promotes, yet she suffers only affliction from her "respectable" college educated husband. In the main plot, and all the sub plots (of which there are many), the book tests many prominent values of the time and brings to light their negative implications. It raises questions such as: is marriage always right for women? If a woman is miserable in her marriage, when is enough? Is a great tour to find yourself always a good idea, or should you consider it's implications on those around you? Does formal education matter or should inter personal communication skills be more important? Or, perhaps most importantly, is your family always there to protect you? This book is timeless in it's discourses on right and wrong, friendship, and of course love. It has everything for everyone, even the favorite gothic story for those who look for it. It is a must read for every 18th century lover. A book that will make you think and think again.
The novel is written in letters. It is my ideal that every letter writer would be read by a librivox reader. So when you come to claim, please look how many letters you are supposed to read and consider if you can complete the reading in a timely mannor. The letter writers are:
Lady Barton: formerly Louisa Cleveland, a strong willed woman who is abused from the start by her husband sir William. A smart, realistic and suffisticated lady.
Fanny Cleveland, later lady Hume: her sister, a compashenate, intelagent, and optimistic woman. She is Louisa's only real friend yet has much to offer in her own right.
Lord Hume: Fanny's love interest who takes a great tour during which many funny adventures befall him.
Lord Lucan: the only friend of Sir William's louisa likes. Intelligent and educated.
Harriette Westley: Sir William's young niece. wrote only one short letter.
( Stav Nisser.)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!):
      Volume 1:
      https://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/ecco/004844214.0001.001?view=toc
      Volume 2:
      https://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/ecco/004844214.0001.002?view=toc
      Volume 3:
      https://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/ecco/004844214.0001.003?view=toc
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      Genres for the project: satire, thrillers, epistolary fiction, sagas, family drama

Keywords that describe the book: satire, social novel, feminist fiction, love story, gothic novel

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of The History Of Lady Barton . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The History Of Lady Barton , by Elizabeth Griffith . [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The History Of Lady Barton , by Elizabeth Griffith . "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      historyofladybarton_##_griffith_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. historyofladybarton_01_griffith_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dlolso21
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below or pm me
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Miss Stav,

I can MC this for you.

MW is set up and started.

David O
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi David,
how are you? I am so glad you took this up. I will set it up soon. It's going to be dificalt and fun (smile).
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Stav, I want to make sure I understand what you're trying to do with this book. It's all written through letters from the various characters, so what you're wanting is for a reader to sign up to read every letter from one particular character, right? So the person who reads for Fanny, in other words, will read every letter that Fanny wrote?

That's a really cool idea, if I'm understanding it correctly. I'll check back when the MW is ready.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Yes, that's exactly the idea. I do it once in a few years. I look for a reliable cast, because in such a book I cannot orphan sections.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi David,
I need 59 sections, not 41.
Stav.
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Stav,

Sections added.

David O
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thanks a lot. Window will be edited in the next few days. I have everything ready.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

That's it, the magic window is full. Thanks a lot, David, for all the help.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I am interested in reading for Fanny. I think I count about 19 or 20 sections for her character.

I do have several other projects I'm reading for currently, though. It would probably be a few weeks before I'm able to begin recording for this, and I doubt I'd be able to complete it in the standard two-month time frame. Do you have a completion date in mind?
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Look, I know you well. I know you are relyable and commited. I can gladly give you Fanny with an easy heart. Just update me about progress at least once a month, ok?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Sounds great! :thumbs:
Jennling05

Post by Jennling05 »

miss stav wrote: August 19th, 2018, 11:07 pm The History Of Lady Barton by Elizabeth Griffith (1727 - 1793).

Miss Stav,

I would like to volunteer to read the letters of Louise.
I went through the list, and I understand there are 20 sections, totally a few more than 30 letters. I really enjoy the idea of this project.
Sincerely, Jenni
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Jenny,
welcome to librivox. I hope you will enjoy here. Look, you are very new here, and Louisa's sections are rather long. This is a speshal project. In other projects, I coudd have given you as many chapters as you wanted and well in case you find it is too much opened them up again. Here I cannot do that. You cannot open a role in the middle. Recording and eddeting is dificalt and time consuming. Have you ever done that? I am afraid you would find out it is way too much for you down the road. How about you take the short section of miss Westley? You can have that role.
Stav.
Jennling05

Post by Jennling05 »

I completely understand, that's totally fine.
I'd be happy to read for Ms. Westley as well.

Thanks!