SOLO It's Your Fairy Tale, You Know by Elizabeth Rhodes Jackson-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
terrybenn

Post by terrybenn »

annise wrote: August 29th, 2018, 5:23 am
terrybenn wrote: August 29th, 2018, 2:41 am
Anne,

I read the sticky. I skimmed through a number of posts to get an idea of how the set-up worked. I tried clicking the link to the claim list, but it goes no where. It either cycles forever without linking anywhere, or I get a message that, that server can't be connected to. I did this several times, different days and times in case it was a maintenance issue. I went to the wiki and searched around there. I read through more posts to see if a new link was mentioned anywhere. I finally just posted to pre-claim, and you told me I couldn't do that as I'm not the BC. So I'm not sure what else to do, except just write it off as "Lesson Learned." I'm sure we'll get a lovely cover and one day when I get to BC, I'll worry about doing covers then. It was just more practice for doing my own, so not to worry.

T
I tried and it worked for me. The server is actually Bart's personal home server and it is possible that it was down for some reason like a power out age or something . As you are have problems I'll claim it for you as I catalogue it but I can't do this too often - . So you can go ahead , you'll need the run time for the pdf back , but you should have everything else
Keep me posted about your attempts to use the claims list

Anne
Maybe I'm using the wrong link. Is this it? http://librivox.nl/claim/ That's the one I found anyway.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

that's right , when I click on it I get asked for a password .

Anne
terrybenn

Post by terrybenn »

annise wrote: August 29th, 2018, 6:15 am that's right , when I click on it I get asked for a password .

Anne
I tried again just now. I get told it doesn't exist. A sure sign I'm not meant to do covers here. :lol: No worries. I have tons of DPL work to keep me happy and there are many, many cover designers to do the work. So not an issue. Just post it as usual and I'll go volunteer to DPL something else. It's a win/win.

T
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

I did a cover for another book before I learned there's a way of going about it!
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It used to be more casual - and if 2 turned up we just added both, but once we could only use 1 per project whatever we did was going to cause ill will . It's a bit creaky but does work
I'll see if I can think of something for the cover

Anne
terrybenn

Post by terrybenn »

It's not a problem, Anne. I try to take the time to find out what the system is so I can work within it. I just didn't see that particular rule when I was researching. I like things to be copacetic, so I apologize for the misunderstanding on my part. I'm sure once it hits the catalogue someone will step up and take it. It doesn't have to fall to you. From what I could tell on the threads there are more folks wanting to make covers than there are projects to do while DPLs seem to be in shorter supply. Plus by doing extra DPL work, more projects will get finished for the cover folks to do. It's a win/win. I've also noticed that reading threads that stay toward the top get more action from potential readers. Kinda makes them Hot Topic threads. It's that way on every forum I've ever been on. A dedicated DPL and/or BC can make that happen so certain types of projects get finished that much quicker. The DPL can also help with the hosting for new folks, make them feel welcome and such, when they apply to read something. If there's no other posts happening, I post a recap i.e. how many sections finished and PL OK'd, how many assigned, how many with notes, etc which helps the BC stay on top of things and encourages the readers to want to finish projects. I gots stuff to do, girl; don't worry 'bout me. :D
mahne

Post by mahne »

No, Terry, we care about everybody around here, so also about you. That's kind of our philosophy since "Be nice" is not only a style guide for forum posts but also describing the mindset we want to have when librivoxing. And if you want to make covers, there will be a way to do so.

One reason I could think of is that the http://librivox.nl/claim/ page is a http, not a https page.
Some browsers have settings that discourage users of using them, maybe even show a message like yours.
You could try a different browser and/or changing the settings of your browser.
Posting the exact text that you're getting could also be helpful to find the problem.

Also, posting this problem in "Help wanted" could reach more knowledgeable people. And if you're having that problem, chances are someone else will have it too.

Cheers
mahne
all covers made by mahne, constructive criticism appreciated
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks Mahne - I was planning to post in the covermakers to see if anyone else has had that problem, I don't remember it coming up but Bart may have some ideas, he's not around much at the moment but I have sent a PM and am waiting an answer
I'm sorry if Terry felt I was downplaying PLers - I joined as a PLer, have PLed many projects in my time .

Anne
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

[I checked all the corrections, including the first batch. Everything is PL OK except for 2. 10 is still too low in volume. It's 83.9. If you can adjust that to 89, its golden.14 8:28 missing word...no use...should be ...no possible use. Otherwise, you cleaned this on up nicely.]

Crap, I checked up on myself so carefully (I thought!) Now I see why the extra check is needed. I'll do these two as soon as the wood chipper leaves the neighborhood. :)

Nan
terrybenn

Post by terrybenn »

annise wrote: August 30th, 2018, 4:58 am
I'm sorry if Terry felt I was downplaying PLers - I joined as a PLer, have PLed many projects in my time .

Anne
Anne,

Nope, I didn't think that at all. Was just attempting to reassure you that I wasn't upset by this and had plenty to do anyway. None of it was a big deal for me, at all. If you want to follow up for other's benefits, then by all means, but don't worry about it just for me. I've gotten a good idea of how hard you work here, and I have no desire to add to that.

T
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

terrybenn

Post by terrybenn »

10 and 14 are PL OK. And we are done! :clap:
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Yay! On to new projects (after finishing up a few chapters of the old ...) Thank you so much, Trish!

Nan
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just checking everything is ready - the MW still has files not marked PL OK ??
I need to be sure before I add it to the catalogue

Anne
terrybenn

Post by terrybenn »

annise wrote: September 1st, 2018, 1:20 pm Just checking everything is ready - the MW still has files not marked PL OK ??
I need to be sure before I add it to the catalogue

Anne
Anne,

Yes, everything is PL OK. I can't change the MW, and I think Nan just overlooked it. You're free to do your step.

T