Volunteer CD Covers! Working Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm sorry - but only BC's of group projects and soloists can preclaim , everyone else has to claim when it's on the claim list.

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

amitsharma wrote: August 27th, 2018, 10:36 pm Thanks for your help Anne, here is another version: https://librivox.org/uploads/covers/pollyanna_v4_porter_1808.zip

Its under 1 MB now. But I may have compressed it too much at the cost of quality. If that is so, please let me know and I'll reduce the level of compression but with a proportional increase in file size.
That looks fine to me on both my screens -and it displays quite quickly . Are you happy with it ? I was afraid it might have lost some of its brilliance of colour but if it has I can't see it.

https://ia601500.us.archive.org/24/items/pollyanna_version_4_1808_librivox/pollyanna_v4_porter_1808.pdf

Anne
amitsharma

Post by amitsharma »

Okay great, then we will leave it as it is. As long as no major distortion is noticeable I am happy.

Thanks again for your help. I will try to keep the covers around 1 MB in size from now on.

Amit
Amit Sharma, CC

"You can call me crazy, but you're just jealous that the voices don't talk to you."
msfry

Post by msfry »

Most of the PD images I download from the internet come in 120 ppi (pixels per inch), a few in 72. When I crop and size my backgound image to 5" x 5" in Photoshop, it is 600 x 600 pixels. That's what I work with and use on the pdf cover case. Then of course I downsize it to 300 x 300 for the LV imageitem, and 150 x 150 for the thumbnail. I agree that's all the quality we need for online images (and they print out beautifully on glossy photo paper too at 5" x 5"), though it vexes me mightily that iTunes will not display our beautiful covers when you download a book to their platform or on their Podcast ap. . . . . . except once in a great while, it does!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That's more or less what I do too, except I use 800X800 .
Then I don't need to shrink it much which I feel it gives me more idea of the appearance of the finished product. Sometimes the really high resolution images don't shrink well

Anne
edited to make it more understandable I think
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

The Pollyanna v4 cover looks so beautiful! :9: Thanks to everyone who worked to create it!
amitsharma

Post by amitsharma »

msfry wrote: August 28th, 2018, 11:06 am Most of the PD images I download from the internet come in 120 ppi (pixels per inch), a few in 72. When I crop and size my backgound image to 5" x 5" in Photoshop, it is 600 x 600 pixels. That's what I work with and use on the pdf cover case. Then of course I downsize it to 300 x 300 for the LV imageitem, and 150 x 150 for the thumbnail. I agree that's all the quality we need for online images (and they print out beautifully on glossy photo paper too at 5" x 5"), though it vexes me mightily that iTunes will not display our beautiful covers when you download a book to their platform or on their Podcast ap. . . . . . except once in a great while, it does!
Okay. Thanks msfry, that sounds workable. I will try that the next time I get around to doing a cover. I saw the file sizes of some of your covers to get an idea of what to aim for and they are pretty small and easy to transfer.
thestorygirl wrote: August 28th, 2018, 7:32 pm The Pollyanna v4 cover looks so beautiful! :9: Thanks to everyone who worked to create it!
Many volunteers helped with this and you are welcome from my side thestorygirl. :thumbs:

Amit
Amit Sharma, CC

"You can call me crazy, but you're just jealous that the voices don't talk to you."
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Don't leave it too long before you make a cover , they are great and it's always nice to get a variety of covers , sort of like a book shop I feel

Anne
amitsharma

Post by amitsharma »

Thanks Anne, I'm grateful for your encouragement, I'll keep that in mind. :)

Amit
Amit Sharma, CC

msfry

Post by msfry »

msfry

Post by msfry »

annise wrote: August 28th, 2018, 2:45 pm That's more or less what I do too, except I use 800X800 . I feel it gives me more idea of the appearance of the finished product.

Anne
The zoom feature works great in Photoshop to see the fine detail, so 5 x 5 presents no problem.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've edited my post above to make it clearer .
Cover caught ......... and linked. Thank you :D

Anne
mahne

Post by mahne »

all covers made by mahne, constructive criticism appreciated
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Caught ... and linked. Thank you :D

Anne